Walking canes are easily the most common mobility aid that you will see. I know that I hear people daily looking for canes at the medical equipment store where I work. But, did you know that there are a lot more options to consider besides a plain jane cane? For example, walking canes with lights built into them are a unique option. This type of walking aid offers additional safety and security. These are especially helpful for seniors who are out at night. Keep reading to learn more about them and which ones I recommend.
Uses for Walking Canes with Lights
Walking canes are typically used for people with an injury on one side to help them maintain their balance. Many cane users are still active in their daily life, though. Some still work and others attend church and social functions that are important to them. Often, these events go into the evening hours when it is dark. These times are a little more dangerous for elderly and seniors.
Night Time Uses
So, having a walking cane with a light is very helpful to this group of seniors especially. Here are a few ways elderly people can benefit:
- Uneven surfaces. If seniors are walking at night, it is important that they are able to see cracks in sidewalks and other trip hazards. This reduces the chance of a fall.
- Household hazards. Cane users who get up frequently during the night are at risk for falls. A lighted cane helps them see trip hazards like rugs and cords. (Note: these trip hazards should be eliminated. See my fall protection checklist for more info)
- Finding switches and locks. A cane with a light is useful for finding light switches when entering a dark room. And, shining the light on the lock makes unlocking a door quicker and easier.
- Safer street crossings. Walking canes with lights make crossing the street safer by making the user easier to see. Cars and other pedestrians may see the user quicker which could prevent accidents.
- Letting the dog out. Very useful for seniors who walk their dog (or other pet!) at night.
Day Time Uses Too!
Canes with lights aren’t only useful at night. There are some real benefits to having one during the day, too. Here are a few you may not have thought of:
- Dark halls and stairs. These parts of the house are often toward the middle of the house. So, stairways and hallways are often dark, even in the middle of the day.
- Shady sidewalks. For seniors with poor eyesight, even heavily shaded sidewalks could be a problem. Having a quick light to turn on could reduce the chance of falling.
- Daytime street crossings, too. Daytime street crossings are safer to for cane users who have a light. This makes them easier for cars and bicycles to see in advance. Kind of like the daytime running lights in cars.
Features to Consider
There are several key features to consider when shopping for a lighted walking cane. You need more than a cane with a flashlight attached. Make sure it is safe and improves walking for the senior first.
These important usability features are discussed more in my best walking canes article:
- Adjustable Height. It is very important that the cane is adjustable to fit the user. A properly fit cane reduces pain in wrists and shoulders. This also reduces the chance of an injury.
- The Cane Base. Based on the walking ability of the senior or elder, a wider base may be needed. Standard single point canes are for people with better balance. Wide base, 4 point canes (quad canes) are recommended for people who need more support and help walking. Learn more about these here. Of course, you can buy both standard or quad canes with lights.
Here are some other features to think about when buying a walking cane with light:
- Type of Light. The type of lighting used is very important. Incandescent bulbs, for example, are more likely to blow because of movement.LED lights are brighter, more stable, and last longer. But, they are sometimes harder to change out.
- Adjustable Angle. The ability to change the angle of the light is worth considering. For example, the user can point the light at the ground for general walking. Then, they could bend it to point at a door lock or light switch.
- Light Power Source. Consider the power source for the light especially if the senior will maintain the cane. Most of these products use batteries. But, AA or AAA batteries could be easier to change for seniors and elders. Small, button batteries are often too small for arthritic fingers to handle.
- Folding Canes. Folding canes are available with lights, too. The ability to fold a cane up is handy for seniors who don’t need a cane 100% of the time. These canes fold up and assemble quickly. Storing these canes in a purse or bag is easy also.
- Alarms, Bells, etc. Some walking canes with lights also offer panic alarms, loud bells, and flashing lights. There is even a model that has a built-in stun gun. These are probably most useful for people who need extra security or alert options.
Walking Canes with Lights: Reviews and Recommendations
Here are my reviews of walking canes with lights and recommendations of the best models. My foremost concern with these products is that they are safe and functional to use. Secondary concerns are the optional features. And, just so you know, you won’t get this kind of cane using Medicare benefits.
Comparison Chart: Walking Canes with Lights
Ohuhu Folding Walking Cane with LED Light, Adjustable Walking Stick with Carrying Bag for Fathers Mothers Gifts
- STAND ON ITS OWN: 360 degree ANTI-SLIP pivoting base provides easy walk on all terrain
- FOLDABLE,LIGHTWEIGHT,and PORTABLE: folds up in seconds,light weight,put it in the coming carrying bag. Anodized aluminum body provides maximum safety to handle up to 250 lbs
- 5 ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT LEVELS: With the simple push of a button on top of the cane ,you can adjust the height in 1 inch increment from 33 inch to 37 inch
- 6 BUILT-IN LEDs: The bright lights will safely guide you in dark and the light direction can be adjusted to meet your needs
- ERGONICALLY DESIGNED: The handle is contoured to fit the shape of your palm and relive wrist pressure as well as a rubber tip for extra grip
This is one of the best overall canes with lights available at Amazon. The price is super low too for all that it has to offer. I like that it has all the necessary features to make it usable and functional as a walking aid for many seniors and elders. It is adjustable in height and also has a wider base. It can even stand on its own to keep the user from having to prop it up and hope it doesn’t fall.
Also, for a price well below $20.00, it has a ton of other handy features. It folds up quickly and comes with a convenient storage bag. The light itself uses bright LED lighting and adjusts to where the user needs it to go. A soft foam, ergonomic handle is another plus.
As much as I love it, though, the Ohuhu cane is not perfect. It only comes in black. So, more fashionable seniors may pass on this one. It also uses 4 small (LR44) button-style batteries which are more difficult to change out when needed.
What I Like:
- Wide base – better support and stands on its own
- Height adjustable to fit a wide range of users.
- Light angle adjusts to suit the user
- Weighs less than 1 lb
What I Don’t Like:
- Only available in black
- 250 lb weight capacity
- Batteries are small and perhaps more difficult to change and are not included
G&M Adjustable Folding Walking Cane Chair Stool Massage Walking Stick with Seat Portable Fishing Rest Stool with LED Light for Elder
- Material: High Strength Aluminium Alloy + High Strength Engineering Plastic Seat
- Open Size: 485CM-570CM Approximately
- Fold Size:820CM-930CM Approximately
- Great portable seat/cane for hip replacement recovery.
- flashlight very handy, height adjustable, get extra rubber cups for tripod legs and seat cover，comes fully assembled，great cane and quick change to chair
This walking cane offers a unique set of features not found in many other canes. The combination of a fold-out seat with a light makes this the best cane with a light for outdoor or for long distances. A fold-out seat quickly and easily gives seniors and elders a rest break. The LED helps light the way too for dusk and dark. Highly adjustable – both the handle and seat are height adjustable – so it fits a wide range of users… up to 467 lb!
But, this one isn’t for everyone. Because it includes a seat and extra support rails, it is heavier – about 3 lbs. It is also a bit clunkier to manage because of its larger size. The user should have good side to side stability because of the narrow base points that make contact with the ground.
What I Like:
- High weight capacity of 467 lbs
- Fold-out seat is good for users who need a rest from time to time
- Stylish bronze finish
- Both the handle height and seat height are adjustable
What I Don’t Like
- Light angle is not adjustable
- Heavier due to included seat – about 3 lbs
- Larger in design and not as easy to store
Sminiker Professional LED Folding Walking Cane with Carrying Bag for Old Gentleman or Lady Aluminum Alloy Foldable Cane with Light
2 used from $17.93
- 1.Walking cane gives you what you need to provide strong support, and safety measures to prevent accidents.
- 2. Folding walking stick design style, great vision in the night.
- 3. Super wide rotating head makes it easy to walk on any type of ground with cushioning handle and increase comfort.
- 4. Folding cane Stands up on its own, cushion handle Aluminum Stick Rubber base support.
- 5. Carrying Bag Included, folds up in seconds, light weight, folds small so it fits in your handbag.
I am recommending this walking cane as the best safety cane with lights. This one should be considered for any elder or senior who is a higher fall risk. A shrill, loud alarm sounds anytime the user pressed the red button on the side. This is a great way to call for help if the user falls or needs emergency help.
It also has many of the functional features I recommend like an adjustable height handle and a pivoting, wide base of support. It’s a pretty cheap walking cane with light too for all that it offers.
There are some improvements that should be considered. The light angle adjusts by rotating it in a ball and joint socket. This does limit the angle somewhat. But, most of the time it will be angled at the ground.
What I Like:
- Adjustable height handle
- Good, wide base of support
- Shrill alarm summons help when needed
- Folds up for quick and easy storage
- Carrying handle and storage bag are included
What I Don’t Like:
- Light angle does adjust but not to the extent of some of the others
- The alarm button can be accidentally pushed potentially scaring the user
Walking Cane Stun Gun1 Million Volts with LED Flashlight Includes Case
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 0797648958564|
|Product Type Name||SPORTING_GOODS|
|Title||Walking Cane Stun Gun1 Million Volts with LED Flashlight Includes Case|
|UPC List||UPC List Element: 797648958564|
ZZZZZZZAP! I want one of these to play with. For seniors who need an extra dose of security, this is one of the best security canes on the market.
The 1 million volt stun gun is designed to scare and incapacitate threats. Not only people, but imagine a senior with a cane encountering a large dog or other animals. The stun gun is activated by flipping a power button, a red LED lights when the ready, and then the black button must be pressed. It even makes a loud popping sound that alone will scare most animals and people away.
As far as its use as a cane goes, it has some basic features. It is height adjustable with a sturdy one-piece construction. But, it only has a single point of contact with the ground so the user should be fairly stable and have good balance.
Other included optional features are the LED light, although, it is not angle adjustable and lights the forward path only. I love that the cane is rechargeable and there are no batteries to change out. The manufacturer claims the charge will last for 3 months or 500 firings.
There may be some legalities to consider here. You should verify it is legal to possess in your area. Some places have laws against stun guns and concealed weapons. This is not the best choice for every senior.
What I Like:
- Height adjustable handle
- Bright LED lighting system
- 1 million volt stun gun included for user safety
- Stun gun cannot accidentally fire
- Battery is rechargeable and last about 3 months depending on use
What I Don’t Like:
- Light is not adjustable in angle
- 250 lb weight capacity
Conclusion and Wrap-up
I hope I have given you the information you need about the best walking canes with lights. It is important to remember that, first, these are aids to walking. Having a light and other features are second only to that primary purpose. Many of the canes I reviewed above add to the walking assistance to make the products a better cane overall.
Have you had any experience with lighted walking canes? Where else do you think a cane with a light would help? Please share your favorites with me in the comments below!