Often the first time you notice that your hearing is getting worse is when you are watching TV. Over time, the TV volume gets louder and louder just so you can hear it.
Sometimes, it gets so loud that it bothers the people you live with. Or, maybve the volume is so loud that the TV speakers distort the sound or even rattle!
There are devices that can help you enjoy watching your favorite shows again! Here are the best TV headphones for elderly seniors that let yo hear the TV better without disturbing the people you live with.
Best Wireless Headphones for TV Listening
These are my top picks for TV headphones for seniors who have trouble hearing their TV. You’ll find wireless and wired option here along with earbud and over the ear style. You can read my buying guide below to learn the pros and cons of each type.
Sennheiser SET840 -TV RF Stereo TV Assistive Listening Headphones System
$227.95 in stock
2 used from $149.95
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Wireless radio frequency system with transmitter and receiver (earphones) provide mobility within a range of up to 100 feet; even transmits even through walls
- Three selectable hearing settings on the transmitter to optimize speech. Ideal for plasma TVs
- TV connection cable with two 3.5 mm stereo jack plugs and one adapter to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) jack socket
- NOTE: Refer the User Manual from the Technical Specification before use which is highly recommended
Ok, for those who want a higher end solution and can afford the very best, these Sennheiser headphones are probably the best out there. You will pay more for this unit but there are tons of raving fans online about this item.
It has many of the features that I like in the other items. It is easy to set-up and is plug and play. The headphones are wireless and are charged by placing them in the base. They have a range of up to 100 feet and the signal is transmitted by RF. Also, they use the usual connection methods.
There are a few areas where the Sennheiser stands out specifically. First, you can custom tune the amplifier with three selectable hearing settings that are designed to optimize conversation and speech from the TV audio. This helps fine tune them so they work better for you.
The headphones themselves are very lightweight and extremely comfortable to wear. They have these flexible ear pads that move with you and keep them from cutting into the ear. The controls are located right on the headset too for easy volume control.
There aren’t many drawbacks to these except that they will not work with hearing aids because they sit in the ear. And, like I said before, they are one of the higher priced solutions.
Clarity TL100 Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Sound Amplifying Headphones
1 used from $139.99
- Wireless TV Amplifier - Hear the TV clearly without disturbing others
- Voice prompts alert you to incoming phone calls, battery, and connection status
- Clarity Home Car Charging Kit for newer iPad, iPhone, Android & Blackberry Devices
- Pairs with Bluetooth-enabled phone or tablet, so you can take calls and/or listen to music
- OpenMic button lets you hear your surroundings without removing headphones.
If you need a set of headphones for your TV that are hearing aid compatible, I like these by Clarity. Users report that these lightweight headphones are comfortable to wear and easy to use. These sit just on the surface of the ear so they are less likely to block other sounds like the phone ringing or the doorbell.
These work via Bluetooth connection. If your TV is not Bluetooth equipped, this model comes with a transmitter you can plug into the TV using RCA jacks or a headphone cable. You can also sync these headphones with 2 devices at the same time. So, you could also sync them with a cell phone so that calls will ring into the headphones while watching TV. This could prevent missed calls!
The headphones themselves have rechargeable batteries and the unit comes with 2 sets of power cords. One is for the base and the other is for the headphone. There is no charging dock like the other models. It has to be plugged in.
I also like the OpenMic function. This is a button on the side of the headphones that you can press to mute the headphones. It allows the user to hear what’s going on around them without having to take the headrests all the way off. The volume can also be controlled by a knob on the left earpiece for quick volume adjustments.
SIMOLIO Wireless TV Headsets, TV Hearing Devices
$79.99 in stock
- √ WIRELESS HEADPHONES FOR TV WATCHING - ONLY work with TVs/TV boxes that equipped with RCA/3.5mm AUX Audio Outputs. See Figure 3 for ref. For smart TVs with only digital optical audio output, we suggest to buy the digital model SM-823D/SM-824D1/SM-825D. For dual headsets, pls refer to model SM-824D2 or SM-8245. Still not sure your TV connectivity? pls send us the jack panel of your TV, we are always ready to recommend the most suitable SIMOLIO unit for you.
- √ ADVANCED 2.4GHZ FHSS TECH,NO PAIRING OR DELAY, LONG DISTANCE TRANSMISSION - Wireless headphones for TV with 2.4GHz automatic FHSS tech promises superior sound reproduction and its strong signal can go through ceilings or walls, you can even walk around in your home to listen. The effective distance up to 100 feet. No need pairing, no lip-sync delay, no need sitting in front of the transmitter at a certain position, no interruption when people passing by.
- √ CUSTOMIZE THE SOUND TO BEST FIT YOURSELF - People who have different sound frequency sensitiveness can select TONE(Treble/Normal/Bass) to find the optimum parameters, and hear the target audio source clearly. The balance control allows for right/left volume adjustment to hear equally well with both ears. You can switch to STEREO for enjoying Hi-Fi sound quality music or select MONO for enjoying more clear TV dialogues.
- √ BUILT-IN RECHARGEABLE & REPLACEABLE LI-BATTERY AND BY-PASS FUNCTION - One full charge supports 5-7 hours continuously working depending on working condition, such as volume setting. The MIC button is designed as an unique by-pass function. Press the MIC to turn to personal sound amplifier mode to hear what people are talking to you nearby without taking off the wireless tv headset or wearing your hearing aid.
- √ WIRELESS TV EAR - BUDS WITH IMPRESSIVE DURABILITY AND FLEXIBILITY, CONSIDERATE DESIGN - it incorporates "memory stainless steel strips" at the headphone arms for adjusting to more comfortable shape. Super-soft and body-heat activated memory foam eartips and decompression hanger loops make you feel much more relaxing. NOTE: This wireless tv hearing assisted headphone are not available for pacemaker carrier.
A less costly option that is a little better rated by the buyers at Amazon are these headphones by Similio. They are similar in styling to the TV Ears in that they are in-ear stethoscope headphones.
Set-up for these is easy too. One small note: be sure you know how you are going to connect these before ordering. This is because you have to order an analog or digital model. Analog is for headphone jack or RCA jack connections. Digital is for the Optical audio out connection. But, as long as you order the correct item, this is a plug and play type of item. No syncing or pairing is required.
These headphones are wireless and the signal is transmitted via RF (radio frequency) which gives the best range. The range on these is about 100 feet away from the base. That’s enough of a range for them to work in the next room or in large rooms too.
The headset is powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery. To charge the battery, simply place the headset on top of the base and it will go into charging mode. They will last about 7 hours with continual use.
Another cool feature of these headphones is they have a MIC button that allows them to be used as a Personal Sound Amplifier (PSA). This allows the user to use the headphones to amplify conversations in the room and other ambient sounds.
Volume and mute are controlled through the headphones and TV can be enjoyed with others or alone.
ARTISTE Wireless TV Headphones Over Ear Headsets
$73.99 in stock
11 used from $58.00
- [BREAKTHROUGH 2.4GHZ RF TECHNOLOGY] 2.4GHz RF means stronger penetrability, further wireless range, steadier signal transmission and lower distortion. Allow you to listen to music while walking around in your home without skip or interruption. Triple the wireless range than the traditional Bluetooth headphone (33ft) to 100ft!
- [BRILLIANT SOUND QUALITY] Enjoy Hi-Fi stereo sound without compromise. Artiste TV Headphone streaming amazing crystal clear sound with a frequency response of 25Hz - 20kHz. Digital signal guarantees you the extra bass and crisp treble performance without distortion. Distortion: 0.5%
- [COMPATIBILITY BEYOND YOUR IMAGINE] Be compatible with Tablet / iPads / Laptop / Cellphone / Radio / CD and MP3 players / TV sets and Computers. The package come with a RCA Cable and 6.3mm Adapter for easy access to all kinds of audio device.
- [COMFORTABLE THAN EVER] Adjustable soft-padded headband and Over-Ear ear pads designed to provide maximum comfort. Full-sealed ear pads effectively reduce the sound leakage to return a sweet dream to your families while you can watch TV intently.
- [OUTSTANDING BATTERY PERFORMANCE ] Support continuous working for 20 hours with one full charge. Artiste TV Headphone is a way more powerful than those Bluetooth headphones only support 7~8 hours of working time. Free yourself from charging the headphone every day!
For a good basic set of headphones for watching TV or even listening to music on your favorite CD player. I recommend these headphones from Artiste. They are the over the ear style which are sometimes more comfortable to wear. Keep in mind the drawbacks though that I discussed above.
Like most of the products I’ve reviewed here, these are easy to set up. Just plug into your audio out (RCA jack or headphone jack), charge them up all the way, and then put them on. The band is adjustable to customize the fit. They also work with computers, MP3 players, cell phones and iPads too.
Speaking of charging, the transmitter that plugs into the TV doubles as the charging station. When the user is done using them, they simply set them back in the base so that they will be charged for next use.
They also use radio frequency for transmission and have a range of up to 100 feet.
One potential drawback is that the TV volume must be adjusted with the TV remote. These headphones do not have their own individual volume control. Because of these, they are probably best for seniors who watch TV alone.
They are also not hearing aid compatible and will cause ringing and squealing if worn with them. If you need a model to work with your hearing aids, keep scrolling.
TV Ears Digital Wireless Headset System
15 used from $64.58
- Works On any TV.Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Digital connectivity with Dolby, SRS, and PCM compatibility
- Max SPL-120 dB
- Audio frequency response is 20 - 20,000 Hz
- US Based Customer Service - Contact us at 1-888-883-3277
You may have seen the TV Ears commercials on late night TV in the past. These TV listening earphones are made specifically for improving TV hearing. They use a proprietary Voice Clarifying Circuitry that adjusts itself to make dialog easier to hear and understand. It also decreases the volume of loud background noise.
TV Ears are probably the best headphones for people with pacemakers. These use infrared (IR) technology which is safer than radio frequency (RF) for pacemakers. There are some drawbacks to IR though. The range is less meaning you can’t go as far away from the TV. You will also need to stay within the line of sight of the transmitter.
These are simple to set-up and use. This model comes with both analog and digital audio cords so you can use a wide range of connections for it. Like most of the others, simply plug it in, charge the headphones, and turn it on. It’s that easy. Volume can be adjusted right on the headphones too.
Reviews are somewhat mixed though. People either seem to love them or hate them. There are multiple complaints about them breaking so I wouldn’t use them with anyone who is rough on their equipment.
So, why did I include them on this list? Because they have been so heavily advertised that people ask about them. I also wanted to include an option for seniors with pacemakers.
Buying Guide: Choosing the Best TV Headphones for the Elderly
Use the information below to help you make an educated decision when shopping for TV headphones.
Different Types of Headphones
Headphones come in three basic styles:
How TV Headphones and Earbuds Help Seniors
These TV listening devices have a transmitter that plugs into the audio out ports of your TV. Then, it sends the sound through wires or wirelessly to a pair of headphones.
TV headphones are beneficial because you enjoy better sound because they are close to the ears.
When comparing them to other helpful TV listening devices, headphones have some distinct advantages:
There are some drawbacks to that you should be aware of also:
Summary and Final Recommendations
I hope this guide to the best TV headphones for elderly people and seniors has been helpful. My own grandmother struggled with this and devices like this were a lifesaver at times!
Choose the style that the wearer finds most comfortable and helps them hear the TV better. Take into account hearing aid use and the TV connections available on their TV to make sure your choice is compatible.
Do you have other recommended was to make the TV easier to hear for seniors and the elderly? Tell me about them in the comments below!