Winter is coming. You may want to prepare yourselves for the upcoming cold phenomena, especially in your senior years where feeling cold is such a bother.
Wouldn’t you want to spend your winter holidays in a warm and cozy blanket? Or simply enjoy it in your living room with your family not feeling cold?
Although eating freshly baked ginger bread cookies, drinking hot cocoa, or wearing socks may lessen the chills of winter, there are two exquisite items that could make your holidays the best one you’ve had in a long time. These are the electric blanket and space heater.
But which of the two would you prefer?
Let us dig deep into electric blankets vs space heaters and compare them against each other to help you decide your cold weather saving needs.
Why Choose an Electric Blanket?
First, we have the electric blanket. From the word itself, it is a blanket powered by electricity. It feels like a comforter with wires embedded inside the material. These wires power up the blanket for it to produce comfortable heat when you are covered by it.
To use one, you need a working power outlet near your bed or sofa. (You can use electric blankets with your recliner too!) Since it is powered electrically, this is an important factor to remember. You then plug the power cable to the outlet then control your remote to turn it on.
Once it is turned on, you may now control the temperature you desire to heat you up. There are even other functions like automatic temperature settings that you can set up or heat sensors that automatically turns off your blanket once it gets too hot.
The electric blanket is an excellent choice when you want to feel cozy in your bed or sofa. You can even get throw blanket sized electric blankets for your living room and full size models for your bed. You can snuggle with your grandkids when they are playing with you or when they want to sleep beside you.
Not only that, you can wash and dry your electric blanket. Just make sure to follow the instructions on how to wash it based on the manual included with your purchase.
- Purchasing an electric blanket is affordable and not hurtful to your wallet.
- There are also a lot of options to choose from when it comes to the color or size of your desire.
- It is user friendly and it has a manual that could be helpful for the senior users.
- The most important of them all, its safety feature with regards to heat sensing is available on most products these days.
- Not all things are made perfectly. If you are the type of person who wants to move around the house and not stay in bed, this is not the option for you. The electric blanket is only limited to heating you up when you are covered by it.
- There will also be times that the temperature you set may be too hot for you and make you feel uncomfortable. Changing the temperature settings would fix this. But if you want continuous heat comfort and not changing the settings, you need to set it up at a lower temperature.
Why Choose a Space Heater?
Now, if you are planning to go on a holiday movie marathon or open gifts with your family and grandchildren, you might want to consider a space heater for such events. It is an affordable solution for your room to warm up the way you want it.
The way a space heater operates is simple. It depends on the size you purchase. The bigger the space heater, the larger the area it covers. You don’t need an outlet near your bed or your sofa. You just need to place it in an area where it can widely spread the heat and there you have it.
There are two types of space heaters for seniors on the market, the basic heater and the digital heater. Knowingly, the digital ones would cost you more, but it would still depend on your preference on which is easier for you to handle.
- Space heaters are an affordable solution if you want your whole room to be heated up in the winter season.
- Not only is it cheap in the market, but it would also help you in the long term since it does not consume much electricity.
- It won’t raise your electric bill too much, which proves beneficial for any budget-conscious senior.
- Take note that the heat it gives off depends on its size. So, there will be instances that it could not totally heat up your room at once. Or it could not heat it up at all.
- Also, this could be a safety issue when it comes to your grandchildren. They might play with it and might get hurt in the process.
An electric blanket and a space heater are both cost effective products that you could purchase to heat up your cold days. The best option for you depends on your unique applications.
If you want to heat up the whole room, then a space heater is the obvious choice. But if just want to stay warm in your bed, then an electric blanket works wonders.
The choice is yours to take since they are both good products either way.