There is a lot to love about this phone - big, bold buttons, lots of sound amplification, safety features, and loud ringer options.
- Color-coded large buttons with bold print are easy to see
- It talks! Announces incoming callers by name and says the numbers out loud
- Boosts incoming calls to 40dB
- Very loud ringer (90dB) with flashing light
- Safety features like page button & battery backup
- Has 8 one-touch memory dials with emergency button
- There are some extra buttons that may confuse some seniors
I like this amplified cordless phone a little better than some others. Mainly because the functions are better laid out than some of the other models. And, although looks aren’t super important, I think it is a better-looking phone too. This model is designed for those with moderate hearing loss and low vision.
Serene Innovations CL-30 Review and Details
Here’s what you should know if you are considering buying this cordless phone for seniors.
(This product is featured in my guide to the best cordless phones for seniors – read by clicking here)
Big, Easy to Read Buttons
The bold black print on the large white buttons is very easy to see on this phone. I also think the layout of the buttons seems a little easier to understand. The key buttons are color-coded which should make them easier to use after some experience with the phone.
The buttons are backlit too for use in the dark and have a talking function. The handset literally says out loud the number or function of the button as it is pressed.
While on the subject of the buttons, though, there are several of them. This could get confusing for some seniors with more advanced memory problems.
Talking Caller ID
This one has the talking caller ID too that announces out loud the name of the incoming caller. Seniors will know who is calling and whether or not they should get up and answer because of this feature.
The buttons also say the number and function out loud to help reduce errors while using the phone.
This model boosts the volume of the incoming call up to 40 dB which is pretty significant and one of the highest amplifications available in this price range. It also uses a high definition sound system which enhances clarity of the call for better hearing and understanding.
There is a loud, amplified speakerphone built into the handset. I laugh a little as I type this because my grandmother used her cordless phone speaker all the time. She could hear better with it and thought it was easy.
There are 8 one-touch dialing buttons on the handset labeled M1 through M8. The buttons are small though as is expected. There is an area on the base where you can write who is assigned to the memory buttons for reference. There is also room on the handset itself but the writing would be small.
The M1 button is red and I recommend setting it an emergency number like 911 or a trusted family member. The red stands out from the rest of the buttons.
The CL-30 has a very loud ringer at 90 db. This is extremely loud – like the neighbors might hear it loud. It is adjustable up and down too.
The ringer volume is also supplemented by a flashing light that also get senior’s attention when the phone rings.
Pressing the page button on the base makes the handset ring. This is very helpful for finding lost handsets.
You can add extra handsets up to a total of 4. This is great for having extra phones in bedrooms or bathrooms for safety and quick access.
Anther safety feature for seniors is the battery backup. This allows the phone to be used even during power outages!
Hearing Aid Compatible
The handset is hearing aid compatible.
Compare Current Prices
If you purchase an item through links on this site, I may earn an advertising fee (at absolutely no extra cost to you). This helps me pay for the site expenses and research without charging or using ads. Thanks for supporting Graying With Grace! Learn More
Manufacturer: Serene Innovations
Manufacturer Specs: (Source)
- Talking Caller ID announces incoming caller in English or French.
- Large, brightly backlit keys for easy viewing in darkened areas.
- All keys “talk-back” in clear voice (English or French) to confirm that the desired number was pressed.
- Amplifies incoming sound up to 40+dB louder.
- Eight (8) one-touch speed dial buttons for easy calling.
- One-touch call-for-help button for expedited emergency calls.
- Hearing aid-compatible handset.
- Expandable up to four (4) handsets in total (sold seperately).
- High-Definition Sound (HDS) technology for enhanced voice clarity and understanding.
- High-performance speakerphone.
- Bright visual ring flasher and super-loud 90+dB ringer on handset and base for incoming calls.
- DECT 6.0 technology for superior range and freedom from interference.
- Battery backup for full operation during power outage (batteries not included).
There are a lot of great features on this phone to help those with low vision and moderate hearing loss. The bold, color-coded buttons are easy to see and use. The volume and ringers are loud. There are safety features too like the emergency button, page button, and battery backup that are important. I highly recommend this one.