It’s a terrible thing but old age causes many people to lose their independence simply due to general weakness and ill health. Dementia is another major cause of this loss of self-sufficiency and it makes so many seniors depend on others. Even for small things. For example, keeping track of the time and date is second nature for us. But, often, seniors and the elderly easily lose track. But, there are handy devices like electronic calendars for seniors with dementia. Keep reading to earn more about these and which is best. have to rely on electronic calendars for help.
Losing Track of the Day and Time
The inability to keep up with the time and date can be caused by many factors: onset of dementia, bad eyesight, memory loss, etc. And, this is one of the most frustrating parts of caring for a senior with dementia. Their confusion about the time and date leads to phone calls to family at all hours. Either because the senior doesn’t know it’s the middle of the night or they simply call to see what time it is. Regardless, they reach out to the people they know and trust for help.
Sometimes, this sudden dependency on others can cause anxiety for seniors. And this anxiety leads to feelings of overwhelm and even anxiety attacks. Frequent states of anxiety can negatively affect their already frail mental and physical health. In such a situation, it is important to try and reduce all points that can cause stress or anxiety to the elderly. So, making daily chores and even routine activities as easy and comfortable as possible is necessary.
Not knowing the correct day and time causes other problems too. Missed medications is a big one. If they don’t know the time, the senior is unable to keep up with their meds too. Another problem is missing birthdays and important events. Many seniors pride themselves on sending birthday and anniversary cards. Finally, bills can become past due and unpaid which could lead to financial consequences,
How Electronic Calendar Clocks Help
Electronic calendar clocks are one of the best tools to help the elderly and those suffering from dementia, memory loss and partial loss of vision. They can help reduce the anxiety of the elderly by prominently displaying the time, month, day and date in a manner which is clear and not confusing. Knowing the exact day and time will help the senior maintain the structured lifestyle they are used to living.
A large electronic calendar clock can easily tell seniors what time of day it is, what the date it is, and even what day of the week it is. This helps them stay oriented in time and keep the day separate from the night. It helps them remember birthdays and important events. They will better know when to pay their bills.
Key Features To Look For While Choosing An Electronic Calendar Clock For Seniors
- Make sure that the calendar clock meets the needs of the person who is going to use it. For example, people with bad eyesight will need bold and clear digits while people with memory loss may need a clock with more reminder functions
- Check whether the calendar clock keeps the time and date in memory, even during a power outage. You do not want to have to reset it each time after an outage or daylight savings time change. Battery backups help with this.
- Avoid abbreviations when possible. This reduces the chance of confusion between Mar and May or Tues and Thurs.
- If English is not the primary language of the user, you may want to consider a clock with multiple language options
Other Helpful Features to Consider
Some of these electronic calendar clocks also double up as night lights. This is because many of them have large LED screens which emit a fuzzy glow.
Others have alarms that can be used to wake up or for pill reminders. However, seniors with advanced hearing loss will probably still need a stand-alone alarm clock because these aren’t very loud. Also, seniors who take medication frequently would benefit more from an automatic pill dispenser. You can read more about those here.
Suggested Calendar Clocks for Seniors
American Lifetime Day Clock
10 used from $ 34.95
- ✔ KEY FEATURES - This unique 8" High Resolution Digital Alarm Clock clearly spells out the time, period of the day, full day of the week, month and date in large, clear letters - with no confusing abbreviations.
- ✔ BATTERY BACKUP + UNIQUE FUNCTIONS - The Day Clock by American Lifetime is the only one of its kind to include 5 multi-function alarms, with the option to set reminders to take medications throughout the day. This Day Clock also has a BATTERY BACKUP in case of a power outage, in which case it will retain the correct time and date when the power returns.
- ✔ WARRANTY - At American Lifetime we offer Free USA Support and a full 1-year Unlimited Warranty on all of our products. You can also return the product for free for the first 30 days, no questions asked. Our Customer Service team is here for you and happy to help answer ANY questions you may have. Just copy-paste this link into your browser: https://amzn.to/29Etuzk
- ✔ MAKES FOR A PERFECT GIFT - The words Dementia, Alzheimer's and Memory Loss are intentionally excluded from the packaging, making it a great gift. ➡ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. We stand behind the durability of our goods and offer an unconditional guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with our products, we will refund your money no questions asked.
- ✔ WE GIVE BACK - A great way to give back because American Lifetime donates 10% to charities that focus on dementia research, social services and adult education.
The Digital Day Clock from American Lifetime is the perfect electronic calendar for seniors who are struggling with dementia, memory loss, visual impairment or simply difficulty in remembering what day or date it is. It is also useful for people who have busy schedules or work in shifts and need to be focussed on time-related deadlines. Take control of your days, hours and even minutes with the Digital Day Clock, and say goodbye to anxiety, worries, and confusion.
- Easy to read informative display, with an 8” screen, and large white letters on black
- Includes 5 multi-function alarms, with optional reminders for taking medications throughout the day
- Built-in battery backup eliminates resetting the clock even if it gets unplugged or after a power outage
- Can be hung up on the wall or placed on a flat surface for maximum visibility
- Available in different colors to match the interiors of your house.
- Multiple language options.
Active Living Oversized Digital Blue LED Dynamic Wall Clock
- A/C Adapter Powered
- Easy to Read
- 16-inch X 7.5-inch
The Dynamic Living Clock has a bright red, easy to read LED display that will remind you of the day of the week, the date, and the current time. I like that the display on this one is so simple. It just gives you the information you want. But, it does abbreviate the day of the week and month. This could cause confusion with extreme dementia.
- Easy to read informative display, large red letters on a black background.
- Can be hung up on the wall or placed on a flat surface for maximum visibility
- Date and time will not be lost in a power outage because of battery backup
- AC Adaptor plugs into a recessed outlet in the back, which allows the clock to hang straight against the wall
Digital Alarm Clock, 11.5" Extra Large Display LED Day Clock
$42.99 in stock
- ✔ The Best Alarm Clock for Bedroom: The 11.5 inch Extra Large LED display clearly shows the time, date, the day of the week in large numbers that is easy to read. What's more, it will monitor and display the indoor temperature accurately in ℉/℃, perfect calendar clock for all the range including kids, elderly, seniors, visually impaired, dementia patients and hearing impaired.
- ✔ 3 Alarm Clock with Big Snooze Button and Dimmer: Easily setting 3 alarms with this Digital Alarm Clock separately. The Snooze Button on the top enable you to sleep for few more minutes before you have to get up. The manual brightness control function got 5 levels so you could adjust to your personal comfort one and protect your eyes.
- ✔ Digital Desk and Wall Clock with Dual USB Charger: Convenient design for wall hanging or free standing on desk with the holder. The dual USB ports of the clock allow you to charge your phone and tablets at night.
- ✔ Easy Operation & Battery Backup: The switch button on the back enables you to set the display to 12 hour or 24 hour time mode. Simply press the DST button to switch for Daylight Saving Times (DST). Moreover the Battery Backup ensures the time and settings will be retained in case of the power outage.
- ✔ What You Get: Rocam CR1005 Alarm Day Clock with detailed user guide, Enjoy our 30-Days Refund Policy, 3-Months Replacement Guarantee, 12-Months Warranty and friendly customer service.
The ROCAM Electronic Calendar Clock is one of my favorites. It has a very simple display and I really like that the day of the week is prominent on the top of the display. This is where most seniors get confused. Another good feature is that this one also displays the current indoor temperature. Many seniors love to know what the current temperature is. This could be good for seniors who are currently adjusting their thermostat too.
- Extra-large 11.5″ display with current day, date, time, and temperature in blue LED lights.
- 5 brightness control settings
- 3 programmable alarms with a snooze button on top of the display. Can be used for waking or for medication reminders
- Includes a backup battery for always accurate time and date. Doesn’t lose its settings in power outages.
- Also has a USB charger for charging cell phones and tablets for seniors who use those devices.
Large electronic calendar clocks like these can really improve the life of somebody with dementia or memory loss issues. Just being able to know what day it is makes seniors feel more grounded and less confused. And, that means less anxiety – with more independence!
Clocks like these are designed for seniors with pretty severe medical issues or dementia. If you are looking for a more basic clock that is easier for seniors to see, check out this guide.
How have you helped a senior who has had trouble keeping up with the date and time? Please share any advice or suggestions you have in the comments below. Oh! and please share this on your favorite social media account if you found it helpful.