Who doesn’t like a good cup of joe to kick off their morning? Even if you can’t quite drink caffeine like you used to, you should still be able to enjoy a nice mug of decaf coffee.
Half of the problem for seniors who enjoy coffee, though, is that most mugs are too heavy for them to carry. They may have arthritis in their wrists or hands, which makes it difficult to grab and handle heavy mugs.
Luckily, there are many coffee mugs with large handles, two handles, or an easy grip feature that are perfectly suited for older adults. Read on to discover some of the most important features to look for in a coffee mug, as well as some suggestions for both travel and home coffee mugs.
(Should seniors even drink coffee? Learn more about the pros and cons in this guide.)
For elderly people, no spill coffee mugs are a great choice. In terms of coordination and ease of use, the no spill features make the whole process of drinking coffee much easier for seniors.
No spill features can come in many forms, but typically, this means that they come with some sort of straw mechanism, locking mouth opening in the lid of the mug, or a number of other innovations.
Also, keep in mind that spills increase the chance of injury for seniors due to slips and falls or bending over to clean up the spill.
The coffee mug should also have good insulation features so that the coffee (or cold drink) stays nice and warm for hours to come. Some elderly folks take a little longer to finish their coffee, so you’ll want to make sure it stays toasty during this time.
Look for double-wall vacuum insulation in particular. This means there’s two layers of insulation – one that keeps the drink steady at the ideal temperature, and another that keeps the outside room temperature so you don’t burn your hand when you pick it up.
Which brings me to my next point – your coffee mug should have large handles. Two handled coffee mugs might also be a good option. Older adults may have trouble picking up regular coffee mugs, so make sure you get them an easy grip coffee mug that has secure grip handles.
And of course – Weight
Along those lines, the coffee mug shouldn’t be too heavy either. It won’t be any use to them if they don’t even have the strength to pick it up! Look for lightweight, but high-quality materials. Try to stay away from plastic if you can. If hot liquids (like coffee) come in contact with plastic, it can release some nasty chemicals into your drink.
Recommended Home Coffee Mugs
Maddak Tan Hand To Hand Mug
- Lightweight plastic mug has the look and feel of a sturdy ceramic mug
- Double-wall design insulates the hands from heat and cold while retaining the temperature
- Holds up tp 10 ounces (295 ml) of liquid
- Top rack dishwasher and microwave safe
- Replacement lids (74572-0002) are available for purchase
This mug is perfect for everyday use for a senior who loves their coffee. It’s very lightweight, at only 6.4 ounces, but it can hold 10 ounces of fluid. It also only measures 6 by 4 by 4 inches, so it’s perfectly handheld. The double-wall insulation keeps your drinks warm and your hands cool for hours on end.
The large handle is one of the best parts of this mug, as you can easily fit any size hand into or around it. The construction of the outside of the cup itself is also made with a secure grip in mind, as it has a zig-zagging pattern to allow for extra grip from the hand that isn’t using the handle. It’s also microwave and dishwasher safe, although it should go on the top rack of the dishwasher.
JoyJolt Serene Double Walled Glasses Insulated Coffee Mug
$18.95 in stock
- Set of 2 double wall glass coffee tea mugs holding 7.4 ounces each. Will keep liquid hot or cold for a longer period of time while the outer glass cup remains safe to touch
- Top quality insulated glasses made of hand blown borosilicate-glass. Perfect for morning coffee, latte, tea, cappuccino, espresso, expresso, brew, hot, or cold beverages.
- The double wall glass cup with handle are designed in also keep your hands cool with hot drinks and free of condensation with chilled glassware beverages.
- The coffee/Tea mug are absolute design with a Smooth finish, crystal clear, beautiful addition to any cafe, restaurant, definitely to your own home
- Buy with confidence - 1-year Warranty Simple return if not happy Microwave, Dishwasher, Oven and Freezer safe (up to 350°F are save; not for use with metal utensils)
I really like the look of these mugs, They take the idea of the double-wall insulation to the next level with perfectly smooth, clear glass layers. You can see your milk or cream beautifully swirl into your coffee every morning! And you also get that added benefit of temperature retention with a cool to the touch outer layer.
These mugs are also very lightweight, and have a large handle for secure use by older seniors. They’re dishwasher, microwave, oven, and even freezer safe as well! I wish they had a bit more security features, like the rigged design of the mugs above, but these are simply beautiful and will work great for any senior at home.
Recommended Travel Coffee Mugs
Sammons Preston Insulated Mug with Spouted Lid
- Polypropylene mug with an easy-to-grasp handle for individuals with limited grasp or weak grip and a spouted lid to make drinking easier when laying
- Insulated travel mug with secure lid can hold up to 12 ounces of either hot or cold liquid beverages, including coffee and tea
- Ergonomic lid helps regulate flow for convenience and easier drinking for handicapped, elderly, or disabled individuals
- Insulated cup holds consistent temperature of hot or cold liquids, such as coffee, tea, water, shakes, and smoothies
- Dishwasher safe to 180°f, not microwave safe, bpa free, phthalates free, and non latex
Now, if you’re looking for travel coffee mugs (maybe they take their coffee along to senior club or church every morning), check out this insulated mug with a no spill lid from Sammons Preston. It can hold up to 12 ounces of liquid, but it’s very lightweight and has an ergonomic handle designed for people with a weak grip.
In terms of the lid, it comes with 3 different types to accommodate any needs your senior may have. One of them is a straw-like spout so that they don’t have to tip the cup to get their coffee. The other two require tipping of the cup, but still have no-spill features in place. The mug is also insulated to keep the coffee warm for hours.
Contigo AUTOSEAL Randolph Vacuum-Insulated Handled Travel Mug
$18.90 in stock
2 used from $ 14.25
- Our Lids Are Sealed - AUTOSEAL technology is leak and spill proof (Yes, there is a difference!)
- For the Long Haul - Drinks stay hot up to 4 hours and cold up to 12 hours with THERMALOCK Vacuum Insulation
- Squeaky Clean - Easy clean lid completely opens for an extra squeaky clean with no separate parts to take apart or misplace
- Lend a Hand - Easy one-handed drinking with the push of a button
- Righty or Lefty - Thoughtfully engineered drink spouts on both sides of the lid make this the perfect mug for both left - and right-handed users
Finally, the Contigo autoseal vacuum insulated travel mug is a great option for really anyone looking for a high-quality coffee mug, but it has a few key features that make it especially useful for seniors. First, it has incredible no spill and no leak technology that features an easy to push button to open up the mouth seal, take a sip, and release the button when you’re done to seal the lid back up. It also has a very large handle with a secure grip. The handle is actually ambidextrous as well, so you can use it whether you’re a righty or a lefty.
In terms of insulation, hot drinks stay hot up to 4 hours and cold drinks stay cool for up to 12 hours. The mug also has a dishwasher-safe lid, although you do have to hand wash the body of the mug. It can hold 16 ounces of fluid, and while I do wish it was a little lighter, it’s a very high-quality coffee mug.
Summary and Final Thoughts
Seniors should be able to enjoy their coffee just as much as anyone else. Finding easy to use coffee makers is an important consideration also. If you look for lightweight, easy to grip, no-spill coffee mugs with great insulation, you’ll find exactly what you need.
Having the right coffee mug can also be important to senior safety. Other specialty flatware, plates, and utensils are important to consider as well. For other drinks, check out these sippy cups for adults.
Hopefully, you found my reviews and suggestions useful, but if you have any other tips, please share below! If this was helpful, please share this on your favorite social media!