Is your senior loved one in a nursing home? Do they spend a lot of time in and out of hospitals? Are they currently bed-ridden and unable to move around? Well, as you take care of them, you need to make sure they are warm enough.
That’s where open back gowns for elderly people come in handy. Here is what you need to know about open back gowns for elderly people and why you should invest in them immediately.
What Are Open Back Gowns For The Elderly?
As the name suggests, open back gowns are adaptive clothing for seniors that open down at the back. They have zippers, Velcro closures, or snaps to make it easier to dress or undress effortlessly. They come in handy for many reasons, such as the following:
- They give an elderly person their independence when it comes to dressing because they can easily zip up or close their gowns effortlessly.
- The caregiver has an easy time dressing or undressing an elderly person without struggling.
- These open back gowns have snap closures at the shoulder, thereby preventing any unnecessary pressure at the back.
How Are Open Back Gowns Used To Care For Elderly People?
Dressing and grooming can be tough for elderly people, especially those suffering from various ailments or confined to a wheelchair. Well, here are some of the best ways to take care of elderly people using open back gowns.
- Since they are easy to remove, it’s easy to help your elderly loved one undress when they are going to bed or in the morning when they have to attend to other activities.
- If your elderly loved one has a hard time lifting hands over their head, these open back gowns allow them to dress without necessarily moving their hands.
- If your senior loved one has a disability and gets dressed in their wheelchair, they can easily dress or undress without any issues, thanks to open back gowns.
- Open back gowns also allow senior citizens to enjoy independence and dignity when it comes to dressing and undressing without any worries.
- As a caregiver, you will have an easier time taking care of an elderly loved one. There will be no hassles when it comes to dressing or undressing them since open back gowns are effortless.
- Finally, if the elderly person suffers from incontinence or other issues, it’s easy to mess themselves. If they don’t wear adult diapers, it’s easy enough to remove their open back gowns and clean them properly without stressing them when it comes to dressing up again.
What Types Of Open Backed Gowns Are Available For The Elderly?
As previously mentioned, open-backed gowns come in different varieties. These include the following.
- Velcro Closures – These are located on the shoulders, so it’s easy to snap the gown back on and off depending on the various needs.
- Snaps – Open-backed gowns may also have snaps at the shoulders or the back, making them easier to dress and undress as necessary.
- Zippers – Open-backed gowns may also have zippers that make them easier to zip up and down as required without any hassles.
An alternative to open back gowns are open back shirts for elderly people who may be sensitive about being in their gown all day.
What Are The Best Open Back Gowns For Elderly People?
If you are shopping for the best open-backed gowns for elderly people, here are some of the best ones to get started.
1. Elsa Adaptive Nightgown
It’s perfect for senior citizens with limited arm mobility or a restricted range of motion. It comes with snap closures on the shoulders to remove any pressure from the back.
It has a full back overlap and the best design details to make it look like normal clothes. It is made out of quality stretch fabrics to ensure comfort.
2. Dignity Pajamas Open Back Nightgown For Women
It is perfect for elderly people who are dependent on wheelchairs or are bedridden. It comes with a full back overlap and Velcro closures at each shoulder to make it easier to dress or undress.
It has a beautiful soft lace detailing, thereby preserving a dignified appearance. It’s perfect for caregivers because it minimizes discomfort when changing the patient.
3. Silverts Open Back Nightgown
It is perfect for the elderly or senior citizens with limited mobility. It secures at the shoulders and comes with a full back overlap. It is designed with a soft fabric, especially for people with soft skin. It is machine washable and doesn’t need ironing.
It’s perfect for caregivers attending to the elderly since it can be easily removed or worn without the elderly person losing their complete independence.
4. Ovidis Open Back Nightshirt For Men
If your elderly loved one has a constrained range of motion or limited arm mobility, this is a perfect nightshirt for them. Dressing and wearing clothes is simple and pain-free.
With snap closures at the shoulders, caregivers can have an easy time dressing their patients without any cumbersome pressure at the back.
It comes with a full back overlap to make it look like a normal nightshirt. It’s easy to wear and take care of since it’s made out of quality fabrics without the need for ironing or machine-washing.
5. Personal Touch Women’s Adaptive Flannel Gown
If you are looking for the best adaptive clothing for your elderly loved ones, this is a perfect flannel gown to try out. It is made out of quality fabrics and flannel, so it’s easy to wear and take care of it.
It is warm and comfortable for cold nights. It also snaps at the shoulder to ensure the best comfort and easy dressing. It also comes with a roomy ¾ length sleeve to ensure extra warmth in your loved one’s arms.
6. Gownies Designer Hospital Gowns
It’s a perfect gown for the elderly because it is made out of cotton, thereby making it warm and comfortable, regardless of how long it is worn.
It is made up of the best designs to ensure the most dignified appearance even when wearing it. The gown is made out of snap closures, making it perfect for easy access during a medical examination.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Do You Put An Open Back Gown On An Elderly Person?
If you are a caregiver for an elderly person with limited mobility, open back gowns are perfect. You simply need to open up the gown and put it on the elderly person without necessarily moving them.
Next, once the gown is perfectly in place, you can snap it in place using the snap closures. With such reduced interference, your loved one will appreciate pain-free dressing. Even better, they should be able to put it on their own without any disturbances.
2. Why Do Hospital Gowns Open In The Back?
Hospital gowns open in the back to allow easy medical access. If they are too tight at the front, it would be hard to pass through the necessary medical equipment.
Even better, if someone needs injections in the back, these gowns make it easier to access the area without necessarily undressing.
As your elderly loved one is living their last years, you need to make sure they are comfortable and dignified. Make sure you guarantee their independence in their old age by dressing them in these and many more open-backed gowns.
They are easy to wear and remove without necessarily making it a painful process. Even better, as a caregiver, you will be proud of them for achieving such a small task on their own without any hassles. Take care of your loved ones by making sure they are comfortable in their clothes.