Gardening is a great pastime for seniors. Tending to a garden with a wide variety of plants during warm months gives them great outdoor exposure, fresh air, and important nutrients from the sun. It also gives them a great sense of accomplishment when they can finally harvest their crops or see their flowers/plants grow. It’s a perfect hobby for people of any age, but especially for seniors who are looking for an outdoor hobby but don’t like to go far from home.
Does the senior in your life have a green thumb? Check out some of these awesome gardening stools you can get them to really enhance their gardening experience. Gardening stools provide a lot of support, and relieve a great deal of arthritic knee and back pain that can come with hunching over crops for hours.
Best Gardening Stool for Seniors
There are all kinds of gardening stools, from rollers to seats to foldable kneeler/chair combinations. Here is my overall best pick. Read on for more options to consider.
TomCare Upgraded Garden Kneeler Seat Widen Soft Kneeling Pad Garden Tools Stools Garden Bench with 2 Large Tool Pouches Outdoor Foldable Sturdy Gardening Tools for Gardeners, Green
1 used from $30.93
- Widened comfortable kneeling pad: This garden kneeler is upgraded, the kneeling pad is widened in order to fit more person and make you feel more comfortable for long periods of time.
- Two large tool pouches: no worries about too much tools when gardening, this garden stool is equipped 2 large tool pouches. Each pouch is detachable and it has 4 large pockets to hold your gardening tools.
- Multifunctional gardening tool: when unfold this garden kneeler Seat, you can kneel on the soft pad which keeps your knees away form ground and reduces aches, or simply flip it over to use it as an very comfy chair.
- Sturdy & lightweight: The whole structure is made of solid steel, which is durable enough to hold up to 330 lbs. Also it is lightweight and portable, so it is easy for your to carry It anywhere!
- Perfect Gift & : This nice garden kneeler will be a perfect gardening gift for men and women gardeners alike. We will provide 45 days Money Back and 12 Months . Purchase with worry free!
This one is one of my favorite picks even though it has a similar design. It has an oversized contoured comfort seat, which also acts as an oversized, comfortable knee pad.
At the front of the model, there is a rocker function, similar to the rocking seat, to give your knees and hips some movement while keeping you stable and allowing you to easily reach far away plants or areas.
The handles on this kneeler/seat are also softly cushioned, which is important when getting up from your knees. This feature puts much less pressure on seniors’ wrists and hands. It comes in either green or blue to match your outdoor style as well!
Pure Garden 75-MJ2011 20" Plastic Garden Storage Cart & Scooter
1 used from $22.18
- Storage Area and Removable Tool Tray, Lid Makes for a Sturdy Seat
- 2 inch Wide Wheels to Navigate Surfaces, Supports up to 220 lbs, Materials: Polypropylene
- Dimensions: Overall: Length: 10 inches, Width: 21.5 inches, Height: 11.5 inches
- Tool Tray: Length: 8.75 inches, Width: 14 inches, Height:1.5 inches
- Storage Area: Length: 8 inches, Width: 15.5 inches, Height: 7.5 inches
It may look a little childish, but the Suncast Garden Scooter is actually one of the the highest rated garden stool on Amazon and a best seller. It’s straightforward and easy to use, as a mobile 2 in 1 gardening seat and storage area. This gives you easy access to your tools while gardening, while giving you the comfort of a foam cushioned seat. Plus two cup holders!
The seat is removable and doubles as a garden kneeler for the times you need to work a little closer to the ground. The handy strap makes it easy to pull the cart behind you without having to carry it from spot to spot. There is plenty of storage for your tools in the inside bin.
The sturdy resin wheels are great for outdoor maneuvering even in wet dirt. And has a sturdy double wall construction, although it looks a bit flimsy. It’s perfect for seniors because of its versatility, all-in-one function, and great seat that would relieve pressure on knees, but still allow them to roll around to different parts of their garden without issue.
Pure Garden Garden Cart Rolling Scooter with Seat and Tool Tray for Weeding, Gardening, and Outdoor Lawn Care- for Adults and Kids
$38.59 in stock
- Multi USE- This rolling scooter is ideal for any gardening enthusiast to alleviate back and knee pain when planting or weeding. In addition, this rolling cart can be used for other tasks around the Home like painting, cleaning, car repair, more!
- EASILY TRANSPORTS- This rolling scooter features sturdy plastic wheels that are 3” in diameter and can roll forwards and backwards on most level terrains. The lightweight materials also make it easy to lift and carry this scooter to the next project!
- DURABLE MATERIALS- The durable plastic construction of the 4 wheels gives an advantage over rubber tires, which could pop under pressure or puncture. The stainless-steel structure is built to last through all climate conditions, whether rain or shine!
- Keep organized- the specially designed tool tray underneath the seat conveniently keeps small garden or household tools within reach. This strategically placed shelf is the perfect area to store gloves, spades, planting shovels, garden shears, and more!
- PRODUCT DETAILS- Seat Dimensions: 11” x 11. 5”. Full Dimensions: 13” (H) x 18. 5” (L) x 17. 5” (W). Tool tray dimensions: 16” x 12”. Weight limit: 200 lbs. Material: PVC plastic and stainless steel. Colors: Black and green.
For a slightly more industrial rolling seat, check out Pure Garden’s rolling seat scooter. Instead of a storage case, it comes with a 12” by 16” tool tray to store your gardening tools and give you easy access to whatever you may need.
It’s heavier than the Sungarden scooter, and not necessarily as portable, but it still gives you great mobility with 3” wide, sturdy wheels and sits you higher off of the ground (13”). It’s also cheaper than the hopper, even though it’s slightly more sturdy.
Either rolling garden stool is great for seniors who want mobility and relief on their backs and knees.
Vertex Garden Rocker Original Comfort Seat with Height Adjustable Contoured Comfort Seat with Cushion -Made in USA - Model GB1221-S
- MOVES WITH YOUR BODY: The garden rocker gardening seat with GB1208 Cushion and cover features a patented contoured rocking base to work with you while you are weeding, planting or just perform chores and utility tasks around the home.
- COMFORT: The height adjustable contoured comfort seat with a foam cushion and cover helps support your body while you twist and turn, making it an essential tool for every day gardeners, professional landscapers and trade professionals.
- BACK & BODY SOLUTION: A true multi-purpose utility seat that reduces strain on knees and back to reduce stretching during any project where sitting or kneeling is required in a project. When used while kneeling, the Garden Rocker gardeners tool helps you reach while providing stability to your upper body.
- MULTI-USE: More than just a garden tool stool, as the Garden Rocker works excellent as an auto detailing seat, mechanics chair, painting stool, crafts, pet care and any other project where working low is required.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & DURABLE: Weighing just over 3lb while supporting up to 220 lbs, the Garden Rocker is the ultimate gardeners’ tool while you weed, plant, cultivate or are just getting your garden project rolling!
This gardening seat is perfect for seniors for many reasons. It has a comfortable seat with a contoured cushion, and the contoured “U” design provides maximum back and hip support, as well as comfort. You can easily adjust the height of this seat to your unique desired height.
What makes this seat unique is its rocking function, which may initially seem unstable and not great for a senior, but it actually gives you a lot of mobility, and is better on hips and knees than a standard stool because it allows the muscles and joints to move around fairly often while working in the garden.
Finnhomy F08YGG9T7196 10 Piece All-in-One, White
1 used from $34.25
- PERFECT GIFTS FOR YOUR PARENTS, FRIENDS OR HONEY: All-in-one design is perfect for home gardening. Including 1 heavy duty steel foldable stool, 1 tote bag, 1 pair of nitrile coated working gloves (latex free), 1 pruning shears, 1 kneeling pad and 1 set of 5 pk tool set with beech wood handles for home gardening.
- Sturdy heavy foldable Stool: heavy duty metal frame and durable canvas seat pad. A safety strap at the bottom frame to Ensure the sitting safe.
- Multi-use storage tool bag: 1 large main compartment with 18 side pockets for tool access and classifications. The bag is detachable from the stool, It is washable and portable.
- COMPLETE DURABLE TOOL SET: Ideal for kinds of home gardening works. Such as pruning, digging, weeding, transplanting, branches, loosening soil and more. A nitrile gloves included (latex free) to protect your hands from getting hurt.
- MEASUREMENT: Opened size: 13 x 15. 35 x 13 inch, closing size: 15. 5x 18. 5x3. 5 inch, it’s easy for transportation and storage. Foam Kneeling Pad: 11. 4''*5. 51''*0. 71''.
This all in one tool is perfect for any senior who is just getting into gardening. It gives you literally everything and anything you’d need in a garden of any size, including a tote bag, 5 chrome steel tools, a pair of pruning shears, a pair of work gloves, and a foam kneeling pad. Best of all, it all fits inside a foldable, portable canvas stool with a heavy duty metal frame.
It has 1 large compartment underneath the stool to house all of your tools and easily access them, and also has side pockets to house them as well, if you’d rather. The versatility of this gardening stool is unmatched, and it’s great for seniors who want it all.
Gardening Kneeler/Chair Combinations
Ohuhu Garden Kneeler and Seat with 2 Bonus Tool Pouches
- ✿ HAPPY KNEES: This handy garden kneeler features an elevated kneeling pad that reduces aches from prolonged kneeling, and keeps your knees away from the muddy ground and grass
- ✿ KNEELING PAD & GARDEN CHAIR: Flips over to become a garden chair so you can tend to your long-stemmed plants and bigger shrubs in complete comfort (weight capacity: 330.69lbs/150kg)
- ✿ FOLDS EASILY: Comes assembled, and opens and closes in a quick snap so you can get down to your gardening as soon as the sun comes up
- ✿ STURDY AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Constructed with a steel frame and EVA for added toughness that takes any garden mishap, and plastic for grandmother-approved lifting
- ✿ TWO COMPLEMENTARY GARDENING TOOL POUCHES: Attach them to this garden chair with Velcro, and have your clippers, pullers and spades right by your side
These two-in-one seat and kneelers are also perfect for seniors because they can work on their knees if they feel the need to, but can take a break, simply flip it upside down, and use it as a seated stool when they need to.
This particular combination product is great because it’s incredibly lightweight and easy to flip, but can easily hold 300lbs. It has a steel frame and rigid construction, and also comes with 3 tool pouches on each side for easy access to what you need while working.
Garden Tools with Ergonomic Handles
Radius Garden, NRGSET, NRGSET Ergonomic Garden Hand Tool Set , Original Green
- This award-winning garden bundle includes an ergonomic trowel, transplanter, weeder, and cultivator.
- Ultra-lightweight, die-cast aluminum blades are stronger than Steel and will never rust.
- Patented ergonomic natural radius grip provides extra leverage, reducing hand and wrist stress. Made from a comfortable non-latex, thermoplastic elastomer and polypropylene.
- Member tested and recommended by the National home gardening club. Featured in arthritis today magazine, the American gardener, fine gardening, HGTV, Mother earth news, the today show, country woman, and house & garden.
Ergonomically designed garden tools are another great idea for seniors. Mainly because they are easier to grip and hold. This is very helpful if you have arthritis or general weakness in your hands. But, they offer other benefits as well.
With the design of some of the handles on these tools, there is less strain on the wrist and arm. They’re also easier to use because they compensate for general weakness. This handy benefit reduces the strain on your entire body while performing difficult tasks.
This set of ergonomic garden tools reduces stress on hands and wrists. The cushioned curved handles also give extra leverage to keep hands from tiring quickly. It comes in several different colors plus 4 piece and 5 piece sets. Individual pieces are also available. Check it out here.
Summary and Final Thoughts
My pick for the best gardening stool for seniors would be the Vertex Garden Rocker Comfort Kneeling Bench. It has all the features you could ask for, short of an actual tool set. You should still review the choices above though, and see what would work for your unique gardening hobby and practices.
If you need mobility help getting to your garden, check out these rollators for outdoor use. These rollators have bigger wheels and are easier and safer to maneuver over uneven ground.
Gardening provides a great sense of the outdoors, peace of mind, and a great feeling of satisfaction when harvesting your vegetables or seeing your plants grow. This is one reason that gardening is a very popular hobby among seniors and the elderly.
You can even garden from your wheelchair!
If you or a senior you know is thinking about getting into gardening, try out some of the stools above and get to digging!
Do you have any more gardening tips for seniors in particular? Please share them with us! If you found this guide helpful, please share on your favorite social media!