There are many different varieties of medical alert device but some of the most popular ones are worn as watches. If you are concerned about your senior loved one falling when he/she is alone, a health monitoring/medical alert watch can give you great peace of mind. The system can put your senior loved one in touch with a dispatcher that can either summon an ambulance or contact a family member to help.
Medical alert devices, however, are a dime a dozen and it can be hard to choose the right one for your needs. Health monitoring/medical alert systems worn as watches are ideal for seniors since many offer a variety of features such as heart rate monitoring, GPS location tracking, and more.
The Top 5 Medical Alert Watches for Seniors & the Elderly
Freedom Guardian Life Saving Medical Alert System by Medical GuardianTM - GPS Location Tracking, Emergency Button, 24/7 Monitoring for Seniors, Nationwide AT&T Cellular Coverage (1 Month Free) (White)
$99.95 in stock
- Two Way Communication - With a clear, built-in speaker, the Freedom Guardian allows you to speak directly to our 24/7 emergency and non-emergency monitoring center. This mobile medic alert system works off the detection of AT&T nationwide cellular network. Ensure there is AT&T connection in your area before purchase. AT&T service is included with your purchase and you don’t need a landline
- GPS Location Tracking - Freedom Guardian is GPS-enabled medical alert system and offers you unlimited wireless protection wherever you are in the U.S where there is AT&T cellular service. If you suffer a fall or just need help, simply press the emergency button on your medical alert device bracelet, and you’ll be connected to one of our trained, emergency operators at our Medical Guardian monitoring center. If you’re unable to respond our GPS-enabled device will help us find your location
- Reminders, Alerts, & 3-day Forecast - Keep track of your daily calendar with real-time alerts for medication, appointments and even important social events on your medical alert watch. You can also stay up to date on the 3-day localized weather forecast directly through your Freedom Guardian smartwatch
- Text-to-speech Messaging - Stay connected to friends and family through the text-to-speech messaging on your device. The two-way speaker allows you to easily receive and verbally respond to messages from your Care Circle with your classic medic alert system
- 1 Free Month Of Service - Activation of service required prior to use! Call to activate - service plans start at only $49.95 per month. You never have to worry about hidden charges, signing a contract, the service is free to activate, and you will only be charged a monthly subscription fee
The Freedom Guardian by Medical Guardian looks and wears like a regular watch. It has an easy to read analog watch face as well as a variety of features and features Wi-Fi tracking, GPS, fast response times, calendar, and reminder alerts. It also easy to use, comes with a companion app, text-to-speech messaging, and is comfortable too.
The Freedom Guardian is an excellent health monitoring/medical alert watch for seniors that are active and independent. This health watch offers a variety of features that are geared specifically towards seniors such as quick access to emergency services and oversized icons.
It is important to know a few things about the Freedom Guardian before you head out to buy one. The battery charge lasts about 48 hours, depending on how it is used and it isn’t equipped with a fall detection feature. So, if you consider such things important, you might want to consider a different option.
GreatCall Lively Wearable Fitness Tracker with Exclusive Urgent Response
- Fitness tracker tracks steps every day and syncs with your existing smartphone via Bluetooth
- A one-touch help button alerts GreatCall’s 5Star Agents that call back and will provide timely assistance in any situation
- No contracts and no cancellation fees. Flat service of just $14.99/month
- GreatCall Link app connects with family, keeping everyone updated about your health and safety, while supporting independence
- Fall Detection function when worn with the lanyard around the neck
The GreatCall Lively Wearable is a great device that allows seniors to stay safe while on the go. It is essentially an emergency alert button that seniors can wear as a watch. It works with smartphones, which means that seniors can get help whenever they need it. When the emergency 1-touch button is pressed, it connects the senior directly with GreatCall’s agents that can either send help or notify family members immediately.
The GreatCall Lively Wearable includes free automatic fall detection, a replacement battery, and fitness tracking. It is waterproof, which means that it can eb worn virtually anywhere. It also has precise GPS tracking that allows emergency responders to know the exact location of a senior in case of an emergency. The only major downside to the device is that it cannot be used with older cell phones.
RELATED GUIDE: Easiest Smartphones for Seniors
Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS, 40mm) - Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band
- Always-On Retina display
- 30% larger screen
- ECG app
The Apple Watch Series 5 is not only one of the best smartwatches around but also an excellent medical alert watch. Apple is a brand that’s synonymous with producing some of the best technology the world has ever seen and the Apple Watch isn’t an exception. The Apple Watch Series 5 comes equipped with a variety of features that make it great for everyday use.
The Apple Watch might not be specifically designed as a health monitoring device, but it can be used as one. It has an emergency SOS features that can help seniors to connect easily with emergency responders, caregivers, or family members in case of an emergency. The Emergency SOS sends the current location of a senior to emergency responders.
The Apple Watch monitors the health of a senior using a variety of tools such as heart rate monitor and fitness tracker. It also includes an ECG app that generates ECG graph that’s similar to those produced in emergency rooms. All these impressive features can provide peace of mind for active seniors and their family members and can help emergency responders in case of emergencies.
CallToU Caregiver Pager Wireless Smart Call Button, Nurse Calling Alert Vibration for Elderly/Patient/Disable at Home 1 Receiver Wrist Pager 2 Pendant/Portable/Fixed SOS Call Buttons 500+Feet
$65.99 in stock
- 1 Wrist Pagers and 2 Call Buttons, the Idea is for Both Caregiver and Patient/Elderly/Resident/Handicapped/Sick Freedom while Still calling for Help at home. Not need to Yell to Get Someone’s Attention.
- SMART CAREGIVER ALERT: Vibration or Audible Prompt for choice. Wake Up the Night Shift Caregiver Only, And not wakeup/disturb the others.
- Transmitter/Push Call Button is Waterproof. Acceptable for Meal/Soup Splash. And Allow to be Installed in the Washing Room.
- Transmitter/Push Call Button is Easy Carry. It can Be Put in Pocket. Or Hang on neck as Pendant. Neck Strap included. Fixed in Bedside/Washing Room. The Fixed Bracket and Double sticker are included
- Both Pager/receiver and Call button are powered by Built-in battery. Pager battery are Rechargeable. Standby time about 3 days. DC 12V 23A Call button battery. Standby time about 1 years
The CallToU Caregiver Wireless Smart Call Button is ideal for caregivers that take care of seniors either in nursing homes or at home. Just one call is all it takes for a caregiver to contact multiple receivers at ones. It has an impressive operation range i.e. over 500 feet. The push call buttons are easy to carry since they can be put in the pocket or worn on the neck.
The wrist pager and call buttons are both powered by built-in batteries. The pager has a rechargeable battery with a standby time of up to 3 days while the call button has a standby time of 1 year. The alert prompt is both vibration and audio, which means that your senior loved one can still use it if he/she has difficulty seeing or hearing.
Wireless Caregiver Pager Vibration Softly Sound Alert System Nurse Call Help Buttons for Elderly Patient Disable at Home (1 Watch +10 Buttons)
- SMART CAREGIVER ALERT: Vibration or Audible Prompt for choice. Wake Up the Night Shift Caregiver Only, And not wake up the others.
- LONG RANGE: the Range Between Wrist Pager and Button is up to 500ft in Open Area. Practical distance depends.
- LONG STANDBY TIME: Wrist Pager Standby Time Up to 3 days.The Button Standby time Up to 6-12 Month.
- EASY CARRY: Wrist Pager is wearable and portable. Or Small Enough to put it in pocket.call button is waterproof,big SOS key is Convenience to elder by hanging on the neck.
- CONVENIENCE BUTTON: It is Waterproof, Big SOS Key is Easy and simple for patient. Button can be fixed mounted on the wall or on the medical table (No need to install, just sticky, simple and convenient )or just hanging neck. Depends on your requirement.
The first thing you need to know about the device is that it technically isn’t a smartwatch. It is actually intended for caregivers as opposed to regular consumers. So, if you aren’t a caregiver, you might consider skipping this device entirely. It is only included here since it is still a watch and provides some excellent medical alert functionality.
The Daytech Wireless Caregiver Pager comes with a very unique case compared to the rest of the devices featured here. The idea behind it is that if a patient is in need, he/she can press any of the buttons located around his/her home and this will alert a caregiver through the watch that they require assistance.
Depending on the number off buttons you need, there are several different packages and buttons can actually be purchased separately should the need for more arise at a later date. For instance, such as when a caregiver takes on more patients. It makes the product incredibly versatile since caregivers don’t need to buy a whole new device simply to get additional buttons.
Two different alert options are available with the Daytech Wireless Caregiver Pager i.e. an audio alert and a vibration alert. It is quite a simple feature, but can be incredibly useful for caregivers who are on-call in the middle of the night and wouldn’t wish to wake up their partners with loud audio alerts in case someone requires assistance.
The Daytech Wireless Caregiver Pager isn’t a consumer-grade smartwatch, but it does what it is designed to do well. If you are a caregiver, it can be an excellent device for your consideration since it shows how technology can be used in a simple way to help people in need.
Health monitoring and medical alert systems and devices are a life-saver. They offer security and ensure the safety of seniors while giving family members and caregivers peace of mind. If you are thinking of the perfect gift for your aged parents or their caregivers then the devices featured here are perfect.
To ensure that you get the most out of the devices featured here, ensure that you only choose devices with features that are not only functional, but also suit your senior loved one’s condition. If you opt for a monitored device, it is important to consider the service provider.
Do you know of another medical alert watch that I haven’t covered? Tell me about it in the comments below!