A Complete Buying Guide to Elderly Bathroom Safety Products
The bathroom is a really scary place for a senior who is losing his or her independence. It’s an even scarier place to their loved ones who fear accidents and falls. Statistically, the elderly are most likely to injure themselves in the bathroom. Elderly bathroom safety products make the bathroom a safer place. But there are so many options, how do you choose?
Seniors fall for a variety of reasons: loss of balance, medical issues, reduced mobility, and even early signs of dementia. When you add slick wet surfaces to this situation, you increase the chance of injury. But this situation doesn’t mean the elderly have to lose all independence. These must have bathroom safety products for the elderly can increase and even restore their independence.
- Where in the bathroom do the elderly need help?
- My 10 Must Have Elderly Bathroom Safety Products
- 1) Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair with Back and Arms
- 2) Medline Bathtub Locking Grab Bar
- 3) Carousel Premium Padded Sliding Bath and Shower Chair with Pivoting Arms and Swivel Seat
- 4) Clear PVC Bathtub Mat – Anti-Slip Anti-Bacterial Extra Long Shower Mat
- 5) Grab Bar by Vive – Suction Shower Handle & Bathroom Balance Bar
- 6) AquaSense 3 Setting Handheld Shower Head with Ultra-Long Stainless Steel Hose
- 7) Drive Medical Whisper Ultra Quiet Bath Lift
- 8) Medline Toilet Safety Rails
- 9) Bottom Buddy Toilet Tissue Aid
- 10) SqueezIt Tube Squeezer
- Which of these elderly bathroom safety products is the most important for you?
Where in the bathroom do the elderly need help?
There are varying degrees of help that the elderly need in the bathroom. Sometimes, the needs progress and what works one day may not work the next.
Getting in and out of the shower and tub
Once a senior begins having balance or joint problem in their legs, stepping over the edge of a standard or garden tub is a real problem. If lifting the leg is difficult and it catches on the edge of the tub, a fall is likely to happen. There is often no place for the person to brace them self either.
In addition to an injury, the elderly worry about having an accident in the bathroom and someone having to help them while naked and in a delicate position. Getting out of the tub can lead to the same chances of an accident for the same reasons.
There are many elderly bathroom safety products that assist with getting in and out of the shower and tub more safely:
- Grab bars can help a senior stabilize them self while they raise their leg over the tub edge. These bars are often mounted to walls and offer maximum security when installed correctly.
- Suction cup grab bars are now also an option to installed grab bars.
- Clamp-on tub bars are also available that mount to the tub edge.
- Permanent options like walk in tubs are very helpful.
Other safety products that allow the senior to enter the tub and shower from the seated position are helpful too. One popular option is the transfer bench. These benches straddle the tub edge with part of the bench in the tub and the other part outside of the tub. The elderly person can sit on the bench, swing their feet inside of the tub, then scoot in the shower area. They can then bathe while seated on the bench. They could stand if safe and have the bench safely behind them should they need it.
Taking a shower
Standing to take a shower is very dangerous for some elderly. Falling from weakness or dizziness on a wet shower surface can cause serious injury.
Many of the elderly bathroom safety products that help with getting in and out of the tub also help with showering more safely as well.
- Grab bars are used as a base of support if the elderly patient has minimal difficulty standing.
- The transfer bench discussed above is also usable as a shower seat.
- Shower chairs are seats that are usually plastic that you can place in the shower or tub and sit on while showering. Shower chairs come in many options from plain, small benches to elaborate thrones with backs, arms, and cushions.
Once a safe position for showering is set, there are other helpful bathroom safety products you may not have considered.
- Handheld shower heads with long tubing are very important. These allow the senior to shower without having to reach or stretch. The best handheld shower heads have easy controls and long, tangle free tubing.
- Non-slip bathtub mats are necessary to prevent slips and falls from a wet tub surface.
Taking a REAL bath
Once elderly people begin having physical difficulties, taking a submerged bath seems impossible. Many of my elderly patients tell me they miss taking a good, hot, soaking bath. Baths have great benefits too like soaking tired muscles and achy joints and creating a general state of relaxation. Seniors can benefit from these too.
Bath lifts are becoming one of the more popular elderly bathroom safety products. Bath lifts lower the patient into a tub full of water and raise them up again at the touch of a button. Most have safety features too to prevent a senior from getting stuck in a tub full of cold water.
Getting off and on a toilet
Getting on and off of a toilet requires good balance and leg strength. The senior needs good leg strength to stand up from the seated position and also needs balance to keep from falling forward or to the side. Strength and balance must be coordinated to prevent a fall. This coordination is often difficult once medical issues being affecting the elderly physically.
To help a senior with this, there are several types of aids to consider.
- Raised toilet seats are available in many styles and designs. These work by raising the seat height and reducing the distance the senior has to raise or lower themselves. These come with and without arms and made of various materials.
- Toilet safety rails are also great bathroom aids for the elderly. These mount right to the toilet to provide arms the senior can use to push themselves up and to stabilize themselves.
- Combining toilet safety rails with raised toilet seats for the senior who is having a lot of difficulty.
- 3 in 1 commodes, usually called potty chairs, can also help. These are usually used for toileting in rooms other than the bathroom. However, they are also useful with toileting in the bathroom. Because the legs raise up and down and the commode bucket removes, these adjust to fit over the toilet. This allows them to work like a combination elevated toilet seat and safety rail.
Hygiene after toileting
Cleaning up after using the toilet is difficult for many elderly people as well. Reaching around with an arthritic shoulder or elbow is painful. Balance is difficult for them while cleaning causing a chance of a fall. Depending on what the cause behind the difficulty is, there are bathroom safety products that can help here too.
- Wet wipes are a simple bathroom aid. These are helpful with a senior who lacks strength for a thorough cleaning by getting the job done quicker. They also need less force to use.
- Toilet safety rails and other aids in the previous section can help. The senior can use the rails to support themselves while cleaning. This reduces the chance of them losing their balance or strength and falling.
- Wiping aids are available that help with the reach. Several devices have hit the market in recent years that are an extension of the arm. They help the senior by reducing the reach needed through a longer handle or an extension.
- Bidets are helpful. I have had patients in the past also install bidets at home. Many people think this option is expensive but there are cheaper options also. There are devices that clip to existing toilet seats and other aids that are used in the shower.
My 10 Must Have Elderly Bathroom Safety Products
1) Drive Medical Premium Series Shower Chair with Back and Arms
Shower chairs have been around for years and there are so many options to choose from. You can find them with and without backs, with and without arms, and made from all sorts of materials from wood to plastic. They also come in varying degrees of safety and fall prevention. I recommend a shower chair with back and arms for safety and comfort. This model from Drive Medical, one of my top recommended elderly bathroom safety products, provides a great blend of safety and value.
There are several reasons why this is my favorite shower chair:
- It has a back and arms. There are many bath safety products out there that do not have any type of back support. Not good. Most elderly people who need this equipment have balance issues. A back support reduces the chance of them falling backwards while bathing or showering. The arms give nice side support for persons with a little lean and can also help them get up and down off the chair.
- It is easy to assemble. This shower chair will arrive disassembled but can literally be assembled in minutes without any tools. Simply snap the legs into the bottom and the back onto the seat rail and that is about it. You will have it ready to use in no time without having to use a single tool!
- It is easy to install. The legs are height adjustable without the need for tools. Set the height so that the senior is able to maintain both feet flat on the tub or shower surface. Then simply set it in the tub. The rubber feet on the bottom will prevent scooting but allow it to be re-positioned or moved as needed. This is really nice when other people in the home share the bath and need to move it.
- It is lightweight. That makes this shower chair very portable. Also, the chair can easily be disassembled (again, no tools!) by popping the legs and back off the seat. It is easy to lift and place in the trunk of the car for trips and family visits.
- It requires little cleaning or maintenance. The seat has holes in it which allow water and soap to run through onto the tub or shower surface. Give it an occasional rinse and that is about all it needs.
- It has a generous seat size. The seat dimensions are 21-3/4″” wide by 16-1/2″ deep accommodating most patients. The seat height can be adjusted from 16″ to 20-1/2″. It also has a 350 lb weight capacity.
I’ll be honest – you will find cheaper shower chairs out there. But, you won’t find one that is a better value for your money than this one. Especially a shower chair with back and arms. This chair is a perfect combination of safety features and price. It is usually priced just a few dollars more than shower chairs without as many safety features. This is definitely the best shower chair for the money.
- Easily adjust height in 1/2" increments without the use of tools; Visible height indicator makes adjustments quick and easy
- Enhanced comfort seat fits all shapes and sizes
- Tool-Free removal of back, legs, and arms for easy storage and portability
- Lightweight design has large stable legs with soft non-slip feet
- Seat Dimensions: 16.5"(D) x 21.75"(W) x 16-20.5" (H); Outside Legs: 15.5"(D) x 17"(W); Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
Images & Ratings from Amazon Product Advertising API - Updated on 2018-03-16 at 06:45 - contains affiliate links (see footer).
2) Medline Bathtub Locking Grab Bar
Sometimes, the senior is able to stand for a full shower. However, they may not be able to lift the leg or step over the edge of the bathtub without losing balance. The Medline Bathtub Grab Bar can help with this problem. It locks securely to the tub edge without damaging the tub and provides a secure handle to hold onto while entering and exiting the tub.
Why I recommend the Medline Bathtub Grab Bar:
- Easy to install. The grab bar uses a clamping mechanism with rubber lined pads that will not damage the tub surface. Simply place the bracket over the tub edge and turn the handle to clamp down. It fits tub walls that are 2-3/4″ to 6-1/4″ thick accommodating a wide range of tub sizes and styles. Of course, you should check the handle periodically to make sure it is still tight.
- Easy to clean. Made of PVC plastic coated steel, the bar will not rust and cleans easily just by wiping it down.
- Easy to use. The user holds onto the 6″ wide handle as they step in or out of the tub giving them the security they need. This reduces the chance of falls or tripping over the tub edge while entering or exiting.
I highly recommend this product for the senior who just needs a little help getting over the tub edge. This is a must-have bathroom aid as far as I am concerned. This is an easy to install and use product that can reduce the chances of falls and injury. Also, it is not as “in the way” as many other bath safety products and can hide behind the shower curtain.
- Tool-free installation has stainless steel components with rubber-lined pads that won't mar tub surface
- Adjust to fit tubs 2.75"- 6.25" (7-16 cm)
- Smooth texture
- Product type locking tub rail
- Mount type bath tub
Images & Ratings from Amazon Product Advertising API - Updated on 2018-03-16 at 06:45 - contains affiliate links (see footer).
3) Carousel Premium Padded Sliding Bath and Shower Chair with Pivoting Arms and Swivel Seat
This is one of my favorite elderly bathroom safety products. A sliding bath and shower chair truly offers the most secure and safe way to enter the tub and shower for seniors who are a fall risk. This transfer bench allows the patient to remain seated during the entire bathing process – from getting in the tub to getting out. No need for scooting, shifting, or standing. This aid does all the work.
How to use the Carousel Sliding Bath and Shower Chair:
- Once properly installed, the user sits down on the padded seat. The seat rotates so they can sit in whatever the safest position for them happens to be – either lined up with the tub or backed up to the tub.
- The user then swivels the seat until they are horizontal to the tub.
- The seat slides into the tub as the user pushes gently with their feet.
- The user then slides the seat back out of the tub.
- Towel off from the chair while remaining seated.
- Finally, the user can swivel the seat to the best exiting position for them.
Why the Carousel Sliding Bath and Shower Chair is Better than a Standard Transfer Bench
- Brightly colored seat offers contrast for elderly users who may be having difficulty seeing. This makes it easy to separate the seat visually from the bath tub.
- The padded seat, back and arms will greatly lower the risk of skin tears and breakdown. Many senior’s skin problems are caused by pressure from hard surfaces. Many other transfer benches are made of hard plastic.
- Pivoting armrests make transfers easier by moving the arms out of the way.
- Sliding seat makes transfers in and out of the tub smoother and safer. Also, because the seat slides, the senior will not have to scoot across the seat. This scooting motion can cause skin tears in elderly people because of their frail “onion” skin. A sliding seat nearly eliminates the chance of skin tear injury.
- Swiveling seat also reduces the chance of skin tears by eliminating scooting. The other big benefit of a swiveling seat is that getting on and off the chair is so much easier. The seat can be swiveled to the best and safest location for the senior. This also keeps it from sticking out too far into the bathroom and makes it work better with a wider variety of bathroom designs and shapes.
- The included seat belt will reduce chances of falling while in the tub.
- Rustproof aluminum frame construction for years of durability and low maintenance use. 330 lb weight capacity.
- Highly adjustable parts help fit the chair for a wide range of users. The adjustments are also tool-free! Armrests are adjustable from 17″ to 19″ wide. Seat height is adjustable from 19″ to 23-1/2″ high in 1/2″ increments. Backrest can come as high as 33″ for seniors who need a little more support.
- Tool free assembly for easy installation. Breaks down for portability also.
The Carousel Sliding Bath and Shower Chair is a premium product and may not be in everyone’s budget. But it is one you should consider it for anyone needing help getting out of the shower. I highly recommend it for the elderly patient who is a high risk for falling or for skin problems. I have seen no other shower bathing transfer device that offers this many safety features. If security and peace of mind are important to your choice of bath aid, look closely at this one.
- - PROFESSIONAL GRADE sliding transfer bench, bath and shower chair. Effortless sliding and pivoting for safe, easy transfers in and out of the tub....
- -PADDED SEAT, BACK AND ARMRESTS. No more cold, slippery, hard plastic parts like old-style bath chairs; the Carousel provides warm to the touch,...
- -SWIVEL-SEAT SPACE SAVING DESIGN. Not only is the swivel seat safer, easier to use and more comfortable than a standard fixed seat, this design means...
- -ROBUST, PIVOTING ARM RESTS. The padded arm rests can be raised and lowered and locked into place. Unlike standard chairs with no armrests, the robust...
- -HI CONTRAST COLOR FOR SAFETY. Our unique HI-VIEW BLUE color makes the key parts of the chair much easier to see by vision impaired and/or dementia...
Images & Ratings from Amazon Product Advertising API - Updated on 2018-03-16 at 06:45 - contains affiliate links (see footer).
4) Clear PVC Bathtub Mat – Anti-Slip Anti-Bacterial Extra Long Shower Mat
Bath mats are inexpensive but important elderly bathroom safety products. Many slips and falls happen in showers among both the young and the elderly because a bath mat was not used. A simple non-slip bathtub mat can make a big difference in bathroom safety.
Here is why I recommend this non-slip bathtub mat:
- It is larger sized than most. The 16″ x 38″ size gives the user a little more room to move without worry of leaving the mat.
- The entire surface is covered with suction cups. This is very important for bathroom safety. All parts of this mat – especially the corners – are securely stuck to the tub surface. No worry about the mat moving or sliding while in use.
- The top surface is textured to allow easy and safe movements in the tub without risk of slipping or falling.
- This bath mat is anti-bacterial to resist the growth of bacteria from the nearly constant presence of water and soap scum. This keeps it looking cleaner longer.
- It can be machine washed for easy cleaning and to keep it looking good longer.
This mat has every feature I look for when advising my senior patients on bathroom safety. While it may not be as “stylish” as some other non-slip bathtub mats, it is clear and won’t clash with any other bathroom decor. But it is a highly safe and functional bathroom aid for the elderly.
- The mat has a generous 15 x 38 inch size; made of eco-friendly PVC material
- Sturdy grip covered with suction cups that once pressed into place adhere firmly to the floor of a tub or shower stall and will not shift or slide...
- Ideal for heavy use situations such as homes hotels hospitals assisted living facilities gyms saunas spas and many other places as well as homes with...
- Restrain bacteria and soap deposits resist disease-causing microbes and bacteria out of your bath; they are latex free no toxic smell and resists the...
- Extra long beautiful design with crystal clear color compliments all design styles; Machine washable
5) Grab Bar by Vive – Suction Shower Handle & Bathroom Balance Bar
A Suction grab bar is an important bath safety for helping make the bathroom safer for elderly and seniors. The distinct advantage of them is that they easily install on any flat firm surface without damaging the surface. This is awesome for tiled showers or fiberglass showers where the last thing you want is permanent holes. Many users have doubts as to whether or not they are safe and really work. But in my experience, they are very safe if installed properly by following the manufacturer directions.
However, not all suction cup grab bars are the same. I spent a lot of time researching this category of bath safety products. Some out there have terrible reviews. Many are cheap knock-offs of quality products. In my research, I found that the Vive suction grab bars are the highest rated and the safest of the products.
Other important features:
- Color indicator. There is a little window with a color indicator that tells you if the grab bar stuck to the wall properly. Green is good. But red means try again. This is an important safety feature making the product (almost) idiot proof!
- Easily re-positioned. Because it is held by suction, the grab bar uninstalls quickly and cleanly. This allows it to move to another location in the bathroom quickly. It even fits in luggage for travel or trips to visit family.
- Very sturdy. It is designed to support up to 300 lbs!
- Comfortable grip. Soft rubber handles improve grip while being more comfortable than hard plastic handles.
- Available in 2 sizes: 12″ long and 16″ long
For safe use, these must be installed on SECURE, flat, non-porous surfaces like ceramic tile (not on grout lines), glass (not on the shower door), and fiberglass and acrylic tub surrounds. As always, please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation. For the best suction, always make sure the surface is clean and dry before installing any suction grab bar.
- SIMPLE TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION: Grab bar is easy to install or remove from the tub or shower walls with locking latches to secure bar in place. For...
- COMFORTABLE, NON SLIP GRIP: Textured, contoured rubber provides a comfortable non slip grip, perfect for the injured, elderly and toddlers. The...
- EASY TO ADJUST POSITION ON TUB OR SHOWER: Lift tabs allow the grab bar to be repositioned easily. Adjust the height on the shower wall, change to the...
- STURDY AND SECURE: Strong suction cup design works on any non-porous, flat surface, including tile, glass, acrylic and fiberglass. Supporting up to...
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
6) AquaSense 3 Setting Handheld Shower Head with Ultra-Long Stainless Steel Hose
In addition to aids that help the elderly transfer in and out of the shower, one of the most important elderly bathroom safety products to consider is the shower head. Think through the process of showering from a seated position. Reaching the shower head is impossible without stretching. The senior is either constantly hit in the face or the water misses them completely. This leads to reaching or stretching which increases the risk of a fall. A handheld shower head with long hose easily solves this problem.
Here is why I recommend this handheld shower head with long hose over others:
- Extra-long hose. The 7 feet long (80″) hose is made from durable, long-lasting stainless steel. This leads to safer showering because the hose will reach without much movement for the bather. The tangle free hose will not wrap around itself also reducing tripping in the tub.
- 3 Spray settings. Standard, narrow or wide spray settings can be changed by the easy to turn dial. This reduces water usage and spraying into the bathroom. Water spraying onto the bathroom floor could be a cause of a fall.
- Conveniently Located On/Off Controls. A simple control knob at the handle base turns the flow of the water on or off. No need to stand or stretch to the end of the cord and flip a switch like standard handheld showers. This is a much safer way to control the shower for the elderly.
Not just any handheld shower head is safe for the elderly to use. This is the best choice because the long hose is not only safer but also more convenient. Another safety and convenience feature is that the controls are built right into the shower head itself.
- Handheld Shower Heads by AquaSense provide increased bathing safety, independence and comfort while sitting or standing
- This shower head has 3 spray settings that can be activated by an easy-to-turn spray dial, providing a narrow, wide or standard spray
- Ultra-long 80 inch stainless steel, tangle-free hose allows you to shower comfortably when sitting or standing
- Simple on/off rotating control knob at the base of the handle provides easy water flow control at your finger tips
- The AquaSense Handheld Shower Head is corrosion resistant, includes a convenient shower hook and simplifies installation with easy, tool-free assembly
7) Drive Medical Whisper Ultra Quiet Bath Lift
Many seniors prefer baths to showers. However, getting into a bathtub full of water and back out again can be problematic if not dangerous. This maneuver is prone to slips, falls, and requires arm strength to push up out of the tub. If the elderly patient misses their baths, the Drive Medical Whisper Ultra Quiet Bath Lift may be just the bathroom aid they need!
Bath lifts gently lower the elderly person into the water by power. These devices use a pendant control similar to a hospital bed control. Once the senior has finished their bath, they can raise themselves up out of the water to the tub edge with just the push of a button. Bath lifts are a great way to safely restore independence with submersion baths.
Here is why I recommend this one:
- Lots of Safety Controls. The controller is waterproof to prevent electrical shock or damage. It floats so that the user won’t lose it and not be able to get out of the water. Also, the lift will never lower the user into the tub if it does not have enough power to bring them back up out of the water.
- Rechargeable battery. The battery pack is rechargeable and powerful enough for multiple uses. Warning indicator lets you know when it is time to recharge.
- Easy tool-less assembly and install. 4 suction cups hold the lift securely to the tub bottom. Easily disassembles for travel too!
- Reclining backrest. For a relaxing bath, the back reclines to 50 degrees (total angle 140 degrees).
- Transfer flaps. These fold out to meet the tub edge to make transferring off of the lift easier for those that seniors who need to slide.
- Fits both standard and garden tubs. Seat dimensions are 13.7″ wide X 16.54″ long and is 2.3″ high in lowest position and 18.8″ high in the highest position. The base is 22″ wide. Back of the chair is 25.1″ high. Weight capacity of 300 lbs.
While one of the more expensive elderly bathroom safety products, the Drive Medical Whisper Ultra Quiet Bath Lift can make a huge impact. For the elderly who enjoy a good, hot, soaking bath for relaxing tight muscles and achy joints, a bath lift like this one can quickly become the most important (and favorite) of the elderly bathroom safety products.
While one of my more expensive recommendations, the Drive Medical Whisper Ultra Quiet Bath Lift can make a huge impact. For the elderly who enjoy a good, hot, soaking bath for relaxing tight muscles and achy joints, a bath lift like this one can quickly become the most important (and favorite) of the elderly bathroom safety products.
- The Whisper Bath Lift is designed to assist individuals while entering, exiting and enjoying a bath with renewed independence
- Tool-free, two-piece bath lift construction is easy to assemble and install, with sleek folding capability for transportation and storage
- 4 quick-release suction cups ensure anti-slip security on the bathtub floor, while a padded seat and backrest provide exceptional comfort
- Rise, lower, and recline the backrest of the bath lift up to 50 degrees with a water-tight hand control featuring bright, easily accessible buttons
- Seat Dimensions: 16.54"(D) x 13.7"(W) x 2.3"-18.8"(H); Back of Chair Height: 25.1"; Base Width: 22"; Backrest Recline: 140 Deg; Weight Capacity: 300...
8) Medline Toilet Safety Rails
Toilet safety rails are a good choice for elderly who have control but just need a little help getting up and down. These bathroom aids for the elderly give the extra help seniors need to remain independent in their toileting. Losing the ability to take care of their own toileting and bathroom hygiene is where most seniors struggle the most. They feel embarrassed and don’t want family members helping with this area of their care. Toilet safety rails will give them a little support with standing and will give the caregiver a little peace of mind.
Why I like these Medline Toilet Safety Rails
- Easy to install. Toilet safety rails install using the original seat hardware. First, remove the existing seat and seat hardware. Next, line up the safety frame bracket holes and original toilet seat holes with the seat mounting holes on the toilet and replace the original seat bolts. Tighten (usually by hand). Once tight, insert the seat rails into the sides of the brackets using built-in snap buttons. Finally, secure the black knobs and then set the height of the rails.
- Installation can be temporary. Because of the way these rails install, they can easily be removed if no longer needed. Simply reverse the above procedure and the toilet will back to usual.
- Handles are adjustable. The handles adjust in both height (26″ to 31″ high) and also rotate outward for a more custom fit (8″ to 24″ wide). This makes these rails useful with a variety of toilet sizes and body types. If the senior is thinner, the rails move inward to give them most leverage to lift themselves off the toilet. The opposite is true for larger users – simply rotate the rails outward for these folks. They can even rotate out of the way for other family members who may not use them. Weight capacity is 250 lbs.
- Easy to clean. Because the rails are made of aluminum, they are easy to wipe down and keep clean.
- Nearly universal. These rails work well with both elongated and round toilets.
There are other elderly bathroom safety products to help seniors with getting on and off toilets. This is the only type of toilet safety rails though that I recommend as a must-have bathroom aid. Because it is secured to the toilet and stands directly on the floor, it is the most stable option for toilet help. Products that sit on the toilet seat alone make me a little nervous. You could also mount handles to the wall. Handles are as secure as rails but they are harder to install and more permanent. Also, it may not be possible to place them on both sides of the toilet depending on wall configuration.
There are other bathroom aids for the elderly to help seniors with getting on and off toilets. This is the only type of toilet safety rails though that I recommend as a must-have bathroom aid. Because it is secured to the toilet and stands directly on the floor, it is the most stable option for toilet help.
- Handles are adjustable and rotate back to allow a wide range of comfortable and secure positions
- Closed cell foam armrests provide a comfortable, sure grip; Commode Compatibility:Universal
- Adjustable height 26"-31" (66-74cm) accommodates standard or elevated toilet seats
- Easy to clean aluminum frame mounts securely onto bowl with adjustable bracket 18"-24" (46-61cm)
- Height Adjustment armrest to floor: 26"-31" (66-74cm); Width Adjustment between armrests: 8"-24" (46-61cm); Overall Depth: arm 16.75" (43cm),at leg...
9) Bottom Buddy Toilet Tissue Aid
While we are on the toilet (so to speak!), toilet hygiene is another area where some of the elderly struggle. It may also be a topic they aren’t very willing to discuss. To many seniors, the thought of another family member cleaning them up after toileting is the ultimate humiliation. The Bottom Buddy Toilet Tissue Aid, one of many unknown elderly bathroom safety products, can help with this. If you or your loved one are having difficulty with the reaching part of toilet hygiene, this may be a solution for you.
- Grips dry tissue or wet wipes and releases them with a push of a button. No need to touch the paper after use. Simply load the paper on the end and press the button to grab it. Wipe, then release the button to dispose of the paper.
- Soft, curved handle enables wiping from the front or from the back.
- A storage bag is included for discreet travel.
Just know that there may be a bit of a learning curve to using this type of toileting aid. But, after some practice, this product may help the elderly retain some dignity. This is especially important in this the most private of situations. Important enough that this could become a must-have bathroom aid for you or your loved one.
- Soft, flexible head with three tulip-petal sections
- Hygienic and easy to use
- Includes a carry pouch for travel and storage
- Securely grip any tissue or pre-moistened wipe
- 11" long with a curved handle
10) SqueezIt Tube Squeezer
Here is a simple little product that can make life in the bathroom a little easier for seniors. Many elderly people suffer from arthritis of the hands and squeezing the toothpaste tube is extremely difficult. This nifty little device fits onto the end of the tube and allows the toothpaste to be slid out the end as needed. No tight gripping or squeezing required. For the thrifty senior, this is also a great way to get every drop of toothpaste out of the tube. Small products like this often make big improvements in the senior’s life.
- 2 Pack, Squeezit, Tooth Paste Tube Squeezer
- Fits Toothpaste Tubes, Medicine Tubes, Paint Tubes & More
- Designed To Easily Slide Onto Tubes Of Most Sizes
- Helps Squeeze The Last Drop From Each Tube
- Available In A Variety Of Fun Colors, Pre-Loaded Clip Strip.
Which of these elderly bathroom safety products is the most important for you?
If you are researching these products for a loved one, I encourage you to sit down and have a talk with the senior about what their needs are. Reassure them that by using aids such as these, they can stay independent longer in their daily bathroom care. Let them know that they should not feel ashamed by choosing to use these products. Make sure they understand that suggesting the use of these products is for their safety so that they can have many more productive years in the future.
Please contact me if you have any questions or leave me a comment below if you have anything to add to this message. Do you know of a product that has made a major difference in improving the quality of a loved one’s life? Also, if you found this information helpful, please share it with your friends on social!
Scott Grant, ATP, CRTS®
About This Site
Scott Grant, ATP, CRTS Founder / Editor
My name is Scott Grant and I work daily with seniors as a custom wheelchair specialist at a home medical equipment company. I see these people struggle as they lose their independence. I watch their families try to help them but most don't even know where to start. Few are even aware of their options. I'm here to help!
Always consult with a medical professional before using any medical equipment.Learn more
Or Get Weekly Email Updates
* You will receive a weekly update on new guides and other news of interest to seniors, elderly and their caregivers!