There are many technological devices that improve the safety of senior adults, but of all those devices, GPS trackers stand out the most. GPS trackers help caregivers keep an eye on their loved ones when they are out and about thus ensuring their safety.
The Best GPS Tracking Watches for Senior Adults
Freedom Guardian by Medical Guardian
The Freedom Guardian watch by Medical Guardian is one of the most popular GPS tracking watches for adults who need monitoring.
The watch has a large readable face with bold text and oversized icons that are easy to see. Bright colors make it fun to use too. Most seniors won’t find it too intimidating. The watchband is adjustable to fit a wide range of wrists too.
From a safety standpoint, it provides advanced location tracking though GPS when outdoors and WiFi when indoors. An emergency SOS button is also included if immediate help is needed.
Batteries will need to be recharged about every other day and there is a monthly subscription fee to this product. But, if you need a multi-function device this is a great one to choose.
- Multi-function device: watch, activity tracker, and GPS tracker
- Message and calendar alerts for medication reminders
- GPS plus WiFi Tracking
- Quick response times for emergency help
- Large, easy to see screen and watch face
- Monthly subscription fee
- Batteries need charged every other day
Here’s a quick video demonstrating the Freedom Guardian GPS watch:
3G WiFi Phone Call GPS Smart Watch
The Tycho GPS SmartWatch featured here is the ideal solution for seniors that are no longer physically young but are still young at heart. It is a highly accurate watch with a sleek and simple design that’s not only easy to understand but has all the features you would ever need.
ALSO READ: Best GPS Trackers for Elderly Adults
Seniors that prefer having their emergency button in the form of a watch will definitely enjoy this one. It not only offers full GPS functionality but also allows the user to make calls, track the steps taken every day, or even press a button to call the emergency contact.
- Easy to use
- 3G compatible GPS tracking
- Step counter encourages activity
- GeoFence alerts you if the monitored senior leaves their zone
- No free app provided
- It requires purchasing a SIM card
- It isn’t waterproof i.e. cannot be worn in the shower
- Uses 3G technology as opposed to the newer 4G technology
PINCHU D100 Smart Watch
When people get older, they become more prone to falling down, which is one danger that puts many elderly citizens in hospitals each year. The Pinchu D100 has been included here because it includes a GPS feature but it also offers a whole lot more.
The Pinchu D100 functions as a watch, step counter for tracking activity, a medication reminder, a fall-down alarm, and a heart-rate sensor. If it senses the impact of a fall, it dials out to the pre-selected emergency contact. So, it doubles as a medical alert watch for seniors who live alone.
The Pinchu D100 can be worn throughout the day, which means that you don’t have to worry about the monitored senior misplacing it.
- Easy to use
- Sporty and stylish appearance
- Set reminders to take medication, move around, etc.
- Fall Down Alarm calls the emergency contact immediately for assistance if a fall is detected
- Integrates with smartphones
- Battery has to be charged every few days
WiFi Smart Watch for the Elderly
One of the best features of this GPS tracking watch is the emphasis on 2-way communication. It can be a great tool for checking in with older, more vulnerable individuals.
You can easily keep an eye on the monitored elderly parent through the GPS tracking feature and the wearer can use the emergency alert to communicate. Other impressive features of this senior-friendly watch include the more grown-up look as well as the water-resistant case and strap.
- The watch has an impressive design and build
- The focus on 2-way communication
- Impressive quality of GPS technology used on the device
- The wide array of features can be at times confusing for seniors
- It has compatibility issues with some network providers
(Give Replaceable Strap) 3G GPS Watch for Elderly Adults
The GPS Senior Tracking Smart Watch by KKBear will appeal to many buyers since it resembles a smartwatch so much as opposed to a security or surveillance device. It has a massive screen, a bold time display, as well as 3 app-like icons for different functions.
2-way communication is perhaps the main feature of this smart watch. It can not only send messages and make calls but it can also receive them. The wearer can easily make calls or send panic alarms if they get lost and caregivers can check in with ease. The user can also turn off incoming alerts at selected times such as during hospital appointments or nap time.
- 2-way communication for improved security
- 2 different call modes
- The “Do Not Disturb” function helps with user privacy
- It could be too complicated for some elderly users
What Are GPS Trackers?
GPS trackers are devices that are used for determining and tracking the exact location of carriers. The location can be then recorded and stored on the device or transmitted to a central database. GPS trackers are essential for the protection of lives as well as movable property.
GPS trackers let you know the precise real-time location of any object, animal, or individual by simply tracking your focus with a GPS receiver device. Models designed specifically for seniors place an emphasis on functions that improve safety, including emergency buttons and health metrics.
Why Do Seniors Need GPS Trackers?
GPS trackers can be a lifesaver for seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s or various other conditions that make them prone to wandering. Even if you live in a state with a Silver Alert Program, a GPS tracker can give you peace of mind knowing that you can easily and quickly locate a loved one if they ever wander or become lost.
You may require a particular type of GPS tracker depending on your needs. If you prefer something that’s a bit discreet, you can benefit from a device that can be worn as a bracelet, watch, or necklace. However, off all these three, GPS watches are the most popular.
Here are some of the main reasons why GPS tracking devices for seniors are so important:
- Peace of Mind: Caregivers should know the exact location of seniors they are caring for at all times, particularly if the seniors have dementia or Alzheimer’s. Using GPS tracking devices for such seniors can make it easier to find them in case they wander away and get lost.
- Security: GPS tracking devices also allow for geographical fencing, which is a feature that alerts the caregiver whenever the senior being monitored goes or is taken beyond a particular geographical limit. The devices also come equipped with buttons that allow seniors to call for help when they are in dangerous situations.
- Ease of Use: GPS tracking devices for seniors are incredibly easy to use, which means that users will quickly learn how to use the key features. Whether it is contacting caregivers in case of emergencies or raising an alarm, there aren’t any complex functions for seniors to master.
Features to Consider When Buying GPS Tracking Devices for Senior Adults
If you are looking to buy a GPS tracker for an elderly loved one, you need to consider several important things before you make the purchase. Here are the main features you should look for in the best GPS tracking watch for adults.
- Ease of Use: Seniors need devices that are very easy to use. The gradual intellectual deterioration as people age can make it difficult to use complex devices.
- Real-Time Reporting: It is worth noting that not all GPS trackers actually show real-time information regarding the monitored individual’s location. Some devices just show reports that are delayed for minutes or even hours. However, devices with real-time reporting are ideal.
- Battery Life: The longer the battery life of a GPS device, the better it is. You should ideally buy devices whose battery life runs into weeks.
- Quality of Hardware: GPS trackers for seniors should be made of high-quality material that’s water resistant, not easily breakable, and made of lightweight material.
- 2-Way Voice Calling: It is one of the best features to have in a GPC tracker for seniors. It works like a speed dial and allows the tracked individual to dial any of the 2 or 3 registered numbers at the push of a button.
- Panic/Emergency Button: The ideal GPS tracking device is one that has a panic/emergency button that can be used to send an emergency SMS to the caregiver when the wearer is in trouble.
- Wearability: GPS tracking devices that are easy to wear such as GPS watches are better. This is why you should ideally choose GPS tracking devices with wearable straps such as GPS watches.
Getting your senior loved one is probably the best ways to ensure complete peace of mind if you want to track your elderly loved one for his/her own well-being and safety.
RELATED GUIDE: Best Chair Alarms for Elderly
All of these GPS tracking watches for seniors featured here are great options, so all you need to do is choose the one that best suits the requirements of your loved one.
Do you know of another GPS tracking watch that you recommend? Tell me about it in the comments below!