It’s a much more common problem than you would think. Some walkers for seniors are just too wide for small homes or the narrow doorways of an older house. But, did you know some walkers and rollators are wider than others? Here are some narrow walkers for small spaces that will fit in tiny homes as well as tight doors.
I had this happen in my own family. After a serious leg fracture, my grandmother used a walker with wheels for several months. Her bathroom door was only 24.75″ wide though. So, the walker she was given when she left rehab did not fit and she had to go through the door sideways. This often left her off balance.
How did I solve the problem? Read the tips below to find out!
Medical equipment should be discussed with or prescribed by a doctor, therapist, or other health professional. They know you and your medical history. I don’t. Always follow their advice. Nothing in this article should be construed as medical advice.
- What are the Best Narrow Walkers?
- Narrow Walker and Rollator Reviews
- How Can a Narrow Width Help Seniors with Mobility Problems?
- Tips for Making An Existing Walker Fit Small Spaces Better
- How to Measure Your Home For a Walker and Rollator
- Drawbacks of Narrow Walkers for Seniors
- Summary and Final Recommendations
What are the Best Narrow Walkers?
Here are my favorite skinny walkers for seniors to consider. Use this chart to quickly compare sizes, pricing and more. Scroll down to read individual reviews of each product.
If you purchase an item through links on this site, I may earn an advertising fee (at absolutely no extra cost to you). That way, I don’t have to use those annoying ads or popups we all hate. Thanks for supporting Graying With Grace! Learn More
Narrow Walker and Rollator Reviews
Here are my detailed reviews for each of my recommendations – based on my on the job experience!
Lumex RJ4301R Walkabout Lite Rollator (20" Wide)
$96.80 in stock
- Epoxy-coated aluminum frame
- Locking loop brakes
- Removable wire storage basket
- Adjustable handle height
- 6" wheels for indoor or outdoor use
I’m going to start you out with an ultra narrow walker. But, first credit where it’s due.
This recommendation came out of a question from a reader on this post who was looking for a narrow rollator she could use in her small house (Thanks Jan!). You see, her bathroom door is only 22″ wide. Most rollators will not fit through doors this small. But I found one that will.
This rollator by Lumex is only 20″ in total width at it’s widest part (the wheels). This means it will fit about anywhere. It is also very lightweight – only weighing 11.5 lbs. It folds easy too, has storage under the seat, and hand brakes like many of the other rollators I recommend.
One caution with this one though. Because it is so narrow, it will not fit some people.
Sure, it does have a 300 lb weight capacity but it is only 14″ wide between the hand grips. The seat is only 12″ wide. So, people who are wider than that at the hips won’t be able to fit between them. This could mean no sitting down or an unsafe walking posture.
- The durable aluminum construction also keeps it light weight.
- Padded tubular backrest gives a place to rest the back while seated.
- The handles adjust to fit users from 4’10” to 5’4″
- Only comes in burgundy.
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs
Drive Medical Winnie Lite Rollator (26" Wide)
$72.96 in stock
- Special loop lock made of internal aluminum casting operates easily and ensures safety
- 7.5" casters with soft-grip tires are ideal for indoor and outdoor use. Adjustable brakes
- Handles easily adjust in height with self-threading knob. Easy, one-hand folding
- Note-users must push the folding hinge until straight to secure the unit is in the proper position. If the rollator is not completely opened it could become unbalanced
- Overall Dimensions: 22.75"(L) x 26"(W) x 32"(H); Handle Height: 32-38 inches; Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
The Winnie 3 wheel walker rollator from Drive Medical offers a small, compact design to help navigate small spaces and tight turns.
At its widest point, it is 26″ wide and only 22.75″ long!
In addition to being a small walker, it is also lightweight and only requires one hand for most people to lift. This makes it easy to transport and load into vehicles.
I think this one is a great choice for a small walker that fits in most spaces. It’s small size makes it easy to control and transport.
Quite frankly, it’s one of the best walkers for seniors – period.
- The Winnie Lite folds easily with just one hand which makes it easy to transport and store.
- It has hand-operated brakes that also lock the walker in place for safe usage.
- A handy and stylish plaid carrying pouch is included to help carry small items, purses, and accessories.
- The Winnie fits most users from 5’3″ tall to 6’2″ tall because of the adjustable handles which adjust from 32″ to 38″ high.
- It will easily fit through doors that are 26″ wide or wider. The overall length of this walker is only 21.75″ long.
- Most seniors will be able to lift this walker too because it only weighs 11 lbs
NOVA Traveler 3 Wheel Rollator (24.25" Wide)
$93.09 in stock
5 used from $ 86.57
- FEATURES: The Traveler is the ideal walker for maneuvering diverse and small spaces, is super easy to fold in just seconds and stays in a folded standard position making it so easy to roll and park just about anywhere. It comes with a tray, large zippered storage pouch and basket. Comes with NOVA's standard features and beautiful long lasting paint finish
- WHEELS & BRAKES: Equipped with All-Terrain 8" rubber wheels with a 1 3/4" wide base, NOVA's wheels are durable, great for indoor and outdoor use and make the ride smooth and stable. NOVA's patented feather touch hand brakes are uniquely designed for maximum comfort and control. It is easy to engage the brake with a small grip and minimal hand strength. Parking or locking the brakes takes just a gentle push downward on the lever and a pull upwards to release. Our brakes are backed by the best Brake Warranty with a 5 year warranty on all brake parts
- TRAY & STORAGE: Comes with a tray, basket and zippered pouch which are all removable. The tray is ideal for transporting food and small items such as a cell phone. The large basket and zippered pouch provide lots of storage for personal items. Tray Dimensions: 9.5"W x 8"D; Pouch Dimensions: 11.75"W x 9"D x 11.75"H; Basket Dimensions: 10"W x 9"D x 9.5"L
- SPECIFICATIONS: Approximate user height of 5'4" - 6'2"; Weight Capacity is 250 lb.; Walker weight is 16 lb.; Handle height adjustable from 33"-37.25"; Width between handles: 12"; Overall dimensions: 24.25"W x 23.75"D
- WARRANTY: NOVA walkers are built for life and backed by the best service and warranty. The NOVA Traveler has a Lifetime Limited Warranty on the frame and 5 Warranty on the Brakes. Your complete satisfaction is our only goal
If you need the narrowest, smallest walker you can find, this one is a great choice.
At only 24.25″ wide at its widest point, it will fit through most openings and small, tight spaces.
It is also designed to fit most users with a 250 lb weight capacity and plenty of height adjustment.
Nova even throws in a few extras like a basket and tray for convenience and safety.
- The Nova is one of the narrowest, lightweight small walker/rollators. The 8″ wheels also make it a great choice for those who use their walker outdoors.
- It fits users from 5’4″ to 6’2″ tall with handles that adjust from 33″ to 37.25″ high.
- This model includes extra accessories like a carrying pouch plus a carrying basket with a lid that doubles as a tray for food and/or drinks.
- It comes in three color choices: blue, red, black, and purple
- Because the width at the widest point is only 24.25″ wide, it is one of the more narrow walkers available. It is a bit longer (27.25″) than some of the others which means it won’t be quite as maneuverable because it will take more space to turn it.
- It weighs 16 lb which puts it in the middle of the pack as far as the weight.
- The weight capacity is less than some others (250 lbs) so check the weight of the user carefully.
Drive Medical 2 Button Folding Universal Walker (21.75" Wide)
4 used from $ 26.61
- Side brace adjusts with height of walker to provide additional stability
- Newly designed rear glide cap allows walker to glide easily and smoothly over most surfaces
- Each side operates independently to allow easy movement through narrow spaces and greater stability
- Sturdy 1" diameter aluminum construction ensures maximum strength while remaining lightweight
- Handle Height: 28.5"-38.5"; Width Between Handgrips: 17"; Width Between Legs: 17"; Base Depth: 17.75"; Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
This universal folding walker from Drive Medical is one of the best standard walkers you’ll find.
It is one of the narrowest walkers available at only 21.75″ wide and is also very lightweight for easy travel.
I also love that it has over 10″ of height adjustment to fit elderly people who are both below average height and average height.
Transporting this walker is easy because of its lightweight and easy folding mechanism. It really is a universal walker because almost any senior can use it.
- This is one of the narrowest folding walkers I have been able to find. It’s only 21.75″ wide with or without wheels when you reverse wheels so that they are on inside.
- It uses a two-button folding mechanism which allows you to fold one side in at a time for additional stability and easy folding, loading, and storage.
- Because of the adjustments on this standard walker, it is a nearly universal adult and junior size.
- The legs are height adjustable from 28.5″ to 38.5″ high so it will fit seniors from 4’10” to 6’2″ tall.
- It comes with 5″ wheels on front and glide tips on back which helps it glide smoothly across a variety of flooring surfaces.
- This walker is very portable because it weighs only 7 lbs and will support seniors up to 300 lbs.
NOVA GetGo Petite Rollator Walker (22" Wide)
$130.99 in stock
2 used from $ 100.85
- FEATURES: The GetGO Classic is a true NOVA classic with our signature design and great features. The GetGo comes in 3 sizes - Classic, Petite & Junior. The Petite is for a more narrow and petite user. The GetGO also comes with a much needed bonus feature - The Lock n' Load, that locks the walker in a folded position, making it much easier to lift in and out of a vehicle or any storage situation. The beautiful metallic paint finish is attractive and long lasting
- SEAT & STORAGE: The 2" thick padded seat is comfortable, durable and easy to clean. Seat Dimensions: 13.5"W x 12.5"D. The roomy pouch is great to store and carry personal items - and keep them secure and out of sight. There is also a small pocket inside the pouch for keys and phones. Pouch Dimensions: 16"W x 7.25"D
- SPECIFICATIONS: Approximate user height of 4'10" - 5'4"; Seat height is 18.5"; Weight Capacity is 300 lb.; Walker weight is 13 lb.; Handle height adjustable from 29"-33.25"; Width between handles: 15.75"; Overall dimensions: 22"W x 23.5"D
- WHEELS & BRAKES: Equipped with 6" rubber wheels with 1" wide base, NOVA's wheels are durable, great for indoor and outdoor use and make the ride smooth and stable. NOVA's patented feather touch hand brakes are uniquely designed for maximum comfort and control. It is easy to engage the brake with a small grip and minimal hand strength. Parking or locking the brakes takes just a gentle push downward on the lever and a pull upwards to release. Our brakes are backed by the best Brake Warranty with a 5 year warranty on all brake parts
- WARRANTY: NOVA walkers are built for life and backed by the best service and warranty. The NOVA GetGo has a Lifetime Limited Warranty on the frame and 5 Warranty on the Brakes. Your complete satisfaction is our only goal
The Nova GetGO Petite is one of the narrowest rolling walkers on the market. It is also one of the shorter walkers on the market. (See my other recommended small walkers in this guide.)
The Nova Petite rollator is only 22″ wide at its widest point and only 23.75″ long. It comes with a comfortable padded seat, storage basket, and it folds up quickly and easily for storage and transportation.
However, because this petite rollator is small and narrow, it is only designed to fit people up to 5’4″ tall.
- This is one of the best narrow rolling walkers with seat on the market – it’s only 22″ wide at the widest point!
- The handles are height adjustable from 29″ to 33.5″ tall to fit users from 4’10” to 5’4″ tall.
- Because it is so small overall, the padded seat is only 12″ wide by 12″ deep which will only fit smaller framed people.
- It comes in three color choices: red, blue, and pink.
- Weighs only 13 lb making it easy to fold, lift, and travel for most seniors.
- It supports seniors up to 300 lbs too.
Drive Medical Adjustable Height Rollator (24" Wide)
2 used from $ 72.73
- Universal height adjustment on frame allows seat height to be adjusted from 18" to 22" in 1" increments
- Comes with seamless padded seat with zippered pouch under seat for added privacy and security of personal items
- Removable, hinged, padded backrest can be folded up or down and comes with new seamless padded seat with zippered pouch under seat
- Caster journals are offset to provide strength; Brakes with serrated edges provide firm hold
- Ergonomic handles are easy to grip and are adjustable in height with self-threading knob
For elderly people who are average height and need a narrow, rolling, folding walker or rollator, this is one of the best.
This narrow rollator from Drive Medical is only 24″ wide but has all the standard features including a padded seat and storage area.
It is easy to fold and lightweight making it easy to transport. It is also narrow enough to fit through most any standard doorway.
- This narrow rollator is only 24″ wide by 27″ long.
- Its handles adjust from 29.5″ to 38″ tall to fit patient heights from 5’2″ to 6’2″ tall.
- Because it is narrow overall the padded, comfortable seat is only 13″ wide by 12″ deep. It also comes with a zippered storage bag under the seat.
- This is one of the few folding rollators where you can adjust the seat height. This is helpful for shorter people so they can keep their feet on the ground while they are sitting in the seat. The comfortable seat is height adjustable from 18″ to 22″ to fit a range of leg lengths
- It weighs 14 lbs making it very portable and has a weight capacity of 300 lbs.
How Can a Narrow Width Help Seniors with Mobility Problems?
Many elderly people live with small rooms, tight hallways, and narrow doors. Most have lived in the same home for decades and they are often crammed full of furniture. This makes many of these homes look like an obstacle course.
So, the walker gets banged into furniture and the walls causing damage. But, it also affects the safety of the senior by creating a fall hazard if the walker gets caught on something.
Often people try to get by with a walking cane instead. Just because it fits better when they try to get through a skinny doorway. Or, worse, they risk injury by not using anything at all. (Source: National Institutes of Health)
This is extremely unsafe. The better option is finding the best walker that meets their needs.
Tips for Making An Existing Walker Fit Small Spaces Better
There are some things you can try before running out to buy a new walking aid.
- Clear the Clutter. Clean out rooms that are small or jam-packed with furniture. I know that is easier than it sounds. Move items to out of the way areas. Or, put them in storage.
- Widen the Doorway. Sometime this means construction though. There are other options like taking the door off the hinges. Another option is replacing current hinges with offset hinges . These handy products will add nearly 2″ to the opening but still allow the door to open and shut.
- Move the Wheels! If you have a walker with wheels and they are making the walker too wide, simply flip the wheels to make the overall width more narrow. You will need to take the right wheel and put on the left leg and vice-versa so that the holes line up. This alone will take 2″ – 4″ off of the overall width of the walker. (This is how I solved my grandmother’s problem!)
How to Measure Your Home For a Walker and Rollator
- Measure the opening width of all the doors and doorways of your home. Don’t forget the main entrance and the bathroom. In most homes I see, the bathroom door is usually the most narrow.
- Measure with the door open so that you can see the true opening. The edge of the door will take up some of your usable space.
- Caution! Be careful when looking at the widths of walkers on some websites. Often, the width measurement given is between the handles, not the overall width. The measurements in my comparison table are the widths at the widest points.
Drawbacks of Narrow Walkers for Seniors
There is a potential drawback though. Because these walkers are skinnier by definition, larger sized people may have trouble fitting between the handles of a folding walker or using the seat of a rollator walker.
This could make them unsafe for some seniors to use because their feet might hit the back legs causing a fall. The walker also will not offer the proper support if the user doesn’t fit between the sides.
It is important to take the width of the person into consideration also.
Summary and Final Recommendations
Walkers are designed to improve the mobility of the user. So, it is very important that the walker fit where it will be used. It also must fit the user properly. Using a walker is safer when it fits right.
Looking for the best narrow walker? I recommend the Drive Medical Universal Walker. This walker is the closest thing I have found to an ultra narrow walker. Plus, it is also lightweight and fits elderly people from 4’10” to 6’2″.
Tell me your stories about using a walker that was too big or too wide! Did one of the tips above solve the problem? I’d love to know more. Please leave a comment below!