When you or someone you know has Parkinson’s disease, you know all too well that the suffering that this ailment can cause in so many ways. One of the most difficult daily activities is eating without dropping food. It can be very frustrating. That’s why it’s important to have the best stabilizing utensils for Parkinson’s at your disposal. Occupational Therapists recommend that the best stabilizing utensils for Parkinson’s be used on a regular basis for the ultimate way to deal with these issues.
Why Do People With Parkinson’s Need Special Eating Utensils?
You know that with Parkinson’s, the tremors within the hands are devastating at times. Picking up small things is hard and eating is a chore in itself. Preparing the meal is also difficult because the fingers tend to be weaker than other people that don’t have Parkinson’s. With the best stabilizing utensils for Parkinson’s Disease, you’ll feel more confident when you are able to handle these types of issues.
What Utensil Options Are Available To People With Parkinson’s?
There are utensils that utilize weights, special handles, and swivels to assist someone with Parkinson’s. This will allow you to mobilize the hand in a better way so that you can pick up the foods quicker. In many cases, these utensils will prevent spillage too.
The Best Stabilizing Utensils For Parkinson’s
There are many different brands on the market for stabilizing utensils. When finding the set that will benefit you the most, you want to consider price, functionality, and practicality. I have picked the 5 best stabilizing utensils that you will want to consider on the market today:
GYENNO New Version Parkinson Spoon for Hand Tremors
- GYENNO steady spoon electronically stabilizes so the attached utensil shakes 85% less than your hand. Worry less about spilling and focus on enjoying your meal.
- GYENNO portable tableware includes two parts: a stabilizing handle and a utensil attachment. Switch on and off automatically, automatically turn to sleeping mode when you stop using.
- GYENNO tremor spoon has ergonomic design which adapted to the general Hands Use habit, total weight 130g, easy to hold and to prevent from slippery.
- Fully charged battery can run three meals a day （The maximum use of time is 180 minutes). It has replaceable battery designed and the notification light shows using/battery status.
- GYENNO essential tremor aids made of Tritan, medical grade silicone, anti-abcterial, in the case of the use of such materials, can rest assured to eat. Tritan is approved by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration FDA (food contact notification (fcn) no. 729)
This utensil set for people with Parkinson’s uses an electronic motor that vibrates. This vibration helps offset the hand tremors caused by the disease.
Here is a video that shows this spoon and fork set in use with an explanation about how it works:
User reviews are mixed on this one. Some users swear by it and others said it didn’t work at all.
The issue seems to be around how bad the user’s tremors are. It seems to work best with mild to moderate tremors. There is also a bit of a learning curve to it, so it probably takes some practice and experience to get the full benefit.
Vive Weighted Utensils Parkinson Spoon and Fork Set Plus Knife
- DESIGNED FOR INDEPENDENT MEALTIMES: Providing greater independence at mealtimes, the four-piece weighted tableware set reduces tremors due to Parkinson’s disease, ataxia, essential tremors and weakened grip strength. Restoring dignity and normalcy, the polished stainless steel utensils are styled to be inconspicuous for confident use at home and on the go.
- VERSATILE FOUR PIECE SET: Designed for optimal functionality, the set includes a serrated table knife, a standard fork, tablespoon and soup spoon, the adaptive, weighted utensil set reduces spills, splashes and drops at every meal. The soup spoon also features a deep bowl to prevent spills and mishaps.
- ERGONOMIC WEIGHTED DESIGN: Ergonomically designed to fit comfortably in the hand, each piece of the adaptive set is weighted between 7.4 ounces to 7.9 ounces to provide extra stability for those with weak grip strength or limited dexterity.
- DISHWASHER SAFE STAINLESS STEEL: Constructed with a premium stainless steel, the durable utensil set is also dishwasher safe for added convenience.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
You’ll have the optimal functionality with this weighted set of utensils. The weights are an unbelievable benefit for people that experience slippage while eating. If you suffer from Parkinson’s, this is common when you are trying to eat delicate especially. You’ll love how these utensils will give you an added edge when you need it. At a price of $44.99, I love the way this set looks especially. It offers the functionality and practicality in many ways that are highly beneficial when I suffer with my tremors.
BUNMO Adaptive Utensils for Elderly/Arthritis/Weak Hand Grip & Handicapped - Convenient Travel Pouch
$16.21 in stock
- LARGE EASY-GRIP HANDLES: Our light weighted foam grip handles are designed for maximum hold
- SUPPORTIVE UTENSILS – Specially designed assistive devices. Great as elderly & handicap utensils
- CONVENIENT FOUR-PIECE SET: Tablespoon, teaspoon, rocker knife and fork. Perfect arthritis aids
- PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL: BunMo Adaptive Silverware is made of high quality rustproof stainless steel
- SHARP KITCHEN KNIFE: Original curved design, sharp and meets the standards of adaptive equipment
This is a great bargain for $21.99 and it includes forks, knives, and spoons. They are made wider than other utensils and since they are weighted, it makes this stainless steel set of utensils ideal. Your hands will be able to grip them easily. You’ll be able to cut food from up above, like meats and other types of foods. They are made for Parkinson’s sufferers because they are shaped well.
Weighted Adaptive Utensils for Hand Tremors, Arthritis, Parkinson’s Disease
- Prevents shaky hands from affecting the ability to eat independently, making mealtime easier for those with limited grip, weak hands and weak wrists, limited mobility, and trouble with functional movement.
- Non-Slip, Wide Grip: Each of our weighted adaptive utensils features a wider ribbed handle with raised, textured grips to improve control and dexterity.
- 4-Piece Set: Every order comes with four eating utensils, including a fork, knife, dinner spoon and a soup spoon. A very helpful set of built up utensils that cover a wide range of meals.
- Built With Durability: Along with a food-grade safe silicone handle, each utensil is made with high quality stainless steel that is dishwasher safe.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED! - We are so confident about the quality of our products, we will refund your purchase if you are not satisfied.
This is a stainless steel 4-piece set that looks fantastic for a price of only $19.95. With this set, you’ll be impressed with the way that you’ll be able to consume your food in a much better fashion. You won’t need to worry about dropping food off of your utensils with the way that is made.
Oneida Paul Revere 5-Piece Flatware Set, Service for 1
$29.99 in stock
1 used from $69.99
- 5-piece flatware set with service for 1. Set includes 1 each: salad/dessert fork, place fork, place knife, place spoon, and teaspoon
- 18/10 stainless steel. Durable and stylish
- Dishwasher safe, never needs polishing
- Limited lifetime warranty. Each piece of fine quality Oneida stainless is warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner
This stainless steel of utensils is great for everyday use and you’ll be glad that it never needs polished and still looks great. For a price of $29.99, it also comes with a warranty. This is great for you because if there are any manufacturer problems, you’ll be able to have the pieces replaced. You’ll love the way that you will be able to use these for harder types of dishes, like meats and larger meals. The handles fit comfortably in your fingers for an excellent grip.
Kinsman KEatlery Weighted Utensils
1 used from $22.96
- Highly polished 18.0 stainless steel
- Each utensil weighs approximately 7.2 ounces
- Dishwasher safe.
- Handle has finger indentation to provide a comfortable, ergonomic grasp.
- Includes Fork, Knife, Teaspoon, and Soup Spoon.
This set of four pieces each, which include: Knives, forks and spoons is great to use for all different types of dishes. You’ll want to time in getting used to the utensils because the more that you practice with them, the less difficult eating will be. The price is $42.95 so it is a little bit higher than the other utensil sets.
Quick Mention Of The Stabilizing Utensils For Gifts
If you know someone that has Parkinson’s, these stabilizing utensils make an excellent gift idea. Not only for a holiday but birthdays and any other special occasion throughout the year. They can benefit from them in many ways.
When you have the best stabilizing utensils for Parkinson’s, you’ll be able to eat in a relaxed fashion. These are all excellent choices for you so that dealing with the disease will be much easier.
Do you have other devices or tricks for making eating easier for people with Parkinson’s disease? Please leave your comments and suggestions in the section below!