Riding outside can be a fun and healthy activity enjoyed by just about everyone. For a senior, however, what was once an enjoyable activity can become difficult due to the failing balance and strength, which is why an intervention is necessary.
A three wheel bike for seniors is the intervention you need. It can help you start enjoying cycling once again. Three-wheeled bikes, which are also known as trikes, are an excellent option for older adults that love cycling, particularly those with concerns about their stamina or balance.
So, here are my recommended 3 wheeled bikes and my review for each model.
What Are the Best Three Wheel Bikes for Seniors?
The BodyEase Tricycle is an excellent option for seniors because it eliminates all balance concerns and allows the body to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. The trike provides a smooth ride and absorbs bumps so that the body does not need to.
This is a 7-speed trike that has additional gears for hill climbing and covering greater distances more easily and has both front and rear handbrakes that allow for easier and more precise stopping. It fitsmost riders from 5 feet to 6 feet, 2 inches in height with a cushioned saddle and foam grip handlebars to ensure optimal comfort.
You’ll also get a basket for storing almost anything you wish to bring with you.
The BodyEase Tricycle also features an attractive step-through frame that allows for effortless dismounting. It also features an ergonomic frame that keeps you in a relaxed, upright position while riding that reduces strain on the back, shoulders, hips, and knees while you are out pedalling the roads. The stainless steel spokes add a greak look to the bike as well.
- The quality of manufacturing is excellent
- It is easy to ride
- It allows for easy assembly
- The rear basket has enough room to store a lot of things.
- It can only be used by people weighing 300 pounds or less
- It is somewhat expensive compared to other similar models.
The EVRYjourney electric tricycle is what every senior need to get back riding again. It is powered by a 36V, 10.4Ah battery and a 250W front hub drive motor that allows the trike to reach a maximum speed of 20MPH. You can ride the e-trike for 15 to 30 miles on a single charge.
Bike riders with poor leg strength can get back biking with an electric three wheeled bike like this one.
This one features a 17” aluminum alloy frame for maximum strength and a 250-Watt front hub motor capable of achieving speeds of up to 20mph! But don’t worry, the speed is controlled with a thumb throttle on the left handlebar. Also for control, It has an LCD performance display with power meter, battery meter, and speedometer.
The battery is located conveniently behind the seat tube, so that you can easily get on the step-through frame. The EVRYjourney also features a large-sized rear basket that you can use for carrying whatever comes to mind.
It supports users weighing up to 300 lbs.
- It has a massive storage basket
- It is available in beautiful colors and designs
- It has a comfortable dual-spring saddle
- It has a 7-speed derailleur by Shimano.
- The range could be slightly better
- It is expensive.
The Schwinn Meridian full-size adult trike is one of the most popular trikes for seniors that provides a comfortable journey in your area or around the city. However, it isn’t designed for difficult terrain but rather riding on relatively flat surfaces.
The Schwinn Meridian comes in 1-, 3-, 7-Speeds, and an electric option. For acomfortable ride, t has a large spring cruiser-style seat with quick release height adjustability and 26-inch wheels that provide a comfortable ride for users 5’ 4” to 6’2” in height.
Linear-pull brakes ensure smooth and intuitive stopping. Plus there is a convenient folding rear basket for safely storing whatever you may need.
The Meridian’s aluminum frame has a low stand-over height that makes it easy to get on an off. It also comes in a wide range of colors. It allows users to sit upright with the adjustable handlebars. The back-folding basket provides a lot of space for packages. The trike also has a wider saddle for improved comfort.
- It comes in a wide range of colors
- The 26-inch wheels and spokes provide the necessary stability when cornering
- The aluminum frame is relatively lightweight
- It comes with fenders and a large, foldable rear storage basket
- Assembly can be somewhat challenging for a new users.
- The trike’s laid-back seat position can make it less comfortable to ride for long distances.
Mantis is a relatively unknown brand in the world of trikes, but it still offers decent alternatives to the bikes from established brands and the Tri-Rad Adult Tricycle is a perfect example of that. It has aluminum rims, a sturdier frame, and better graphics and rides and feels great.
The Mantis Tri-Rad is an excellent option for people that want a comfortable ride. Its low-cut frame as well as parking brake allow for easy mounting and dismounting.
This three wheel bike has a front V-brake with parking brake, and a single speed, one-piece crank (the 24 inch model has a 6 speed Shimano gearset).
The folding steel frame with steel suspension fork allows for easier storage while the large spring seat provides a comfortable platform for riding. Speaking of comfort, it also comes with nice, large seat for maximum comfort where it matters.
- It has a low-cut frame that makes it easy to get on or off
- The folding frame allows for convenient storage and transportation
- It has a rear basket that’s great for transporting laundry or groceries
- It is easy to balance and accelerate, especially for seniors
- Assembly instructions are not very clear
- The saddle doesn’t offer back support
The Mobo Triton Pro Ultimate Three-Wheeled Cruiser is an excellent way to elevate your riding experience if you are no longer able to effectively ride on two wheels. It has dual-joystick steering, a low, rugged chassis and innovative rear-wheel steering system.
The Mobo Triton Pro Ultimate Cruiser is a great option for leisure rides, exercise, or even a quick trip to the store. The ergonomic seat provides evenly cushioned back support and additional support to let you ride safely for longer.
Fot a comfortable fit, it easily adjusts for riders who are 4’2” to 6’3” and who weigh up to 250 lbs. The reclined seat provides even support for seniors that prefer a more stable and comfortable ride
The dual joystick steering allows for smooth maneuverability. The low center of gravity offers impressive additional stability.
- It is a highly durable trike
- It requires minimal maintenance
- The innovative steering allows for easy maneuverability
- It can support tall and heavy users
- Riders cannot pedal backwards
- It cannot handle hills.
Slsy is a brand that stands out from the competition when it comes to performance. You can expect a stable trike with a shopping basket on the back whether you choose the 20, 24, or 26-inch version. The handlebars fit rider’s hands seamlessly while the adjustable seat has a padded backrest for maximum comfort.
This adult three wheel bike offers a a 7-speed derailleur that offers more fun when riding with a choice of 20/24/26-inch wheel diameters all with full wrap fenders. For smoother stopping, it uses a rim brake system.
The soft padded seat also has a backrest for maximum comfort plus it comes with a large-capacity basket for carrying supplies.
- It has a low step-through that makes it easier to get on or off
- It has smooth-rolling wheels
- It has a durable steel frame
- It is easy to assemble and maintain
- Brakes can be difficult to adjust
- It is not easy to install the derailleur
Guide to Buying the Best 3-Wheel Bikes for Seniors
The best 3-wheel bike for seniors is one that suits your physical condition, needs, and budget. Here are some of the most important features to look for when buying a 3-wheel bike for seniors:
- Step-Through Design: It allows for easier mounting and dismounting
- Lightweight Frame: The bike shouldn’t be too heavy so that it is easier to store and ride
- Accessories: The bike should come with useful extras, which include reflectors, luggage baskets, etc.
- Comfort Options: Look for a large wide cushioned seat and padded handlebars that are easy for your hands to grip,
- Braking Options: Three wheeled bikes usually have pedal brakes like a traditional bicycle but you can always get one with hand brakes if you are unable to use foot brakes
- Parts Availability: 3-wheel bikes use standard bicycle components, but you need to ensure that you can get your trike fixed if something breaks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Is Riding a 3-Wheel Bicycle Good Exercise?
Riding a 3 wheel bicycle is an excellent workout for getting your hear rate up. Trikes are a great way for seniors to exercise without putting too much stress on the knee. Riding a trike is also great for building stamina and strength while still being a low-impact activity.
Are Trikes Safer Than Bikes?
Trikes offer a degree of safety that regular 2-wheel bikes don’t provide. The adult trike has a properly balanced center of gravity that plays a critical role in preventing falls. Trikes are made sturdy and robust thus mostly durable and safe compared to regular bikes.
What Is the Best Bike for an Older Person?
A trike is a much better option for an older person than a regular bike since it is much easier to use. It is usually lower in height, which makes it ideal for seniors who may not have the best balance and is a great option for an older person with special needs that might be unable to get around in another method.
When it comes to specific models, any of the 6 featured here can be the best option for an older person since they offer the best value for the money. They are high-quality cycles that are built to last and are a comfortable and practical option for most potential users.
Three wheeled bikes for seniors provide safe, versatile transportation for the elderly and help them lead independent lives in spite of their advanced years.
Besides allowing seniors to freely run their daily errands, they provide an excellent cardio workout.
The market offers numerous options for seniors to choose from depending on their preference, needs, and budget.