As people grow older, they tend to get less sleep. Babies sleep for over 16 hours a day. But as you grow older, your sleeping period comes down to 8 hours a day. Eventually, after crossing 60, that period again comes down. You stay awake until late at night, and you also wake up before everyone else in the house.
Maybe it is your health, or perhaps it is the uncomfortable mattress on which you sleep. So, your options are to get a new mattress or improve your current one with a better sleep surface.
If you want to change the mattress topper for good, here are a few you should have in your shortlist:
Reviews: Mattress Toppers for Elderly People
Here are the details of each model along with an explanation of why I recommend it.
LUCID 2 Inch 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Elders often don’t get the desired comfort level while sleeping. That is one of the reasons why they wake up quickly. Lucid Memory Foam Mattress Topper is here to change that experience once and for all. It has a 5-zoned comfort technique that eliminates your pressure points and promotes uninterrupted sleep. You don’t have to toss and turn frequently in bed and wake up in the middle of the night.
The memory gel used in this mattress topper distributes your body weight evenly. It conforms to your body’s curves that help to eliminate the pressure points on different areas like hips, shoulders, feet, and knees.
- It has raised zones that can alleviate your body pressure, this eliminating body pain that keeps you awake at night.
- The memory foam comes with cooling gel that doesn’t allow the mattress topper to get hot during summers.
- The improved breathability allows you to sleep within minutes.The foam is incredibly soft. You will feel like sinking into an ocean of cotton balls on you lie down.
- It has lavender infused in it instead of gel. Experts believe that gel offers slightly better comfort than lavender.
Linenspa Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Most seniors complain that their body aches because of the hard mattress topper. What your body needs is ultra-plush memory foam that hugs you when you sleep. This mattress, with 100% Polyurethane Memory Foam Gel Beads, can provide the utmost comfort you need once you lie down.
The temperature regulating gel beads can dissipate heat so that you don’t feel hot during summers. It comes in two profiles: 2 inches and 3 inches. Both of them have comfortable memory foam distributed equally to support your body weight.
The secret to finding a comfortable mattress topper is not spending a fortune on it. Instead, you should look to check the features that offer softness and enhances the life of your mattress. This one works wonders on elders.
- The memory foam used in this mattress topper relieves your body pressure.
- The infused cooling gel ensures that the mattress remains cool and comfortable while you sleep.
- You don’t have to replace your old mattress. Just put this mattress topper to save a fortune.
- Some mattresses have an egg create design for enhanced comfort level. This one doesn’t.
Sleep Innovations Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Are you one of those who don’t want to spend a fortune on a new mattress? In that case, getting a comfortable mattress topper is the way to go. This one has tons of benefits. From a 2-inch cooling gel memory foam and 2-inch quilted pillow top to cradling-like support, this mattress topper is the most comfortable one you will ever come across. They have temperature-regulating memory gel foam that keeps the mattress topper cool during summers and mildly warm during winters.
The contour design of the mattress topper allows your body to relax as soon as you lay down. It relieves your body’s pressure points for deeper and undisturbed sleep.
- It gives you the feeling of sleeping in a five-star hotel’s bed.
- With 2-inch gel memory foam and 2-inch quilted fiber, the comfort that this mattress topper offers is unbelievable.
- It is perfect for elders who want to spend long hours in bed.It comes with a 10-year warranty.
- It is quite expensive than other its competitors.
KARRISM Extra Thick Mattress Topper
If there was ever an ideal mattress topper for anyone, it has to be KARRISM Extra Thick Mattress Topper. Whether you are an elder or a teenager, this mattress topper can help you fall asleep in minutes. It is 50% thicker and softer regular mattress toppers you usually find in the market. The makers fill the mattress topper with ultra-plush snow. You will feel like sleeping on a bed of soft pillows.
This is one of the rarest mattress toppers that use 100% 400TC cotton. Moreover, the breathable fabric doesn’t allow the topper to get heated quickly. The soft cotton texture hugs your body as you sleep.
- This mattress topper doesn’t generate too much heat and avoids your body from getting sweaty during hot, sultry afternoons.
- The extra plush padding supports your hip and shoulders. You won’t get any back pain once you start sleeping on this mattress.
- You can wash this mattress topper in your washing machine.
- It doesn’t use memory foam, which most of the competitors use.
Pure Brands Mattress Topper & Mattress Pad Protector
Many elders want to make their hard mattress softer. While that is not always possible, you can use a Pure Brands Mattress Topper to sleep on a soft, gentle, pillow-like surface. This mattress topper is so soft that you may forget about replacing your mattress altogether. In fact, this brand claims that you no matter what type of mattress you have, their topper will work on almost every kind.
The plush construction of this mattress topper gives you the much-needed comfort that you missed so far. Having a hard mattress can get in the way of comfortable sleep for elders. Instead of complaining about the mattress every day, you should get this product right away. The soft, cloud-like layer will make you sleep like a baby.
- The design of this mattress is perfect to offer support to your shoulders and back. You will not experience back pain after sleeping on this mattress topper.
- It not only provides utmost comfort but also protects your mattress from dirt, bugs, and damage.
- Unlike other mattress toppers, this one doesn’t use memory foam gel.
Niagara Sleep Solution Bamboo Mattress Topper Cover
If you are one of those seniors who want to sleep for a large part of the day, the Niagara Sleep Solution Mattress Topper is the ideal product to buy. The premium mattress topper offers unbelievable comfort and makes you feel like sleeping on a cloud. Elders with back pain need extra cushioning while sleeping.
This mattress topper provides that support with extra quilted protector. So, there are two protective layers between you and the mattress. Leave the mattress alone for 24 to 48 hours before using it to make it look fuller and softer.
- It comes with fully fitted elastic bands. You don’t have to worry about the mattress topper slipping every now and then.
- The entire mattress topper is so soft that you can wash it in a washing machine.
- The additional cushioning gives you excellent support for your backbone, thus reducing back pain problems.
- Those who prefer a flat mattress topper may find this unusual because of the cloud-shape.
Important Mattress Topper Features for Seniors
When you are shopping for a mattress topper for an elderly person’s bed, you’ll see many of these features mentioned. Here is a quick review and my recommended options for seniors.
Mattress Topper Thickness – Is Thicker Always Better?
You’ll see mattress toppers anywhere from an inch thick to 4 inches thick or more. The thicker the topper is, the more plush it will feel too.
But, for seniors and elderly people, toppers can be too thick. A thick topper raises the height of the bed which may or may not be a good thing depending on your current mattress heights. Also, thick memory foam mattress toppers can be hard to “climb out of” if you have limited strength.
My recommendation is to go with a 2″ thick model for a good balance of comfort and support.
Memory Foam is the Superior Material for Seniors
Most toppers will be memory foam or latex foam. Memory foam is known for conforming to your body and offering both support and comfort. It also helps with pressure relief and provides better spinal alignment.
Memory foam will retain some heat but a gel-infused model will help dissipate that heat.
My recommendation is to select a mattress topper made of memory foam.
Gel Infused Toppers Dissipate Heat for Comfortable Sleep
Many toppers and mattress pads are infused with cooling gel that helps reduce the temperature of your bed as you sleep. This can promote better quality sleep.
So, unless you cooler sleeping temperatures bother you, go with a gel-infused product.
Textured Surfaces Promote Better Air Flow
Textured mattress toppers and pads promote better air flow around your skin and also help keep you cool. This is a really important feature for elderly people who spend a lot of time in bed.
Multiple Zone Toppers Help Reduce Pressure in Critical Areas
Elderly people who spend a lot of time in bed are more likely to get pressure sores. Especially on their bottom, back, and heels. The best mattress toppers for elderly people are zoned to have less pressure in these critical areas.
So, for people who spend a lot of time in bed, I recommend a zoned product to reduce pressure in these critical areas.
Note that none of the products I am promoting above are considered clinical pressure relieving products. So if the user has a history of pressure sores discuss this with your doctor.
Included Covers and Protectors Keep the Topper in Place and Clean
Mattress toppers that come with covers will stay in place better because the cover wraps around the mattress. It also keeps them cleaner because you can remove the cover and throw it in the laundry.
Summary and Final Recommendations
Sleep is important to our overall health. Period.
There are many reasons you might not sleep as well as you age. A good place to start improving sleep is with the comfort of your current mattress and bed.
You can replace your current mattress or try adding a new mattress topper first as a cheaper option. This can improve your bed’s comfort and support without breaking the bank.
The ideal mattress topper for seniors and the elderly is made of thick memory foam (but not too thick), has cooling properties, allows for good air flow and is easy to clean. You’ll find lots of options above in this guide.
Do you know of another mattress topper that works well for seniors and the elderly? Tell me about them in the comments below!