I get asked about this subject a lot in my position as a provider of manual and power wheelchairs. People know that users of wheelchairs need things but they just aren’t sure what those “things” are. Many wheelchair users I work with are also too proud to ask. So, I thought I’d put together some ideas for gifts for people in wheelchairs – ones that they will want and will be thrilled to receive.
General Gift Ideas for Wheelchair Users
Like I discussed in my recommendations for comfortable wheelchairs, insurance companies only pay for items that are medically necessary. Many of the accessories that would improve the function of a wheelchair user don’t meet their criteria. You know, things like cup holders, wheelchair bags, wheelchair gloves, etc. But many of these types of items would make being in the wheelchair easier.
RELATED GUIDE: Great Subscription Boxes for the Elderly
Gifts Under $25.00
Pembrook Wheelchair Side Bag
$22.95 in stock
- 5 POCKET DESIGN - Allows options and flexibility for organizing your life
- SIZE - The entire wheelchair Bag is 12.5 inches wide X 7 inches tall and is designed to expand an additional 2-3 inches when it is loaded with items.
- DURABLE - Double-stitched seams and reinforced stress points. Designed to last a lifetime
- WATER RESISTANT - The bag is crafted from 70-Denier DuroTec Nylon fabric and resistant to water. Protect your valuable from the rain.
- REFLECTIVE - Two reflective stripes makes you visible from up to 100 meters at night.
Did you know that wheelchairs do not typically come with anywhere to put “stuff”? If the wheelchair user has loose items, they usually use a purse or backpack and hang it on the back of their chair. This makes reaching items difficult. Especially items like cell phones that they may want to get in a hurry. That’s why this wheelchair bag is a great gift idea. It straps to the arm of the wheelchair keeping the items close and easily accessible. This will definitely be appreciated.
Vive Wheelchair Bag
- FITS ALL STANDARD WHEELCHAIRS: Durable wheelchair bag attaches with two easily adjustable straps, allowing it to fit on all standard wheelchairs, bariatric wheelchairs walkers and transport chairs.
- HANDS FREE GRAB AND GO BAG: Easily keep essentials at hand with the large inner pocket measuring 19"x 14". Sturdy nylon bag can hold a purse, a change of clothes, or necessary medical supplies. Two convenient outer pockets provide easy access to everyday items such as drinks and snacks, glasses, electronic devices and more.
- EASY TO INSTALL ADJUSTABLE STRAPS: Easily attach and remove the carry bag with the durable adjustable straps that fit most wheelchairs. An easy to use buckle system secures the straps to any wheelchair, walker or transport chair. An additional padded shoulder strap allows the bag to be easily transported to and from the wheelchair.
- LIGHTWEIGHT WATERPROOF AND MACHINE WASHABLE: Constructed with a durable, lightweight nylon material, the wheelchair bag is waterproof to keep contents safe and dry. For additional convenience, the outer pocket is lined with a reflective stripe for high visibility at night or when in low light areas. Durable nylon material is machine washable for added convenience. For best results, machine wash in cold water and allow bag to air dry.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
The wheelchair accessory bag mounts to the back canes of a wheelchair or the arms with two universal buckle straps. It also works well with walkers, rollators, disability scooters, and other medical equipment. One large compartment in the center with 2 outside pockets for quick access. Includes a carrying strap. Available in black and 2 floral patterns.
Life Mounts LED Wheelchair/Walker/Cane Light
- Improves Quality of Life and Increases Visibility and Safety
- Easy and Convenient Hands-free Lighting, Day or Night
- Water Resistant and Shockproof 300 Lumen Mini CREE LED Light Powered by a Single AA Battery and Featuring 3 Modes: High, Low, and Strobe
- Fully Adjustable 360 Degree Rotation Silicone Rubber Mount with Easy-to-Use Attachment Straps
This would make an awesome gift for someone in a wheelchair. Especially for the ones who have to get up a lot during the night. This bright LED light mounts to the wheelchair and lights the way for the users hands free. All of this in a device that is only 3″ high x 3.5″ long x 1.5″ wide and weighs only 3.4oz
Gifts Between $25.00 and $50.00
- Blue, 11" x 14"
- Texture: Pebble
- Non-slip multi-use pad useful for transporting a variety of items and preventing spills
- A stable platform with non-slip material on both sides
- Easy to clean - dishwasher safe
This textured non-slip tray keeps plates, glasses, and other items from sliding off the tray. Even if tilted. Wheelchair users often propel their chairs while trying to balance trays of food on their lap. This tray reduces the chance of a spill. It also does this without being tacky or sticky to the touch.
Total Chair Cushion
- Imported or made in the U.S.A.
- Sit Comfortably for Hours! Our cozy cushion relieves pain caused by long periods of sitting This soft, downy, polyester fiberfill cushion surrounds your body, including arms and legs, with soothing comfort
- It reduces stress on pressure-sensitive areas
- Fits standard wheelchairs and armchairs
Here is another great gift idea for a person in a wheelchair. This cushion covers the entire seating surface of the wheelchair with soft, pillowy comfort. Cushion wraps to cover armrests too. The user is completely hugged by the cushion and it could even help them sit up straighter too. Machine washable for easy cleaning.
Secure SLC-1 Easy Release Wheelchair Lap Tray
$43.97 in stock
- Secure SLC-1 Easy-Release Lap Cushion is designed to provide anterior posture support while safely securing the user in a seated position - Cushion also provides elbow rest & work/reading surface
- Fits 18" - 22" wheelchairs & most geriatric recliner chairs - 20"W x 4"H x 11"-8"D
- Medium density foam for patient comfort - Meets CA# 117 flame retardant standards
- Easy-Release non-restraint Velcro straps (not a restraint) - Mildew resistant ultra soft vinyl is easy to clean and latex-free
- Covered by a one year full-replacement warranty
I like the idea of this cushion as a gift especially for people who lean forward or are having problems falling out of the chair. While its real design is to keep people from falling forward, it can also double as a soft place to rest the hands and as a wheelchair tray. Easy to wipe down and clean.
CareActive Wheelchair Rain Poncho,
$44.28 in stock
- Ultra durable and waterproof Supplex shell
- Soft poly cotton plaid lining
- Machine washable
- Will not get tangled in wheels
- Made in USA
There are times that wheelchair users are forced to go outside in the rain and bad weather. This poncho is designed especially for people in wheelchairs and will not get tangled in their wheels. Keeps their hands free to propel themselves. It is made of a waterproof material with a soft lining on the inside. Also reusable and machine washable!
Wheelchair Hand Grip Extensions
- Help staff maintain a more upright position when transporting residents
Ok, really this gift is more for the caregiver! A frequent complaint of family members is that the wheelchair is too low. This means the caregiver has to bend over to push the chair. Back pain is the result. By raising the height of the push handles, the caregiver is at a height to reduce back pain but nothing has changed for the patient. A win-win!
Quilted Wheel Pouch for Wheelchair
- Outer pouch for larger items
- Secure inner pouches for valuables
- Quilted, machine washable fabric
- Easily attaches to most wheelchairs
- Color: Blue
People in wheelchairs often have trouble finding a place to put small items while in wheelchairs. This product solves that problem. It mounts easily and securely to the wheelchair handrims with velcro straps. It has a large inner pocket with a small outer pocket. Great idea for storing reading material or a cell phone.
Heavyweight Wheelchair Blanket
$28.24 in stock
- WRAP YOURSELF IN WARMTH: Granny Jo Products' HEAVYWEIGHT Wheelchair Blanket features two layers of soft warm fleece. The Navy Blue top fabric is a ultra-soft mink fleece. The Grey bottom layer is a soft plush fleece.
- PERFECT FOR THOSE COLD DAYS: Winter, spring, or fall this super soft fleece will be your every-day go to accessory
- ATTACHES TO ANY CHAIR: Attaches to the wheelchair with four hook and loop fastener straps (two on each side) to attach the blanket to the frame of the wheelchair.
- PERFECT SIZE: Measures 36" wide by 42" long.
- NO-HASSLE CLEANING: machine wash, cold wash with like colors only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble Dry Low. Do not Iron
Many of the medical problems that cause people to use wheelchairs also make them cold often. This ultra-soft dual-layered fleece blanket can really help with that. Even includes a pocket on the front for keeping the patient’s hands warm. Attaches to the wheelchair with small velcro straps to keep it from getting in the wheels or getting run over by the chair. Machine Washable
Gifts Over $50.00
DMI Clear Wheelchair Tray,
$46.34 in stock
- CLEAR WHEELCHAIR TRAY WITH CONTOURED semi-circle cutout significantly increases your wheelchair's functionality.
- ACRYLIC WHEELCHAIR LAP TRAY HAS A RAISED STRIP to prevent items from slipping and rolling off. Perfect for eating, reading, writing, crafts, and carrying household items.
- CONVENIENT HOOK AND LOOP STRAPS secure the tray around the wheelchair armrests.
- WHEELCHAIR TRAY fits most standard wheelchairs, measures 23 by 19 by 1/4 inches. PLUS, it's very easy to clean.
- WARRANTY AND GUARANTEE: Amazon Exclusive Limited warranty may apply. Please see product for additional details. NOTE: we can only guarantee the quality of this product when sold through Amazon.com or Brazos Walking Sticks.
Wheelchair trays are a tremendous help to those in wheelchairs. They help with eating, writing, crafts and other activities and make them easier to do from the wheelchair. Another good idea is to use them as a desk for a laptop! The tray attaches to most standard wheelchairs with velcro straps that wrap around the arms. This tray stays pretty secure unless the wheelchair user moves a lot.
Wondergel Original Gel Seat Cushion
$33.99 in stock
- Engineered to the human comfort threshold, adjusting to any individual's body shape or weight
- Ultra-soft, ultra-strong, solid rubber-like Gelastic material provides cradling relief for bony prominences and firm, comfortable support for broader body surfaces
- Durable elastic gel consistency immediately returns to its original shape, with no permanent depressions
- Gel fill breathes, so it stays cool while in use
This seat cushion is made of a unique elastic gel material that is comfortable, soft, strong, and maintains its shape. It makes sitting in a wheelchair for long periods of time much more comfortable. It remains cool even with hours of use and reduces sweating and uncomfortable moisture.
Many users of wheelchairs will appreciate the thought of a practical gift that will help them in their daily life. But, many won’t specifically ask for what they need. Using a gift guide like this will help get the right gift for a person in a wheelchair. You can find more gift ideas for seniors and the elderly here if you would like more ideas.
What gift do you recommend for someone using a wheelchair? Have you given a gift that was a hit? Or maybe even a flop? Share your advice and experience in the comments below. Oh! If you found this information helpful, I’d appreciate a quick share with your friends.