The home telephone isn’t dead yet. There’s still a lot to be said for having a landline home phone, especially in areas where phone signals can be unreliable.
Many modern cordless phones put presentation over function, however, and aren’t ideal for seniors who may have poor eyesight or difficulty making precise movements to push small buttons. Cordless phones for seniors are designed to be easy to use, with big buttons and easy access to important features such as caller-ID and quick dialing.
Here’s a quick overview of some of my favorite large button cordless phones for seniors.
Recommended Large Button Cordless Phones for Seniors
The following cordless phones have larger buttons than other cordless phones so they are easier to see and use. Many also feature senior-friendly features like loud ringers, volume amplifications, and memory functions.
Clarity D703 Amplified Low Vision Cordless Phone
- Easy to see high contrast numbers
- Contoured keys with soft-touch material for comfort
- Ten speed dial buttons to store important numbers
- Belt clip for hands free mobility
- Hear-It-Ring Clarity ringer has ten (10) loud and clear melodies plus six (6) levels of volume
This cordless phone from Clarity is designed for people who are suffering from moderate visual impairment. It features large, backlit buttons and a caller ID display. The phone also has an audio boost feature and 10 loud ringtones, making it a potentially useful home phone for seniors with moderate hearing issues.
This phone is easy to use, and a good choice for seniors who have either visual impairment or hearing difficulties. However, if someone has issues with both hearing and sight they may find that certain accessibility features are difficult to use. For example, the button for audio boost is adjacent to the button for muting the phone. So it is easy to press the wrong button by accident.
It’s almost always near the top of the list when I make recommendations for the best cordless phones for seniors and the elderly.
VTech SN5127 Amplified Cordless Senior Phone System
- 1, 000 Name and number smart call Block directory
- 50Db audio assist: temporarily increases overall volume by up to 50Db and enhances Sound frequencies that make speech easier to understand.
- Photo dial: never forget whose number is whose. Program four frequently dialed Phone numbers and attach a photo to each one for convenient speed dialing.
- Big buttons, large display: oversized buttons and an easy-to-read display screen make the system Super easy and comfortable to use.
- 90Db ringer volume: The extra-loud ringer makes it easy to hear incoming calls throughout your home.
This cordless phone from VTech is aimed at seniors with eyesight or hearing issues. The phone features a loud visual ringer, bright display, and large buttons. There are four large speed dial buttons on the base unit, and the handset has an SOS button as well as an audio-assist button for increased clarity in calls.
This VTech system can be expanded with visual doorbell ringers and personal SOS bands for added safety and security. You can connect up to 30 devices, in total, to one base station. This makes it a good choice for people with mobility issues who may want to have access to handsets / doorbell alerts in every room of the house.
This cordless phone is designed with ease of use and reliability at the forefront. Features such as the four-speed dial buttons help seniors to stay in touch with their friends and family, without them needing to learn to navigate confusing or long-winded menus to find phone numbers.
Panasonic KX-TGE210B Amplified Cordless Phone
- Ideal for Home or Small Business Use: Single-line phone ideal for home or home office use
- Large Backlit Display and Keypad: Large, 1.8-inch white backlit handset display and large keypad; Call Block: 250 numbers
- Enhanced Transmission Quality and Range: DECT 6.0: transmission quality, range and security are improved by increasing the frequency of error correction up to 80x
- Talking Caller ID: With Panasonic home phone system, you can hear who’s calling from across the room; Talking Caller ID feature uses text-to-speech technology, announcing the caller’s information in between rings
- Noise Reduction Technology: Panasonic’s Enhanced Noise Reduction not only suppresses background noise but also enhances your voice at the same time; A headset jack provides added convenience
This cordless phone has large buttons, noise reduction features, and talking caller ID which will announce the name of the caller in between rings. This makes the phone a good choice for those with hearing issues too. This cordless phone is quite smart and understated looking and wouldn’t be out of place in any home.
It looks like a large cordless phone, rather than a “senior phone” so those who wish to retain their independence would still feel happy using it. Panasonic have been making cordless phones for a long time, and are a trusted brand in the market. This cordless phone is lightweight but has durable buttons and is easy to use.
In addition to the features mentioned above, this cordless phone has some other useful high-tech features, such as the ability to link it to a compatible smartphone. There is also the option to connect the phone to key detectors so that the user can trigger the beep of the detector to help them locate their keys or other lost items. These features are slightly confusing to set up, but are easy to use once they are up and running.
Northwestern Bell Big Button Cordless Phone
- DECT 6.0 Phone with Caller ID/Call Waiting
- Interference Free Communication Increased Clarity / Enhanced Security
The Northwestern Bell big-button DECT cordless phone is a chunky and rugged cordless phone with large, clear buttons that are easy to see, and also easy to find by touch alone. The phone has a powerful battery and also interference-free operation for good call clarity. This is ideal for use by seniors who have eyesight difficulties.
There are braille markings on the keys of this handset, which makes it very useful for those with disabilities. The phones are easy to use and well made, and the large antenna ensures good reception even if you walk out of the room with the base station while on a call.
AT&T EL52213 2-Handset Cordless Phone with Answering System
- Simulated full-duplex handset speakerphone: Enjoy a speakerphone that can keep up with your calls. Increase participation by allowing both ends to speak-and be heard-at the same time for conversations that are more true to life
- Extra large display for easy viewing: Easy-to-read LCD on the cordless handset. High-contrast black text on a white background provides for an easy-to-read screen to view incoming Caller ID or review call history. The lighted keypad also allows for easy dialing in low-light conditions
- Big buttons: Enlarged font and extra-large, backlit keys make the keypad easy to use, This feature is especially helpful for those who are visually impaired
- Caller ID/call waiting1—50 name and number caller ID history: Handset displays the name, number, time and date of incoming calls
- Expandable up to 5 handsets (uses 50003 accessory handset) With up to 5 handsets using just one jack, this model is ideal for your busy home or small office (model 50003 accessory handset sold separately)
This cordless phone works as a speakerphone too, with simulated full duplex so that both participants on the call can speak, and hear, at once. The phone has a large, clear, black and white display and big backlit buttons that are easy to see and press. The buttons give good tactile feedback as well as an audible beep when pressed. The phone features a built-in, remotely accessible answerphone, the option to save 50 numbers, and caller ID.
This cordless phone is a good choice for seniors with poor eyesight. Some people with hearing difficulties report that even on the top volume it is too quiet for them. The phone allows you to set how many rings to allow before the answerphone kicks in, however, the options are limited, which leaves some people struggling to reach the phone in time.
AT&T CRL82312 3-Handset Expandable Cordless Phone with Answering System
- DECT 6.0 digital technology. Mute option available
- Extra-large LCD display
- Extra-large buttons with backlit keys make the keypad easy to use
- Visual ringing indicator and expandable to 12 handsets
- 50 name and number phone book directory.Compatible with AT&T cordless headset
Another high-quality offering from AT&T, this cordless phone features an extra-large display, substantial, backlit buttons and a visual ringer. This phone system can be expanded to up to 12 handsets and has lots of useful ‘quality of life’ features, such as being able to go into Do Not Disturb mode for a short time with a single button press, and the ability to answer the phone by pressing any button. This easy to use cordless phone is a good choice for seniors and for large families too.
This is a great phone with conference calling features, a phone book and last number redial. It is popular with seniors with visual impairment and it is easy to understand why.
Summary and Final Comments
It happens to us all: small buttons with tiny print become impossible to read. It happened to me in my early 40’s.
These cordless phones with large buttons make home phones easier to see and therefore easier to use. No more struggling or squinting to see who you are calling. Or, who is calling you.
I tried to give you a range of options from simple cordless phones that are easier to see to phones that also help you hear better too. There are even a few full featured options on the list too! Hopefully, one of these will make your phone use much simpler!