Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious but common sleep disorder that causes sufferers to stop breathing as they sleep. This is an issue that plagues many older adults. In some cases, the condition can even be fatal. Even less serious cases of sleep apnea can cause problems. After all, it isn’t easy to sleep next to someone who snores!
Thankfully, there are some simple and effective ways to improve this condition. Some studies suggest that elevating your body with a foam wedge pillow can keep your airway from collapsing while you sleep. Sleep apnea, though, is a serious condition. If you suspect you have OSA, you should discuss this with your doctor immediately.
So, you have now talked to your doctor and want to try elevating your head? These are some of the best wedge pillows for sleep apnea. Wedge pillows can also reduce acid reflux, nasal congestion, and many other issues.
Wedge Pillow Reviews
AllSett Health Bed Wedge Pillow
This foldable wedge pillow is a terrific choice for seniors with sleep apnea, but its multipurpose design makes it ideal for other uses as well. The pillow offers a 7-in-1 design, and it can be used to support the head, back, and legs.
Everyone has a certain position that they like to sleep in, and this pillow is specifically designed to accommodate that. The pillow can easily be adjusted to provide a steep slope or a more gradual slope without having to order another size. When the pillow is not being used, it can easily be folded and stored.
- Adjustable pillow can provide a 30 or 60-degree angle
- Great option for seniors that sleep on their side
- Carry handle makes this pillow ideal for traveling
- Machine-washable cover is easy to remove and made from a breathable material
- Grey cover may not match bedding
- Pillow may be too firm for some users
- Many users report that the pillow does not come with instructions
Avana Bed Wedge Pillow
This luxurious pillow is designed to provide maximum comfort during the night. The wedge pillow is made with cooling memory foam that is gel-infused, allowing users to stay cool even when temperatures are hot. The pillow is available at an 8-inch and 12-inch height.
While there are many wedge pillows that can help people with sleep apnea relieve their symptoms, this is one of the only pillows on the market made from premium materials. The back wedge pillow has a dual surface cover made from bamboo knit and camel microsuede. This is a well-made pillow that can effectively treat the symptoms of sleep apnea while providing exceptional comfort.
- Offers a truly luxurious sleeping experience
- Great choice for back and side sleepers
- Camel suede cover keeps the pillow from slipping during the night
- No new product odors
- More expensive than many other wedge pillows on the market
- Firm memory foam not comfortable for all users
- Pillow’s incline is very steep
- Some users say that they struggled to adjust to the pillow’s unusual design
Cushy Form Bed Wedge Pillow
This large wedge pillow can transform any bed into a comfortable recliner. The pillow, which is made from high-density memory foam, is perfect for lounging in bed or preventing snoring during the night. It can easily be adjusted so that any user can find the right angle.
The pillow is designed to conform to your body as you sleep, making it extremely comfortable. It can be used alone or with another pillow on top for additional neck support. It also comes with a removable, washable cover, which will keep the pillow from getting too hot during the night.
- In addition to treating sleep apnea, the pillow can help people with acid reflux and GERD
- Removable cover makes the pillow easy to clean
- Multipurpose pillow that can easily be adjusted
- Comes with a 100% money-back guarantee
- Firm pillow may not be comfortable for all users
- Shorter than many other wedge pillows on the market
- Some users report that the pillow has an odor
InteVision Foam Bed Wedge Pillow
This comfortable wedge pillow has an unusual two-layer design. In addition to the standard wedge pillow, this set comes with an additional neck pillow. Layering the two pillows on top of each other can help seniors sleep more comfortably. It’s an especially great choice for people that aren’t used to sleeping on their backs.
The memory foam headrest can be adjusted for height so that anyone can find the right position for sleeping. The removable washable cover is made from a hypoallergenic material, making it a great choice for seniors that struggle with allergies.
- Set includes wedge pillow and headrest
- Pillow available in three different sizes
- Washable cover included and additional pillowcases available
- Headrest makes the pillow more comfortable to sleep on
- The neck pillow has a different cover than the wedge pillow
- Some users report that they slide down the pillow as they sleep
- Largest versions of the pillow may not be comfortable to sleep on
Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Bed Wedge Pillow
This hypoallergenic pillow comes with a removable, washable bamboo cover. The pillow provides a 30-degree incline, which can help people with sleep apnea while still providing a restful night of sleep. While this pillow doesn’t have some of the features that other wedge pillows offer, it does have a lower price tag. It’s one of the most affordable wedge pillows on the market.
The pillow can keep your torso elevated and provide proper spinal support during the night, which means it can also reduce back pain. It’s made from a high-quality memory foam that won’t go flat, even when the pillow is used nightly. Both the pillow and its cover are made from durable materials that hold up over time.
- Smaller pillow that won’t take up too much space
- Bamboo cover is removable, washable, and provides a comfortable surface for sleeping
- Simple design makes it easy to use
- Backed by a 100% lifetime warranty
- Pillow isn’t adjustable
- Some users report that the pillow has an odor
- Mild incline may not be ideal for all users
- Pillow is not designed for side sleepers
Brentwood Therapeutic Foam Bed Wedge Sleep Pillow
This durable, high-quality wedge pillow is designed to provide a healthy and comfortable night’s sleep. The pillow has a gradual slope, allowing it to treat sleep apnea without causing neck or shoulder pain. It comes in 7-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch sizes and can be positioned in several different ways.
The pillow comes with a soft, stretch-knit bamboo cover that can be removed and washed as needed. There are several different models available, including models with a gel and a latex layer.
- Pillow is available in a range of sizes
- Comes with a washable bamboo cover
- Ideal for seniors with back or neck problems
- Can also be used to elevate feet or legs
- Bamboo cover can cause slippage
- Foam is made without standard flame retardants
- Some users say that the pillow is too firm
Summary and Final Recommendations
Although people often laugh about snoring, sleep apnea is a condition that should be taken seriously. Sleep apnea increases the risk of heart failure, coronary heart disease, and strokes. Patients that seek medical help with their sleep apnea see a significant improvement in their quality of life. Your doctor may suggest elevating your head at night to help which is exactly what a wedge pillow does.
ALSO READ: Best Mattress Toppers for the Elderly
There are many ways to deal with sleep apnea, including CPAP machines, but wedge pillows are an affordable and effective option. Wedge pillows have grown in popularity in recent years, and today, there are many options available. Take a closer look at some of the best wedge pillows for sleep apnea on the market to see if there’s an option you’d like to try.
Have you tried a wedge pillow for your sleep apnea? Tell me about your experiences in the comments below!