Reading is one of the activities that feeds our brains and keeps us alive. However, as people get older their eyesight deteriorates, making reading more difficult. You start straining your eyes too much, and because of that the focus is lost and you end up with a headache. Often the reason for this is that the letters are simply too small to see, and the text isn’t as understandable as it used to be.
Fortunately, there are solutions to this problem. Some publishers create special magazine editions which have much larger fonts and with topics more relatable to seniors making it easier for you or your loved one to enjoy.
I wish there was a larger number of these specialized magazines. But with the overwhelming presence of internet content on your tablet and personal computer, the need simply isn’t that large.
RELATED GUIDE: The Best Tablets for Senior Citizens
Some of the Best Large Print Magazines for Seniors
This being said, large print magazines for seniors have some upsides. They are something all people can enjoy, even elderly which aren’t very into new technology. It’s good even for bedridden people. Seniors get a great mental stimulation, refresh vocabulary and maintain interest in the things they like as well as find new interests. Some of these magazines encourage people to take part, write letters and exchange experiences which is fantastic.
Take a look at some magazines elderly enjoy and see which one best suits your reading taste. Also, I’ve included a bonus section with different magnifying glasses to make reading easier.
You are certainly familiar with this one, it’s one of the most popular and long lasting magazines in the United States, as well as worldwide. But did you know they make their magazine in large print too? The publishers want to make it available to everyone, so besides large print it is also available in Braille, audio and digital format. As you probably know, this is a monthly family oriented general interest magazine.
As for the large letter edition, it has the same content as the regular magazine so you won’t miss out on anything. You can get a subscription and have it delivered by mail every month. Most senior users are satisfied with this edition. It’s very easy to read even without using a magnifying glass. However, if you decide to buy this large print magazine subscription, it will take about 6 to 10 weeks to get it started. Anyway, this is a fantastic choice for people with deteriorating eyesight, especially if you like the content it offers.
This is another famous and inspirational magazine, which has a monthly edition. It publishes articles written by people with different age and backgrounds talking about their struggles and triumphs. It offers a very uplifting and enjoyable content, and it’s been here for a long time. I am certain that most of you are already familiar with their work. They also publish the magazine in large print, this way enabling elderly people and others with weakened eye-sight to find inspiration and read feel-good stories.
Perhaps the content isn’t as varied as in Reader’s Digest, but you can be sure your mood will improve. The magazine is delivered to your home but it takes some time before the first edition comes. Also, some people had a large print subscription which changed to regular print when renewed, so be careful about this. Bottom line, it’s a very good reading material which allows you to put your magnifier aside, and even to share your own inspirational story with them.
Here I have a magazine for elderly which is designed to throw you back to the days when you were younger and things simpler. It’s one of the most popular nostalgia magazines, and many seniors enjoy it. It talks about the way things worked in 30s, 40s up until the 70s, and how these events shaped the world we are looking at today. The content is pretty diverse, so you can find great photographs and real-life stories from people talking about love, war, cars, music, restaurants, travel and many other things.
This magazine comes out 7 times a year, and the subscription is very affordable. If you like reading about the “good old days” this magazine is a pretty good choice. Readers are satisfied with the content, saying that it’s very relatable and feels good to be taken back. Possible downsides are the layout and the number of ads, but compared to the upsides this is not very significant. You’ll be sure to enjoy!
The AARP magazine is edited and published by AARP (American Association of Retired Persons), and they certainly know what people in their age group want to read about. The AARP is a big interest group which has a purpose of empowering people to stay active and connected no matter their age. The magazine itself has the same purpose – giving you information and advice about important issues you encounter at a certain age.
It’s a bi-monthly magazine which the organization sends out to all of its members. It’s said to be the largest circulation magazine in the US, with almost 30 million subscribers. The topics covered are news, health, money, love and how to make your life as fulfilling as possible. It sounds and looks very nice, and it’s certainly worth checking out.
You’ll have to join AARP to get the subscription to this magazine.
The Good Old Days is another throw-back magazine, which covers the period from 1935 to 1960 with all the things that happened in between. The stories on different topics are told by people from all around the country. There are happy and sad stories, good and bad, but most importantly they are true. The tone is conversational, so you will have a feeling like you listening to your friend telling you how things once were.
Readers are very satisfied with the content, and most of them happily recommend the magazine to their friends and family. The stories are wholesome with nice photos of times past. Readers also add that the content is never preachy and boring, and that you get some real value from it. For an affordable price you get six issues every year delivered to your door. So, it’s a very good idea if you wan’t something that will always bring a smile to your face.
This magazine is for nature-lovers, and people who enjoy spending their time in their back yard. It’s a bi-monthly magazine which talks about plants, birds, butterflies and other creatures you may stumble upon in your garden. The content is somewhat different than the magazines covered so far, but this topic is also very popular among seniors wanting to learn something new.
The pictures used in the magazine are fantastic, and a good part of them is user-submitted so they have an added value to it. You can also do it if you have something nice to share. Users say it’s full of great and timeless advice for your garden. If this topic interests you, subscribing to this magazine will be a great decision.
Here I have something that isn’t your typical magazine, but it’s more than interesting to elderly. The publisher is AARP, the senior organization I already mentioned. This crossword book is very good entertainment for people with impaired vision. You get more than 40 large print crosswords for elderly on various topics – life, sports, music, culture and history. It’s a nice product that will keep your brain cells active and happy.
RELATED GUIDE: Large Print Games for Seniors
Bonus: Magnifying Devices Make Magazine Reading Easier
Magnifying glasses can help significantly when the lettering is too small. I’m presenting three slightly different products which are going to help you read clearly again. These magnifiers are easy to take with you and store, and all three come with LED light helping you read even in low light conditions. Take a look.
iMagniphy LED Illuminated Magnifying Glass Set
10 used from $14.45
- INSTANTLY IMPRESSED - Imagine not having to squint to read everything anymore - with 2 easily interchangeable lenses, you will be relieved when you can change the magnification you need to suit any task or hobby using the simple lens release system. iMagniphy is the genuine premium product. Comes with a carry pouch & cleaning cloth to keep your lenses smudge free.
- HELP YOUR GRANDPARENTS - Imagine the look on their faces - your elderly loved ones with poor vision will praise you with thanks when you gift them this set of magnifying lenses. We receive constant great feedback from our elderly friends who are over the moon with how this improves their day to day lives. Treat your loved ones to an amazing gift today - They will love you for it!
- PERFECT BEDTIME READING - Don’t wake your partner reading with the lights on at night anymore. The built in, stylish, energy efficient LED lights on the handle put out the perfect amount of light when you need to read or work in the dark. You can view everything with ease. Shine light on those hard to reach places, all while magnifying while you go. Any problems - We will replace your item, no questions asked - for life!
- 5 STAR VERIFIED - We have thousands of reports from customers who absolutely love this magnifier set. Perfect image quality - No struggling to read the tiny print on coupons and pill prescriptions. Now you can read everything in perfect clarity. Stamp and coin collections, reading maps, watch and computer repair and inspecting jewelry is now crystal clear under the premium glass lenses and durable ABS plastic casing. Also useful for parents or teachers inspecting their children or kids for lice.
- BEAT MACULAR DEGENERATION - iMagniphy magnifiers are the perfect companion to help you enjoy your morning paper, read prescriptions and enjoy day to day life again. It's not too big, not too heavy and you can switch lenses depending on the situation.
This is a nice product which has a quality feel to it. You get a handheld magnifying glass which has two interchangeable lenses. The first one gives you 5x magnification and a 4.5” focal length, while the other had 10x magnification and a 2.3” focal length. With the purchase you will get a nice carry pouch and also a cleaning cloth for the lens. As I mentioned above, it has LED light which will allow you to read in bed. The light is very efficient so you won’t have to change the batteries often.
People who bought it have plenty of nice things to say. The build quality is excellent even though the handle is made from plastic. Also, if you have a problem, the customer service is very friendly and you will get a solution very quickly. Users also added it’s very light and just the right size so you can hold it in your hand for a longer time. The carry pouch is very useful. It’s really a great gift to buy for yourself or for your loved one who has problems reading.
MagniPros Magnifying Glass with 10 Anti Glare & Dimmable LED Light
- ★ RECTANGULAR SHAPES THE WAY YOU NATURALLY READ: The rectangular lens is especially design to simulate the way we naturally view things from left to right, the magnifying lens covers large viewing area without having your hands move all the time, lens is measured 4.35"x 2.7" and magnifies up to 300%.
- ★3X+5X DUAL MAGNIFICATION LENS: Made out of optical grade acrylic which is lighter and more scratch-resistant & shatterproof than glass while provides the same clarity level. The large rectangular main lens can magnify up to 300% while the smaller bifocal lens at the corner can magnify up to 5x(500%) for detalis- It is perfect for reading/viewing small prints Map, Newspaper, Magazine and also great for eye conditions such as aging eyes and macular degeneration.
- ★REDUCE EYE STRAIN & DIMMABLE LIGHTING : This led magnifier is clinically proven to be ideal for anyone who strains their eyes to see words on a page because it magnifies and provides light without glare. The roller dimmer allows you to easily adjust the brightness level(peaks at 600 lumens) with the tap of a finger to achieve the perfect lighting for various tasks.
- ★ LIGHTWEIGHT & ERGONOMIC HANDLE: Thanks to the special design premium lighter lens it only weighs 6.5oz, in addition, the handle of this LED magnifier is ergonomically designed to grip/hold comfortable for most hands, making it ideal for anyone who loves to read for longer period of time.
- ★ 10 ENERGY EFFICIENT & LONG LASTING SMD LEDs: Our SMD LEDs are powered by 3 AAA batteries(Not included) and are designed to last more than 100,000 hour. They provide more evenly lit viewing area, our LED lighting will last for more than 20 years without burning out or overheating. Save money and energy while enjoying long lasting bright light.
The MagniPros designed this glass to be rectangular in shape to mimic the way we usually look at things more closely. The horizontal acrylic lens measures 4.35”x2.5” and has a 3x (300%) magnification. There is also LED light included but with a different design. It illuminates a larger area, and there is a wheel on the side to control the amount of light you are getting. The glare white paper gives you is also eliminated. The manufacturer added a pouch and a cleaning bag as a bonus.
This product has many satisfied users. It was especially helpful to seniors who needed additional light to read the small print. It’s very handy and eliminates the need to constantly move it around because the lens covers a significant area and the picture doesn’t get much distortion. It’s really a nice product to help you enjoy your books and magazines to the fullest.
RELATED GUIDE: Large Print Coloring Books for Seniors
5.5 Inch Jumbo Reading Magnifying Glass with 3 LED Light for Seniors
- √LARGE VIEWING AREA :5.5 Inch super large-size lighted magnifying clear lens could work as a full page magnifier,plus 2 extra 4X 25X lens built in,could work as a jewelry loup
- √CRYSTAL CLEAR LENS :Optical grade distortion-free magnifying lens improves image quality,great for reading, coins, stamps, and hobbies
- √POWRFUL LED LIGHT : 3 bright LED light that offer an illuminated magnification in the dark and can be turned on/off with a simple press (Batteries not included)
- √LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN:Weigh only 5.8 oz and easy grip ergonomic handle fits comfortably in your hand for prolonged use
- √LIFE TIME WARRANTY:worry-free life time warranty and friendly customer service
The Jumbo reading glass is an oversized product many will like. The diameter is 5.5 inches, while the lens is completely clear and distortion free. The main lens has 2x magnification, while there are additional two which have 4x and 25x. This makes it versatile and good for reading even very small text. It weighs only 5.8oz and because of this and the ergonomic handle, it’s very practical for elderly to use. Like others, it has LED lighting included. You also receive a cleaning cloth with the purchase.
Users had many nice words to say about this product. The biggest upside is the extra large lens which allows you to see many things without constant movement. Also, the weight isn’t a problem even for those over 80 years old. Finally, it’s very tough and durable, people are generally satisfied with the quality. As with those previously reviewed, you won’t be wrong if you choose this product to help you read.
Do you know of other large print magazines for seniors that I missed? Please tell me about them in the comments below!