Disabled adults often have a hard time finding the coordination to drink from a regular cup without spilling. Any number of conditions or illnesses could cause this issue, whether it be a physical disability or a mental one. The dexterity needed to drink a cup of water is actually quite complicated, although we take it for granted.
Once that ability is lost, it can be a devastating blow to one’s confidence. That’s why solutions, like sippy cups, or rather “no spill” cups, are so important to a disabled person’s lifestyle.
Why Would Adults Use a “Sippy Cup”
It might seem strange, as a child or caretaker of someone with this issue, to offer them a sippy cup, a product usually reserved for developing toddlers. But the basic concept of a sippy cup can be greatly beneficial to their lifestyle, and give them much more confidence and independence in terms of drinking on their own. They prevent spills, make drinking much easier (especially if they come with a straw), and often are much easier to hold than regular cups.
Best Sippy Cups for Adults
Independence 2-Handle Plastic Mug
- 3-Pack of Independence 2-Handle Clear Mugs - Each cup includes 2 style lids.
- Crystal clear construction allows the contents to be seen at all times.
- Use with warm or cold liquid - Dishwasher and Microwave safe.
- Made in the U.S.A. (BPA/Phthalate/Latex-Free).
A top-rated no-spill cup is the Independence plastic mug with 2 handles. The 2 lids allow for maximum versatility and added stability when bringing the mug to your mouth. If one hand isn’t working quite right, it’s easy to use the other to add support, or just use the other hand on its own.
Additionally, this mug comes with 2 different style lids. One of them has a regular spout, and the other has anti-splash capabilities if that’s a concern for you. Both are compatible with straws, which can add even more security and no-spill guarantees. The mug is also built with clear plastic construction, which is less likely to break than glass but still allows you to see your drink and how much is left, and a wide extended base beyond the bottom of the container itself, which makes it less likely to spill or tip over.
This mug holds about 10 ounces of fluid, and the purchase comes with 3 mugs that you can use interchangeably. They’re dishwasher safe, which is incredibly convenient for any household and also microwave safe for warm drinks. These mugs are BPA free, phthalate free, and latex free as well so you can be sure that no contaminants are getting into your drink.
The only drawback I can see with these mugs is that they take a good amount of strength to take the lid off, so the disabled person themselves may not be able to do this on their own. However, this also adds to the no-spill properties of the mug, so it’s not all bad.
Maddak Flo-Trol Convalescent Feeding Cup
- Permits dribble-free drinking without the need to sit up or raise the head
- Placing a finger over the vent hole in the cap controls the flow of liquid
- Design reduces the amount of spilled liquid should a mishap occur
- Graduated at 4, 6 and 8 oz. levels
- Dishwasher and autoclave safe
Ableware’s sippy cup is a bestseller in adult no-spill drinking cups on Amazon. This is due to its dribble free features. To use it, you’ll need to place a finger over the vent hole in the top of the lid to control the flow of liquid. For someone with a physical disability, this may be difficult, but it does provide quite a lot of control if that motion and coordination is something you can handle.
This mug is also considerably more affordable than others, at about half the price of the one listed above. It’s dishwasher safe, and compatible with straws as well if that extra spill prevention is something you’ll want. The lid fits very tightly but is easier to take off than the above-mentioned lid. It’s built with plastic, which is sturdy but also lightweight and easy to handle for someone with a disability. The major drawback here, aside from the vent hole mechanism, is the lack of handles, which come in very handy for disabled people.
Munchkin Miracle Stainless Steel 360 Sippy Cup
2 used from $13.60
- Premium insulated, vacuum sealed stainless steel cup keeps drinks cool for 15 hours
- Dentist recommended spotless 360 Degree degree drinking edge eliminates spills completely
- Includes on-the-go cup lid
- Cup automatically seals when child stops drinking
- Top rack dishwasher safe and easy to clean with no extra valves or parts
This sippy cup is sold as a children’s product, but the design and aesthetic of it is sleek enough with stainless steel construction for adult use as well. Aside from the stainless steel, it also comes with different colored tops (either blue, green, or pink) to add a little fun to any disabled person’s daily life.
The stainless steel construction of this cup means that it’s insulated incredibly well, with vacuum seal technology that keeps drinks either cool or warm for up to about 12 hours. It’s top rack dishwasher safe and very easy to clean with no small valves or parts to get into.
In terms of its spill protection, this design is genius for anyone struggling with that issue. The top colored lids of this cup automatically open when they come in contact with the mouth, and seal back up instantly when the person stops drinking. It’s also 360 degrees, so it doesn’t matter where the user picks up the cup or where he/she places their mouth. The lid works the same in any position. Aside from this genius construction, the issue is that there is no spout or straw option, and no handles as well, so if you need those features, this isn’t the choice for you.
Sammons Preston Small Cup with Built-in Straw, 13 oz. Sippy Cup
$8.28 in stock
- Small drinking cup with spill prevention lid and built in straw on the side for easy consumption of liquids
- Colorful 13 oz. sippy cup with crazy straw on side that doubles as a handle
- To prevent air ingestion, the straw has access to liquid at the bottom of cup and is easy to suck through
- Built-in straw design works well for adults and children who need to drink using a straw and allows for more convenient cleaning and storage
- Comes in random assorted colors, BPA and Phthalates Free
This is another versatile product for people of any age. It holds 13 ounces of fluid, and is constructed with a fun built-in “crazy straw” design that also doubles as a handle. This eliminates the need to constantly buy disposable straws, and also ensures a no-spill design because the cup does not need to be tilted in order to drink out of it. The straw takes liquid up from the bottom of the cup, which also prevents air ingestion.
The cup is BPA and phthalate free, however, it is hand wash only, which can be a drawback for some users. It also needs to only be held upright, or the liquid will leak out of the top of the straw. Other than that, this is a great option for any disabled person struggling with drinking.
Insulated Travel Coffee Thermal Mug
$19.97 in stock
1 used from $14.20
- ⚡ LONG LASTING TEMPERATURE KEEPING – 30 ounce (900 ml) vacuum-insulated construction doesn’t condensate, keeping beverages hot or cold for hours
- ⚡ DURABLE CONSTRUCTION – Made of thick and solid 18/8 stainless steel
- ⚡ HEALTHY – BPA Free lid, FDA approved manufacturing
- ⚡ STAINLESS STEEL STRAW + SILICONE TIP – Wide diameter of 8mm. New silicone tip makes it teeth friendly and more safe. Especially convenient for drinking while driving. Cleaning brush is added to keep the straw clean
- ⚡ FREE BONUS – Chill Cups cork coaster for your perfect experience
Finally, if you’re going somewhere and want to take a drink along with you, your disability shouldn’t hold you back. Check out Chill Cups insulated travel mug that works for hot or cold drinks. It holds 20 ounces of your drink, more than any other on the list, and with the double-walled vacuum insulated design, it keeps drinks at your desired temperature for hours on end without any messy condensation. It has a conveniently attachable handle for added control, and comes with a wide stainless steel reusable straw with a silicone tip to make it gentler on teeth or sensitive mouths, and a cleaning brush specially made for this extra.
In terms of spill-proofing, the lid fits tightly into the cup with silicone insulation to prevent spills that way, the top sliding closure easily keeps the mouth of the cup securely closed when you’re not drinking out of it. It’s BPA free, FDA approved, and dishwasher safe. It doesn’t seem like you can go wrong with this purchase! You can even use it at home for everyday use – it doesn’t just have to be for travel, although it’s constructed with that purpose in mind.
Summary and Final Recommendations
From my research, it seems like either the independence mugs or the chill cups are the best options to prevent spills for disabled adults. They’re well-constructed and come with all the features you’d need like handles, straw capability, and spill-proof lids. Check them out on Amazon for pricing options, and gain back your independence and confidence today!