Knee walkers are great tools for seniors that help them get around inside or outdoors without struggling with any sort of knee pain or injuries. They’re also great for anyone who just had surgery or injuries anywhere below the knee. These awesome mobility devices keep them stable while walking (or rolling, if you will) and act as a comfortable, easy to use alternative to crutches.
Crutches are terrible for seniors because they put unnecessary pressure on the shoulders and wrists. The knee walker alleviates that issue, with simple handles and most of the motion coming from the wheels, not your arms and leg.
Read on to find some of the best knee walkers particularly suited for the outdoors. If you are or know a senior who likes to spend a lot of time outside, but may be limited by knee pain or injury, this tool can really improve their quality of life and allow them to enjoy the outdoors with freedom and confidence.
Medical equipment should be discussed with or prescribed by a doctor, therapist, or other health professional. They know you and your medical history. I don’t. Always follow their advice. Nothing in this article should be construed as medical advice.
Comparison: Outdoor Knee Walkers
If you purchase an item through links on this site, I may earn an advertising fee (at absolutely no extra cost to you). This helps me pay for the site expenses and research without charging or using ads. Thanks for supporting Graying With Grace! Learn More
All-Terrain Knee Walker Reviews
KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter
$142.00 in stock
8 used from $ 132.06
- Ideal for individuals recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees. The Steerable Knee Scooter is one of the most proven and trusted knee walkers in the industry and an excellent crutch alternative.
- Excellent stability and control when maneuvering - these steerable knee walkers offer an adjustable locking handbrake and rear drum brake.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, the Steerable Knee Scooter kneeling walker features four 7.5 inch non-marking rubber wheels, a comfortable 3.5" thick contoured knee platform that is left or right-leg compatible, and a free basket.
- The Steerable Knee Scooter also features handlebars with a quick folding mechanism for easy transport and storage. Dual ankle design for extreme durability
- Fully adjustable handlebars and knee platform, this lightweight yet sturdy knee walker offers a robust 300 lb. weight capacity and is recommended for individuals with heights 5' - 6'6
KneeRover is one of the most popular brands of knee scooters, making all kinds with alternative or deluxe features. This is their best selling knee walker, and it’s incredibly highly rated by users. It is a steerable roller with two braking systems – one at the front with an adjustable locking handbrake, and another rear disc brake.
The handlebars are ergonomic and fold in easily for storage purposes, and despite its compact build, it can hold a whopping 300 lbs., so it’s suitable for seniors of any size. The knee pad is 3.5 inches thick and contoured to fit either knee. This knee roller also comes with a free basket to store your things and bring them along with you outside!
In terms of outdoor features, the wheels of this knee scooter are designed for indoor or outdoor use. The four wheels are 7.5 inches each, and made out of rubber that won’t markup any surfaces. The rubber is tough enough to be durable and handle outdoor conditions as well.
Drive Medical DV8 Aluminum Steerable Knee Walker
$141.99 in stock
3 used from $ 113.09
- Ideal for individuals recovering from foot surgery, breaks, sprains, amputation, and ulcers of the foot
- Knee walker can be steered for increased maneuverability; steering column folds for storage
- Leg pad with "channel" provides added stability and comfort
- Tool-free height adjustment of seat and handle
- Handle Height: 33"-37.5"; Knee Pad Dimensions: 14.25"(L) x 7.25"(W) x 17.5"-21.5"(H); Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
Drive Medical is another well-known senior mobility brand, making everything from wheelchair/walker combinations to this great knee walker. The advantage of this model is that the wheels are slightly bigger, at 8 inches each. They’re also made out of rubber.
Other than that, this knee walker can also hold about 300 pounds. It’s made out of aluminum, which is a very sturdy, durable material. It also has easily adjustable height features, as it doesn’t need any tools to adjust the height of the seat or the handles, both of which can be adjusted individually to fit seniors of any size. The steering column folds up for easy storage as well, and this knee walker is also slightly cheaper than my first pick.
Swivelmate Knee Walker with Basket,
$399.99 in stock
- The Swivelmate's unique patented belt drive steering outperforms every other knee walker on the market today by offering a 90 degree turning radius. This makes it the number one choice! It excels in smaller spaces, like your kitchen or bathroom.
- The Swivelmate's five 7" wheels are designed for indoor and outdoor use. It is designed specifically to be strong and stable, yet provide the user unparalleled maneuvering ability.
- The supportive extra thick 3" padded knee rest can be adjusted to accommodate users from approximately 4'9"-6'3". The steering column not only adjusts up and down, but can also be adjusted front to back to ensure the perfect fit.
- The Swivelmate includes a powerful disc brake for the most controlled braking, especially useful when going down ramps or inclines. The Swivelmate has dual hand brakes with easy to use parking brakes to keep you in place while standing still.
- The tool free assembly makes set up a breeze--it is up and ready to use in minutes! The Swivelmate is very easy to fold, just unscrew the large black thumbscrew a few turns and fold down the steering column for effortless storage in your car, or for storage.
While this Swivelmate knee walker is much more expensive than other models, it gives you greater maneuverability as well, so if that’s something you value (which I assume is the case if you’re looking at knee walkers), this is a good investment purchase. It offers a full 90-degree turning radius, allowing you to use it easily in tight spaces and around the house – even in a small bathroom.
The wheels are also designed for indoor/outdoor use, all four made out of rubber and are extremely durable. They’re only 7 inches, but you don’t necessarily need large wheels to effectively maneuver the outdoors.
Other specs of this model include a 3 inch padded knee seat that has an easy height adjustment feature. You can also adjust the steering column up and down to adjust for height, and also front and back to account for shorter or longer arms. The braking system of this model is high powered as well, with a disc brake at the back and dual hand brakes near the handlebars. This knee roller gives you the most versatility, by far, out of any of these choices.
Small Petite Adult All Terrain KneeRover Jr
2 used from $ 200.64
- Ideal for small adults and kids recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees. The All Terrain KneeRover Jr is an excellent alternative to crutches and offers the most versatility among knee walkers.
- Indoor - Outdoor All Terrain knee scooter features 9 inch pneumatic tires - perfect for navigating your home, work, and any terrain with ease - including grass, gravel, dirt and gaps in sidewalks. Note: you will need to inflate tires upon receiving the unit
- These steerable knee walkers offer an advanced automotive style tie-rod steering mechanism and NEW KneeRover Stabilizer training wheel for maximum stability and control.
- Fully adjustable knee platform and handle bars with easy folding mechanism for simple transport and storage of rolling knee walker.Powerful, Durable and Agile
- Heavy duty double bar construction offers unprecedented strength and stability for a knee scooter. All Terrain KneeRover knee walker offers a 250 lb. weight capacity and is recommended for individuals with heights 4'3" - 5'9".
If you need something a little smaller than the model above, this knee roller is made for more petite adults who still need that added knee support and maneuverability. Ironically, this model also has the largest, most heavy duty wheels out of all of my picks! The wheels are indoor/outdoor all-terrain pneumatic tires, measuring 9 inches tall. They can navigate anything from tile or hardwood floor without scuffing it, to gravel, dirt, and gaps in sidewalks easily.
They knee platform and handlebars are all fully adjustable, and the double bar construction of the device itself gives it extra stability and control. It has about a 250 lb. weight capacity, and is suitable for adults ranging from 4’3” to 5’9”.
KneeRover Universal Knee Walker Cover
$15.99 in stock
2 used from $ 12.14
- DESIGNED TO FIT MOST KNEE WALKERS AND KNEE SCOOTERS. Dimensions are: 14" x 8" x 4" installed
- EASY TO INSTALL: Stretchable elastic securely fits over knee pad for superior comfort and better air circulation
- MAXIMUM COMFORT: Soft and cozy sheepette fleece cover provides extra cushion while distributing pressure evenly across knee pad platform
- EASY CARE: Machine Washable cover is easy to clean - simply remove cover and put in washing machine and fluff dry
- PROTECTION & RELIEF: Helps reduce pressure, friction, and skin irritation; while reducing everyday wear and tear on the knee pad
Looking for a little extra comfort out of your knee walker? Sometimes the rubber padded cushion just isn’t enough, especially if you have knee pain. If this is the case for you, check out knee pad covers like this one. It’s made out of soft, comfortable sheepette fleece to add warmth, comfort, and extra softness. It acts as a second cushion for your knee, reducing friction on the skin and distributing pressure more evenly across the cushion. It’s easy to install, with a simple elastic edge that grasps onto the knee platform of the roller. It’s also washing washable as an added plus.
Summary and Final Thoughts
Knee walkers, also called knee scooters, are a type of walker that allows the user to rest the injured leg while pushing with their good leg. You can learn more about knee walkers and how to use them by clicking here. Rollators are also great mobility devices to use outside – click here to learn more about those.
Personally, if I was looking for a high-quality knee walker to get me around my house and around the neighborhood, I’d go with the Swivelmate model. It gives you the most features and versatility and accommodates almost any size adult.
What’s your favorite knee walker? Do you have any tips for living with a knee or ankle injury? Share below or on your favorite social media!