magicJack® provides seniors and the elderly with a reliable and useful option for replacing a landline phone service. Learn more about pros and cons of magicJack for seniors in my full review.
But, some special account settings make it safer and ideal for seniors. Here are my personal recommendations for customizing a magicJack account for an older adult and their caregivers.
Activate 911 Access
- In the account settings, turn on 911 access. This enables emergency calling.
- Carefully enter their full registered 911 address. This provides an accurate location to dispatch.
Limit to Outgoing Calls Only
- Disable incoming calls in the account settings. This prevents unwanted disturbances.
- Only your loved one’s outbound calls will connect. Great for screening calls.
Remove Voicemail Indicator Tone
- The repetitive “beeping” tone for new voicemails can be irritating.
- In account settings, disable the stutter dial tone. Check voicemail manually instead.
Enable Call Screening
- Activate call screening to block robocalls and spam.
- Callers must enter a code before ringing through. Prevents automated scams.
Block Specific Numbers
- Identify any numbers that have harassed your loved one previously.
- Add them to the call blocking list in account settings. They won’t bother your senior again.
Forward Calls to You
- Optional auto-call forwarding sends all calls to you for screening.
- Monitor activity and toggle forwarding off when not needed for oversight.
Customize Voicemail Settings
- Speed to voicemail, notifications, and routing provide control.
- Set cadence based on unique needs and response time.
Create an Easy-to-Say Caller ID Name
- Replace default caller ID name with something simple like “Grandson”.
- Easier identification when placing calls due to cognition decline.
With these custom settings, Magic Jack provides safety and simplicity for senior users.
Now let’s discuss tips for protecting against phone scams:
Avoiding Senior Phone Scams
- Warn about IRS and Social Security imposter scams demanding money. These are always fake.
- Advise never to share personal information like social security numbers or bank details.
- Recommend letting unknown numbers go to voicemail and screening carefully before calling back.
- Make sure voicemail greeting doesn’t include any personal details, just a name.
- Report any suspicious calls to you immediately for investigation.
Magic Jack’s screening features, like call blocking, forwarding, and voicemail control, prevent scams. But awareness and caution are still key to keeping your loved one protected.
magicJack is a registered mark of magicJack, LP.