As people age, they may lose teeth and this will make it difficult for them to chew the foods that they would normally eat. Since this can occur from getting older or acquiring various ailments, there are many people that do not have the ability to eat normal foods.
They will need to eat foods that are soft so that they are able to swallow them and digest them too.
Foods For The Elderly With No Teeth
Without teeth, many elderly people need to eat soft foods. This will help them in swallowing foods and also in protecting the gums from injury while they are eating.
Here is a list of foods that people without teeth can consume in an easy fashion:
- Macaroni and Cheese – Mac and Cheese is a favorite for many people and it can have chopped meats and vegetables in it. Since the Mac and Cheese can be flavored, it’s a great way to fill up.
- Soups – There are all types of soups to choose from. People will love that they can find all different flavors or make their own from scratch.
- Applesauce – Applesauce can be flavored too. People may also find other fruit sauces that they like.
- Mashed Potatoes – Mashed potatoes are the easiest type of potato for people without teeth to eat but they can also eat baked potatoes without skins, scalloped potatoes, and hash browns for a variety.
- Pureed Foods – Many firmer foods can be cooked and pureed to make them soft and easy to eat. Check out my guide to making pureed food for seniors here.
- Steamed Soft Vegetables – Steaming vegetables will make them soft. People without teeth can choose from any vegetable but it’s important to make sure that they are soft enough for them.
- Fish – All types of fish are great foods. It can be flavored and baked, fried or steamed.
- Meats – Pureed meats are great for people without teeth. Corned Beef Hash is something that many people love.
Chicken that is cut up into tiny pieces is also very good. Chinese meals work well.
- Fruits – Bananas and other soft fruits like Kiwi are good for people without teeth. Some people can also eat berries, melons, grapes, and more types of fruit.
- Scrambled Eggs – People love scrambled eggs that do not have teeth. They can also eat an omelet with finely chopped added ingredients like onions, olives, and more.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal is easy and quick. It comes in a variety of flavors and is another favorite for breakfast meals.
High-Calorie Soft Foods for Elderly People
There are plenty of high-calorie foods that elderly people will want to have for their use. They can usually stock up on these types of foods so that they will get the proper nutrition that they need.
- Energy Drinks – Elderly people may wish to get their calories from energy drinks. These are made specifically to include the vitamins and minerals that will keep them healthy as well as provide a good calorie intake too.
- Smoothies – By creating smoothies, people can use just about any food to condense into a swallowable format. Smoothies are great for fruits, vegetables, meats, and more that are high in calories and great tasting too.
- Baby Foods – There are many baby foods to choose from on the market. People will find that there are coupons available for purchasing them and saving money. Since a variety of foods that are available in baby food are soft, they do not need to worry about preparing them differently.
Soft Snacks for Elderly People
People love to have snack foods. Not only do they taste good but they fill up their stomach between meals. Here is a list of snack foods that people without teeth will enjoy:
- Pudding – People will find a great selection in puddings. They come in all different flavors and they are tasty.
- Jello – Jello is another favorite snack item for people without teeth. They will find that there are all types of jellos to choose from and they can include all types of cut-up fruits too.
- Soft Cakes – There are many different cakes to choose from. People will find that they should avoid nuts in the cakes unless they are chopped up very fine. Otherwise, there is a variety to pick from and they will love all the choices that they are.
- Ice Cream and Sherbet – Just like cakes, ice cream is a great snack food for people without teeth. They should look into all types of flavorful toppings that will tantalize their taste buds.
Summary and Final Words
Making sure that people eat well is important and with the tips above, the elderly people with no teeth will find that they will be able to eat a lot of foods that will make them happy and keep them healthy. Getting older is what everyone must do and they will find that they will still love to eat.
Tell me your other ideas for soft foods for elderly people in the comments below!