We all know how important it is to exercise, regardless of our age. But for seniors and elderly people, getting your body moving is even more imperative to living a healthy lifestyle. Regular exercise increases circulation, which can reduce the chance of heart problems, arthritis in the joints, and more. It also elevates mood and helps you sleep better.
One of the best exercises for seniors to do is a gentle seated bike motion. This exercise doesn’t put much pressure on the hips, knees, or ankles, but still gets your body moving. Just a few minutes of this a couple times per week can create radical differences in your lifestyle.
To do this, you don’t need any sort of expensive gym membership or personal trainer. All you need is a seated pedaling machine. Pedal exercisers are small and portable, and can sit on the floor in front of a seat of your choice, or elevated on a table. These little machines give you versatility and control over your workout without leaving the comfort of your own home. Read on to find out about the best pedal exerciser for elderly people.
Platinum Fitness PFP2200 Fit Sit Deluxe Folding Pedal Exerciser
$49.11 in stock
- Fit sit deluxe pedal exercisers are a perfect companion for fitness and rehabilitation of legs and arms
- Five function LCD readout displays exercise time, Revolution count, revolutions per minute and Calories burned
- New cool rev technology prevents dangerous overheating, a common problem found in most Competitive products
- Quick folding frame makes the fit sit easy to store and easy to travel with, no tools Required
- Includes anchor strap to prevent the bike from sliding during Use
First, this foldable pedal exerciser is great for seniors because it’s easy to use, has great safety features, and doesn’t take up too much space. It can be folded up entirely to be stored in any compact space, or carried around for easy transportation.
The function LCD screen shows you exercise time, pedal count, speed, and burned calories as you move, so you can keep track of your fitness level and goals during your workout and over time. What I really appreciate about this pedal exerciser is that it comes with an anchor strap that secures the machine in one place, so you can be sure that it won’t slip or cause any injuries. The pedals also have straps over the top to secure the feet onto them, adding even more safety.
Vive Pedal Exerciser - Stationary Exercise Leg Peddler
8 used from $ 35.54
- VERY SIMPLE ASSEMBLY : We have designed this product with your convenience in mind. Our team of engineers have created a quick-step setup to get you toning muscle instantly. All required tools will be included with each purchase for your satisfaction.
- GREAT FOR TONING MUSCLES AND IMPROVING CONCENTRATION: Compact pedal exerciser can be used to strengthen arms and legs, increasing circulation, improving stamina and relieving tension for greater focus and concentration. Quiet and smooth pedal operation allows the Vive pedal exerciser to be used in the office as well as at home. Use while on your phone, watching tv, or playing video games to include beneficial exercise in your day.
- COMPACT PATENT PENDING DESIGN FITS UNDER ANY DESK: Compact design is 12.5" high, easily fitting under a desk or similar space. Non-slip, nonmarking feet ensure the pedal exerciser stays in place on any surface, including any tabletop, carpet or hard floor surfaces. The low profile design keeps the pedal exerciser from wobbling and sliding while in use. Each pedal also has a nonslip surface with molded finger grips and adjustable toe loops for added comfort and safety.
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE FOR CUSTOMIZED EXERCISE: Easily adjust the resistance level with the tension knob for a personalized exercise experience. Great low impact exercise for beginners and perfect for rehabilitation following a surgery or injury.
- ONE TOUCH MULTIFUNCTION DISPLAY: A large, easy to read LCD screen displays RPM, time, speed, distance and calories burned with the touch of a button that is easily accessible while in use
Next up, a more medical-oriented pedal exercise is from Vive, and it suits seniors’ needs perfectly. The large LCD screen has very large text and it’s easy to read. The 7 meters displayed include scan, time, RPM, odometer, calories burned, distance, and speed, which makes tracking your fitness super easy. It also has adjustable resistance settings if you feel strong enough to increase that setting with a large, easy to turn knob at the front of the device.
The pedals on this machine are also made out of rubber, so they’re anti-slip and scratch resistant, like the pick above, but it doesn’t have any sort of extra security measures beyond that. You’ll have to find a way to secure it to your surface yourself.
It is a versatile machine though, as it’s easy to use for arm or leg workouts, and it’s small enough to fit anywhere or be transported around easily.
DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike Pedal Exerciser
$159.00 in stock
4 used from $ 135.65
- Lowest pedal height available; Only 10 Inches; Can work with desks as low as 27 Inches; See description for details,Pedal arm Length:3 1/2 inches
- More than twice the resistance range of the other pedal exercisers; 8 calibrated resistance settings; from very easy to more than you need
- Magnetic resistance provides smooth, quiet pedal motion; let's you focus on your work and your co-workers focus on theirs
- Same patented magnetic resistance mechanism and high quality components as the MagneTrainer
- 5 function display shows speed, time, distance calories and scan; Online calorie calculator on website for very accurate calories burned
For a high tech option that still offers low-impact training, check out DeskCycle’s under the desk bike pedal machine. It fits discreetly under any desktop or tabletop surface, and has a detachable monitor so that you can keep track of what you’re doing without looking down at the screen. This monitor tracks speed, time, burned calories, distance, and scan mode, which shows all of the data every 3 seconds. This is especially useful for seniors who are still working, or just want to be able to perform other tasks while exercising.
The other main advantage of this pedal exerciser is its low rotation height of just 10 inches. This is more than enough for most seniors, who just want a low impact, gentle exercise, and also makes it easy to fit anywhere in your household. It also has the option to choose between 8 resistance levels though, so it’s very customizable despite the small size.
It also has added safety features like a wide base to prevent instability, velcro straps for security, and magnetic resistance operational features, which make the motions incredibly smooth and virtually noiseless.
MagneTrainer-ER Mini Exercise Bike Arm and Leg Exerciser
1 used from $ 142.25
- Compact, lightweight commercial grade arm and leg exerciser; 15 inch wide base and sturdy steel frame
- Patented magnetic resistance; More than twice the resistance range of the other magnetic pedal exercisers
- Sturdy steel base and wide footprint for excellent stability; Both legs are over 15-Inch wide
- Adjustable Velcro straps on pedals to accommodate all foot sizes; pedals work with both feet and hands
- Electronic monitor displays Speed, Distance, Time and Calories. Runs on single AA Battery (included)
If that magnetic resistance feature is something you’d like to dive into even deeper, check out MagneTrainer’s pedal exerciser. Its patented magnetic resistance technology allows you to adjust resistance levels of up to almost twice that of other machines, with virtually no noise in either forward or backwards directions.
The steel frame and wide 15 inch base offer great stability, but it includes velcro straps for the pedals anyway for added peace of mind. It’s still compact enough to fit virtually anywhere though, and can be used for arm or leg exercise. It also has a simple battery powered electronic display screen that shows you your calories burned, speed, distance, and time for your workout.
Exerpeutic Motorized Leg and Arm Exercise Bike with Bonus Mat
$93.26 in stock
1 used from $ 84.29
- Exercise while you work, watch TV, browse the internet from seated position
- Promotes blood circulation, improves balance, and strengthens muscles
- Adjustable speed motor that offers a low impact workout that's easy on the joints
- Multi-function LCD displays distance, time, calories and speed
- Built-in carry handles for easy portability, includes non-skid floor mat
Finally, one of my favorites on this list is the Exerpeutic pedal exerciser, mostly because it includes an anti-skid mat with your purchase. Many other pedal exercisers need to be placed against some sort of wall or edge of the desk to not move around while in use, but this anti-skid mat allows the machine to be placed virtually anywhere and be ready to go.
Other than that, this pedal exerciser has a motor-powered operation with a range from low impact pedaling to high impact, intense resistance workouts. It works for arms or legs too, since it can be placed on any surface (floor or tabletop) without slipping. The large LCD display shows you your time, distance, calories, and speed in a nice and simple layout. There’s also an included handle at the top of the device for easy transportation and added stability, which is a unqiue feature. The pedals also have removable foot straps for security as well.
Summary and Final Recommendations
In my opinion, the best pedal exerciser for elderly people is the Exerpeutic, with the Platinum Fitness coming in at a close second. The safety features of these are what really stand out and make them perfectly suited for seniors who are just looking for a quick, safe workout to keep their bodies active and their minds at ease. Check them out and let me know what you think in the comments below!
If you are ready for a full exercise bike, check out my recommendations in this guide.
What do you use to get a safe workout at home? Let me know in the comments below. Share with friends and family on social media so that they can also experience this easy-to-use exercise method!