- Reviews: Toenail Clippers for Elderly and Senior Citizens
- Buying Guide: Key Features When Shopping for Toenail Clippers
- Why do Seniors Need Specialized Nail Clippers?
- EXTRA: Tips for Seniors on Taking Good Care of Feet
- Summary and Conclusion
Old age restricts many elderly people from being able to do simple activities of daily living which we tend to take for granted in our young days. One such activity is personal grooming and hygiene, specifically in terms of clipping toenails.
In their advanced years, many seniors find it difficult to handle small tools like toenail clippers in their hands and fingers due to arthritis or lack of coordination. It also becomes difficult for them to bend over to reach their toenails properly as they get older.
However, there are many special toenail clippers that are now available which the elderly can easily use for taking care of their personal foot hygiene. In this post, we will learn more about buying toenail clippers for the elderly for safe, independent foot care.
Reviews: Toenail Clippers for Elderly and Senior Citizens
There are quite a few tools available which cater to the specific needs of the elderly in terms of foot care and nail clippers, specifically. It is quite obvious that any clippers marketed for the elderly population should be easy to hold and use, while also reducing the chances of any injury or general discomfort.
Here are a few of the toenail clippers I recommend for use by the elderly.
Maddak Pistol Grip Remote Toe Nail Clipper
$75.64 in stock
- Extend your reach to your feet
- Trigger action provides increased leverage
- Clip toenails with ease
- Right or left hand use
- Comes with a one year limited warranty
For seniors who take care of their own feet, but may not be able to bend over entirely and perform the motion needed to properly clip their toenails, clippers with long handles solve this problem. This particular pair provides great leverage and control over the clipper part, with a simple to operate trigger maneuver. You can also use this with your right or left hand, whichever is more comfortable for you.
Rotary Nail Clipper
- Nail trimming is easy again!
- Say goodbye to awkward twisting and painful handling while cutting your fingernails or toenails.
- Ergonomic trimmer with stainless steel blades has wide, easy-grip handles with smooth swivel action allowing you to find the optimal angle for cutting.
- Perfect for those with arthritis and limited dexterity.
- 3.5" long.
These nail trimmers are ergonomically shaped with a cutting head that turns toward the nail. This creates a more natural cutting position. Instead of the senior having to manipulate their arms and shoulders to get the right cutting angle, the trimmers themselves adjust. Large handle allows the full palm to control the clippers. Another good choice for those with arthritis or poor hand dexterity.
Happy Healthy Smart | Long Handle Toenail Scissor
$12.99 in stock
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED: 8 ¼” extra long handled toenail scissors that are easy to use for women and men of all shapes and sizes.
- STAINLESS STEEL: Made with high grade stainless steel, these nail scissors with the purple tight grip handle and angled blade provides maximum comfort and gets the job done on the first snip!
- MAXIMUM CONTROL: These stainless steel nail scissors, with a purple, tight grip handle and angled blade, provide the most amount of control and comfort possible!
- LESS STRESS: With the extended handle design, you’ll have a much easier time trimming your nails without the need to be hunched over and cramped up.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We know that the craftsmanship on these scissors is a cut above the rest. You’ll never want to use anything else to trim your nails.
Longer handled clippers like these are good for seniors and elderly who have trouble bending over to reach their feet due to arthritis in the hips or back, poor flexibility, and loss of balance. This style of toenail clipper is recommended for thick, small, ingrown and other types of nails.
The Original Soft Grip Toenail Clippers by Fox Medical
$14.95 in stock
- CUT WITH EASE: Are you sick of struggling with thick, hard or ingrown nails? Our toenail clippers incorporate several unique features specifically designed to easily cut the toughest nails. No more expensive trips to the podiatrist!
- HAND-HONED BLADE: Unlike our competitors, we finish the edge of our blades by hand. Not only are they razor sharp, they stay sharper longer. This, combined with the carefully designed curved blade, results in an amazing nail cutting experience.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Effortlessly trim even the toughest nails or your money back! We proudly offer a lifetime replacement policy. If you are ever unhappy with your clippers in any way, simply contact us. We promise to make it right within 24 hours.
- ERGONOMIC GRIP DESIGN: Wouldn’t you appreciate a tool that allows you to effortlessly maintain your nails without discomfort? Our professional toenail nippers utilize a proprietary soft-grip handle to maximize grip and comfort even while wet.
- MEDICAL GRADE: We at Fox Medical Equipment insist on surgical grade stainless steel in all our nail care products. We offer a full line of nail nippers, fingernail clippers, cuticle scissors, ingrown toenail lifter tools and clinical grade cutters.
These clippers are a great choice for thick, tough toenails. They are designed to give the user more leverage to easily trim hard to cut nails. The handle has a soft grip and works more like scissors which may be easier for some seniors. Made of durable stainless steel and includes a tip cover to reduce the chance of accidental injury.
EasyComforts EZ Grip Nail Clippers
$4.66 in stock
- Keep nails in salon Condition
- Unique ultra-sharp EZ grip clippers
- Won't slip's slide like ordinary clippers
These clippers feature loops on the ends like a pair of scissors. This lets the senior use their entire hand to control the clippers instead of just their fingertips. Helpful for people with arthritis in the fingers. Folds for easy storage and travel.
Podiatrist Toenail Clippers，Professional Ingrown or Thick Toe Nail Clippers for Men & Seniors ，Toe Clippers Podiatrist Tool Pedicure Clippers Toenail Cutters Nipper Precision Diabetic Toenail Clipper
- 【New Curved Blade Design】- Toe nail clippers for men are designed with a curved blade that conforms to the shape of our nails or toenails. The curved blade avoids injury when cutting nails and relieves pain caused by nail problems. Whether you cut your fingernails or toenails, podiatrist toenail clippers can easily cut your nails. Thick Toenail Clippers For Men Will Be Our Best Tool For Cutting Toenails.
- 【Sharp & Durable】- Professional toenail clippers are made of high quality surgical grade stainless steel for rust and durability. Podiatrist tools are very sharp and can cut off any rough edges without pain. The sharp mens toenail clippers help you precisely cut thick toenails or ingrown toenails. The Ingrown Toenail Tools Are Professional Tailoring Tools Manufactured To High Standards.
- 【Comfortable Grip】- Toe Nail Clippers use an ergonomic handle for comfort, firm grip and easy cutting. The anti-slip material coating on the surface of the toenail clippers for thick toenails prevent accidents when the nail is cut. The pedicure clippers with a double spring gives us a better grip and a longer life. The Toenail Cutters With A Comfortable Grip Gives You More Confidence In Them.
- 【Designed for Thick Nails】- The large toe nail clippers make it easy to cut nails of all sizes. The toenail clippers for thick nails for seniors are perfect for nail problems caused by fungi, diabetes, paronychia, aging and other health problems. The professional ingrown toenail clippers can assist with fungal treatment as needed. Podiatrist Tools Will Be A Good Helper For Every Thick Nail Friend.
- 【Lifetime Warranty】- We pride ourselves on the quality of heavy duty toenail clippers and provide a lifetime warranty for every customer who purchases a toenail Nipper. If you are not satisfied with the precision toenail clippers, please feel free to email us. Our US After-Sales Team Will Give You The Most Satisfactory Response Within 24 Hours.
These clippers are designed for people with thick, ingrown toenails but who also have limited hand strength. The larger handles are covered in soft foam to help the senior maintain their grip. They also give them more leverage and control while trimming the nails. Includes a lifter to help reach the ingrown part of the nail. This one is a good choice for people with arthritis or limited hand strength.
Buying Guide: Key Features When Shopping for Toenail Clippers
When choosing toenail clippers for senior citizens, it is important to keep in mind some very basic points regarding the design of these tools and how they work. Then, choose the best toenail clippers that match your needs. Consider the following questions before making a selection:
- Are the clippers sturdy enough for ease of use, without needing to apply too much pressure?
- Are the handles ergonomic and long enough to allow easy use without the need for bending over?
- Do they have long enough handles with a soft grip, to allow easy handling?
- Do the clippers have a wide jaw to cut thicker nails?
- Is there a safety tip cover for the protection from accidental pokes and cuts?
- Do the clippers have a cover to catch clipped nails?
- What material are they made of? Are they prone to rust or corrosion?
Answering questions like these will help you find the best toenail clippers for the senior in your life, and give you peace of mind with your final decision.
Why do Seniors Need Specialized Nail Clippers?
Taking good care of the feet is very important, especially for the elderly people. Aging feet suffer from many problems, including poor circulation for example. Other conditions like dry skin cause bigger issues such as constant irritation, surface pain, and even infection. One of the key aspects of proper foot care is ensuring that the toenails are clipped regularly and safely. However, many elderly people find this to be one of the hardest tasks to perform, as they cannot easily bend. Other reasons why it becomes difficult for seniors to take care of their own feet include the following:
- the toenails become thick and hard or dry and brittle, making them difficult to cut, as it takes a lot of strength
- trouble bending the body in such a way that they can reach the toes
- inability to grasp the clippers in the hand properly or securely
- deformed or misshapen toes due to arthritis or other issues
In most cases, elderly people continue to use the same ordinary nail clippers they have been using their whole lives, often without even realizing that even a small cut or a nick could result in a painful and troublesome infection. For these reasons, elderly people must carefully trim their toenails and should use specially designed tools to take care of their foot care, which they may not even know about yet.
EXTRA: Tips for Seniors on Taking Good Care of Feet
Maintaining the hygiene of your feet can be a daunting task for many seniors, mostly because this area harbors so many issues and it’s difficult to access. However, foot care should be at the top of a senior’s hygiene care list, as inadequate care of minor issues can eventually lead to bigger troubles. Diabetics especially have to be very diligent with their foot care for specified reasons. Here are some simple tips for proper foot care for the elderly:
1. Clip Nails After a Warm Bath
Try clipping toenails after a bath or after soaking them in warm water, as this will soften your toenails and make them easier to cut. It will also ensure that they’re clean and free of any potential irritants like dirt or grime, which can be pushed farther into the nail bed by nail clippers.
2. Inspect Feet Frequently
Keep checking on your feet on a regular basis to ensure that there are no unusual sores or scrapes on them. This type of issue can be exasperated easily if not treated right away, so regular inspection is very important, especially for elderly people. If you cannot check them regularly, ask for help from your family or professional caregivers.
3. Ensure Your Feet Stay Dry and Nourished
After a bath, make sure that you have dried your feet completely. Any leftover moisture can lead to fungus and infections, so making sure that your feet, and nails especially, are completely dry can prevent these issues. Wear clean, dry and breathable socks at all times, and especially after a shower or bath. Also, consider wearing a foot moisturizer to keep your nails from splitting or cracking, which can be painful. This will allow them to stay nourished and comfortable, without the potential dangers of keeping them wet.
4. Cut Your Toenails Regularly
Trim your nails on a regular basis to ensure that any debris doesn’t get trapped below them. Be careful when clipping nails to ensure that you don’t cut or nick the skin around your nails accidentally. You may need assistance from caregivers for this task depending on your needs.
Summary and Conclusion
Caring properly for the feet is an important part of an elderly person’s care. It is important to have the right tools for the job as well, especially for seniors who do their own foot care. Using the right toenail clippers for the elderly will reduce the chance of injury, and will also enhance their general comfort levels. This is why a high quality toenail clipper is such an important part of a senior’s hygiene regimen.
Do you have any experience taking care of a senior’s feet? Please share your experience below with any tips I missed, or best practices you’ve found helpful. Questions are also always welcome!