The signs of early dementia are pretty common.
Your loved one forgets where he/she put their keys or glasses, cannot recognize people in family photos, and similar other things. If you have a member in your house who has dementia, you should think before buying gifts for them this season. Try to choose gifts that will help them jog back their memories.
10 Ideal Gifts for Someone with Early Dementia
Here are a few that I personally recommend.
NIX Advance 8-Inch Digital Photo Frame X08E (Non-WiFi) - Digital Picture Frame with 1024x768 XGA IPS Display, Motion Sensor, Photo Auto-Rotate, USB and SD Card Slots and Remote Control
- THE SUPERIOR NON-WIFI DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME: Enjoy crisp, vivid photos (JPEG) and videos (MPEG-4) on the NIX Advance's 8 inch 1024x768 High Resolution IPS (4:3) LED backlit display and built in stereo speakers
- DISPLAY THOUSANDS OF PHOTOS AND VIDEOS: Enjoy all your favorite memories on the NIX Advance Digital Photo Frame; Choose from different slideshow transitions: Play them according to their date or their file name, or shuffle them
- EASY PLUG AND PLAY: Set up your Frame in minutes; Just insert a USB stick or a memory card (SD/SDHC) to instantly display your favorite photos and videos on the NIX Advance Digital Picture Frame; does not connect to WiFi
- PACKED WITH FEATURES: Built-in Clock and Calendar functions; Energy saving Hu-Motion Sensor automatically turns the frame on and off; intuitive remote control included
- SUPPORT WHEN YOU NEED IT: Our Customer Service team is here to help you with your NIX Digital Frame; We want to do everything we can to make you happy with your frame
As already mentioned, the first signs of dementia will include forgetting the names of family members. So, the best way to constantly remind your loved one about everyone is gifting a photo album with a family tree. You can buy a digital photo frame along with a memory card. Make sure you save a lot of photos so that when the slideshow starts, he/she can look at similar images and recognize the faces and names. By the way, it’s better to mention the names of the people in the picture. So, edit accordingly.
TimerCap Automatically Displays Time Since Last Opened - Built-in Stopwatch Smart Pill Bottle Cap Medication Reminder Case (Qty 4-1.8 oz Amber Bottles) EZ -Twist/CRC
- Easy to Use: No alarms & nothing to program or set. Just close the TimerCap and the stopwatch automatically counts up the seconds, minutes, and hours so you can be confident to know the exact time.
- Stopwatch: These TimerCap organizer automatically show the time when the pill bottles were last closed, helping to avoid dosage mistake, potential overdose, detect or deter others from experimenting
- Safety taking medication: Whether you are living with chronic issues, recovering from surgery or addressing age related safety issues, this help achieve medication management, simply and reliably.
- Portable: These TimerCaps easily organize your pill medication to fit in your pocket, purse, medicine cabinet or travel bag. Taking medication can now be anxiety free and simple.
- Trying to match a bottle: We have many styles to meet your needs or don’t worry because these caps do come with bottles. Just peel off the label, place it on the new bottle and now your protected.
This is another issue that you will face if you live with someone who has dementia. He/she will forget if they had regular medicines. If they don’t take medicines on time, their condition will deteriorate. Don’t let that happen. Gift them a pill organizer that comes with a reminder alarm. Some of these models also mention the day of the week. So you don’t have to separate the pills. The alarm will go off whenever it is time to have medicines.
RELATED GUIDE: Best Automatic Pill Dispensers for the Elderly
Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1 Pack
$16.75 in stock
13 used from $12.99
- The world’s best selling Bluetooth tracker just got 25 percent smaller. Tile Mate easily loops onto keychains or attaches to anything you don’t want to lose so you can find it fast
- Use your smartphone to make your Tile Mate ring when it’s nearby. Your Tile isn’t where you left it. You can anonymously enlist help in the Tile community. With over 5 million Tile devices sold, it is the world’s largest lost and found network
- Find your phone. Can't find your phone: Simply double press the button on your Tile Mate to make your phone ring even on silent Water resistant: Up to IP57 standards. Sound : 88 decibel melody
- See where you had it last. The easy to use, free Tile app remembers the last time and place it saw your Tile, so if you left it somewhere, you’ll always know where to look
- Battery life: One year from shipment: Charging: None All activity measurements and calculations are estimates. Accuracy is affected by various factors including physiology, location of device, and different movements
Experts believe that the early stages of dementia include forgetting pills and several other essential items like keys and glasses. So, a key finder can become a handy gift that you can connect to their mobile phone via Bluetooth. As soon as they can’t find their keys, they can look up in their phone so that they can hear a buzz. This will help to locate the keys quickly.
This is an incredible way to keep your loved one engaged for hours. Activity books include various things like Sudoku, crossword puzzles, picture games, etc. It’s a gift that suits those having early signs of dementia. Some of these books also have names of countries along with their capitals. He/she will have to match the names of the countries and their respective capitals on every page. It’s a test to understand the number of names and capitals he/she remembers.
La Crosse Technology WS-8418U-IT Atomic Digital Wall Clock with Moon Phase
$38.83 in stock
4 used from $26.60
- Atomic indoor wall clock with moon phase and indoor/outdoor temperature display from La Crosse; sets automatically to WWVB signal
- Large digital display; alarm clock function with snooze button
- Outside TX37U-IT sensor transmits data every 4 seconds at 915MHz from up to 330 feet away; manual setting option
- Requires separate purchase of 4 AA batteries; low battery indication icons for both clock and sensor
- Clock measures 10-1/4 inches wide by 1-1/6 inches deep by 9-3/4 inches high; 1-year limited warranty.Dimensions:Sensor: 1.50 L x 0.83 W x 5.05 H inches
People with early dementia also forget the time now and then. You will often see your family member asking the time frequently because he/she forgot about it in a few minutes. So, a big digital clock can be handy. Keep it in the room where he/she spends most of the time. Whenever he/she wants to know the time, the clock is there to help.
You can also set alarms on the clock for meals. It can help to channel their mind into doing the same thing over and over again so that they become habituated.
RELATED GUIDE: Best Electronic Calendar Clocks for Dementia
This is one of the best gifts that you can purchase for anyone with early dementia. Compile a playlist of some of his/her favorite songs. These music players usually support a USB device or memory card. Save plenty of songs so that he/she can enjoy for hours.
The advantage of using this type of music player is the user doesn’t have to know a lot of operations. They usually come with a single play and stop button. If they don’t want to listen to songs anymore, they can press the stop button. The next time they play, the songs will resume from where they left.
RELATED GUIDE: Best MP3 Players for Seniors
If your loved one has dementia but is always fond of cooking, he/she may forget the ingredients of her favorite dish. So, collect all his/her recipes from diaries or journals. You need to write them down in a family recipe book and decorate it with pictures and stickers. Be as creative as you can be. You can also include some of the traditional recipes that he/she can try.
DH Beacon: Weighted (4Lbs) Sensory Lap Blanket: 12" x 36 - Calming & Relaxing, Soft, Warm & Comfortable - Machine Washable.
$36.95 in stock
1 used from $23.58
- THE CAREGIVERS CHOICE: The weighted blanket is a great choice for all caregivers of elderly to help seniors relax.
- RELAXING AND CALMING: The blanket feels like a warm embrace as it gently puts pressure on the body that mimics the sensation of being held. The soothing, weighted blanket will also help anyone sleep deeper and better.
- PREMIUM QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: The soothing blanket is made with soft poly cotton so it can gently caress your loved ones and keep them safe and warm. It has plastic pellets sewn into it to so it can have the extra weight without losing its softness.
- BEAUTIFUL DESIGN: The weighted blanket will make the perfect addition to every bedroom and living room. It looks like any regular blanket and it comes in two beautiful colors, aqua and brown, so you can add it to any space.
- HASSLE FREE WASHING: No need to worry about handwashing the blanket. You can take out the cover and wash it in the washing machine in no time, and if you need to, the interior is easily wiped clean so you can keep it fresh at all times.
Experts believe that sensory lap blankets can help calm the nerves of those who have early dementia. They help to increase melatonin and serotonin levels overnight. This helps them to sleep comfortably for long periods. Those with early-stage dementia often have anxiety attacks. This blanket can calm them down.
PRIMETRACKING Personal GPS Tracker - Mini, Portable, Track in Real Time - 4G LTE - with SOS Button - Locator Tracking Device - for Seniors, Kids, Cars, Vehicle, Bicycles, Spy Tracking, Travel
$49.99 in stock
1 used from $36.19
- ✅ NEVER WORRY OR WONDER AGAIN: Make sure people get where they’re going, or where they say they’re going. Get alerted if they go too far. Monitor drivers, speed, safety and logistics for businesses. Keep employees and spouses honest. And never lose your valuable possessions or assets again.
- ✅ PUT IT ANYWHERE: The tiny, lightweight Prime Tracking GPS fits and conceals easily in strollers, vehicles, backpacks or pockets. So small, it’s virtually undetectable.
- ✅ TRACK ANYWHERE IN NORTH AMERICA FROM ANYWHERE, ANYTIME: Easily and privately track any location in the U.S., Mexico and Canada from your computer, tablet, or phone. Works on multiple devices and networks, wherever there is cellular service.
- ✅ GET INFORMATION INSTANTLY: State-of-the-art 4G LTE technology means you get location, movement and direction information as it happens, updated every 10 seconds in our smartphone app or desktop interface.
- ✅ MONITOR AFFORDABLY: Just $25 /month, or $20 / month for 6 months. Cancel anytime, no contracts or activation fees. SIM Card INCLUDED.
Ideally, it is not wise to leave someone with dementia outside alone. But, if he/she insists, make sure you give them a GPS tracking device. This will not only help them come back home safely, but you can also see their precise location from your mobile phone.
Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - Smart speaker with Alexa - Charcoal
- Meet Echo Dot - Our most popular smart speaker with a fabric design. It is our most compact smart speaker that fits perfectly into small spaces.
- Improved speaker quality - Better speaker quality than Echo Dot Gen 2 for richer and louder sound. Pair with a second Echo Dot for stereo sound.
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Voice control your smart home - Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices.
This is probably what every person with dementia should have. It is one of the most useful gifts that you can pick. Alexa Echo will tell them the time, date, weather forecast, play them their favorite songs, and also remind them to have their medicines. However, you need to program them accordingly.
My Top Gift Picks
Although it may seem tough to find gifts for someone with dementia, if you think from their perspective, you will come across enough items. These are some of the gifts I would gift if I had someone with dementia in my family. The pill organizer with reminder alarm and Aexa Echo Dot are gifts that I personally like.
What other gift suggestions do you have for seniors with early dementia? Please tell me about them in the comments below. Please also share this post on social media if you found it helpful!