Elderly people often have a difficult time using modern telephones because they are much smaller and they come equipped with advanced features that are often quite confusing for the older generation. If you have an elderly person in your life, such as a grandparent or parent, you might want to purchase a senior-friendly telephone that is easy to use.
Because there are plenty of options available, check out this list of some of the best telephones for elderly people to use when they want to make calls or answer the phone. You need to learn more about the features of these phones to determine if they are worth purchasing for your senior relative.
Top Simple Telephones for Elderly People
Future Call FC-1507 Big Button Phone
The Future Call FC-1507 is a great phone for the elderly because of the size of the numbers that are displayed on it. The buttons are easy to see and press when an elderly person is making calls. The sound is adjustable for those that are hard of hearing and primarily dependent on hearing aids.
The only downfall to this telephone is that it is not cordless, but that may not be such a big problem. Most elderly people do prefer sitting while talking on the phone instead of moving around because they do not want to lose their balance or risk tripping over something that could cause them to fall and get hurt.
- The telephone may be placed on a desk or mounted against the wall
- Buttons on the phone are large and easy to see
- Red emergency button calls 911 with the press of a button
- The light blinks when the phone is ringing to make it even more noticeable
- Speed dial settings available
- Ideal for those with hearing/vision issues due to the amplified sound provided
- The phone is not cordless
HePesTer P-02 Amplified Large Button Corded Phone
Much like the previous option, this phone is not cordless. While it is not cordless, it does come with the simple and essential features that seniors prefer to have in a phone that they will use to call their relatives and others, including the doctor’s office.
- Amplified volume for the hard of hearing
- Speed dial memory options available to make it easier for the elderly to contact their relatives
- Comes with a redial button and a hold button
- Has a speakerphone answering option for times when seniors do not feel like holding the phone in their hands
- The phone is not cordless
Future Call FC-1007 Picture Care Phone
What sets this phone apart from some of the other elderly-friendly phones is that seniors can have pictures added to specific buttons to make it easier for them to remember who to call. It is normal for seniors to start forgetting things more often.
If an elderly person is forgetting a lot of things, he or she may fail to remember the phone number of someone they wish to call, such as their child, grandchild, or even a family friend. By having pictures added to the phone, seniors can press on the picture to call the specific person that they would like to speak to.
- Easily place a photo of each person on a number button for speed dial purposes
- Adjustable ringer settings to make the ringer as loud as needed
- Bright red 911 button that calls emergency personnel when pressed
- Large buttons that are noticeable, even to those with vision problems
- Convenient redial and flash buttons included
- The phone is corded
VTech SN5127 Amplified Cordless Senior Phone
1 used from $52.76
While the VTech SN5127 telephone does cost more than the other options, it provides the elderly with the convenience of multitasking while on the phone because it is not corded. Aside from not having a cord, the phone comes with features that would come in handy for the elderly while making it a lot easier for them to get in contact with their loved ones when they need to do so.
- Seniors can move around with the phone from one room to the next
- Photo dial feature makes it easy for the elderly to quickly call their closest loved ones
- Loud ringer that goes off each time someone calls
- Block feature allows seniors to avoid unwanted spam calls
- Audio adjustment button increases the volume and sound quality
- The cost of the telephone is slightly more than the others
Rotary Design Retro Landline Phone for Home, French Blue
3 used from $29.02
What makes the Wild and Woof Rotary Design phone such a great home phone choice for seniors is the nostalgic appearance that it has. Although it will remind seniors of the phones they used back in the day, it does not come equipped with nearly as many convenient features as some of the other telephones that are designed with the elderly in mind. However, it can come in handy as a spare phone.
- Offers that traditional look and feel that many seniors prefer
- Provides volume control settings for those that need to adjust the volume to hear better
- Push buttons stand out and are easy to use
- The buttons attached to the phone are not as larger as some other options and may be difficult for some elderly people to see as well
- Does not come equipped with nearly as many convenient features for the elderly
Summary and Final Comments
When you need to choose a simple telephone for the elderly, these are some of the top choices that are worth checking out. You should pay attention to the different features and select a senior-friendly telephone that you believe the special person in your life will have no problem using when making or receiving calls.
Although the cost of these phones will vary, none are too expensive and many of the options on this list will cost you less than $40. Because seniors often struggle with hearing and seeing clearly, it makes sense to provide them with phones that cater to their needs with larger buttons, amplified sounds, and other useful features.
Do you know of other simple telephones for the elderly that you recommend? Tell me about them in the comments below!