A comfortable blanket is a godsend gift, especially if you are in a nursing home. Chilly winters can get the better of you if you have frequent joint pains. A warm compression and soft and cozy blanket can make things better.
But you shouldn’t use the blankets that you have at home in the nursing home because they are usually too big. What you need is something small; something that fits the size of your nursing home bed.
Blankets for nursing homes are quite smaller and cover your chest to your legs. Thanks to its small size, you can not only use it on your bed but also when you spend time on your wheelchair.
They come in a variety of sizes, fabrics, and styles and you can buy one depending on the size of your bed and the fabric you feel most comfortable with.
What’s the Best Size for Nursing Home Blankets?
If you are wondering which size will suit your nursing home bed, then you need to consider a couple of factors: if you only use it for your bed, then the ideal size is 50″ x 60″ inches or maybe 60″ x 70″ depending on your height and size of the bed. On the other hand, if you want to use the blanket both on your bed and in your wheelchair, you will need a slightly smaller size. In that case, you should look for a blanket with a size of 34″ x 44″.
Another thing you should consider is the fabric. Nursing homes usually wash everything in high heat. You should pick a machine-washable blanket so that its fabric doesn’t degrade over time.
Be sure to choose a material that can withstand the temperature of water used by the nursing home to wash clothes and blankets. You should also make sure the blanket is properly labeled if the facility is washing it. If you decide to wash it yourself at home, make sure to have another available to swap it out with.
What Are the Best Blankets for Nursing Homes?
Now that you know about the sizes of blankets for nursing homes, let’s take a look at some of the best blankets in this category:
The name throw blanket shouldn’t be your concern as long as it serves your purpose in the nursing home. The SLPR Blue Symphony Quilted Throw is ideal to keep you warm and cozy in your bed.
It comes in one size only: 50″ x 60″. Made of 100% cotton, this blanket is one of the softest and doesn’t suffocate you when you slip under it. The breathable cotton makes you feel as if someone is hugging you lightly. Plus, the light weight of this blanket is another reason why it makes it to the top of the list.
You won’t feel heavy when you put this blanket on, yet it will warm you up in a few minutes.
- This blanket looks incredible with its patchwork design sewn into individual fabric squares.
- There is a country charm to this blanket. It’s the kind of blanket that you wish you had in your home.
- It is 100% machine-washable and it retains its beauty and color after you tumble dry it.
If you love exotic, colorful patterns, then this blanket is for you.
The size is usually for someone tall and using a big nursing home bed. With a 60″ x 78″ covering area, it is big enough to cover you nicely and your caregiver can also tuck the blanket under your bed so that it doesn’t slide off while you sleep.
The close boxed double stitching ensures that the blanket keeps it’s the uniform filling inside even after you wash it. You can use this blanket as a reversible throw in your home while watching TV in your recliner or reading a book.
- The soft cotton fabric gives a body-hugging feeling when you put this blanket on.
- The decorative patterns make the blanket look unique.
- It is completely resistible to fading and wrinkling. You can wash it as many times as you want and it would look like new every time it comes out of the washing machine.
- You can use it as your blanket, bedding throw, bed cover, picnic rug, and bedspread.
The Simple Being Premium Sherpa Plush Fleece Throw Blanket is undoubtedly one of the most luxurious nursing home blankets you will see. If you don’t mind spending a few more bucks for a premium-quality blanket, then don’t miss out on this one.
It is super-soft and keeps you warm during chilly winter evenings. This one comes in a standard size of 50″ x 65″. It has a 480 GSM Sherpa lining fabric that makes the blanket soft.
Although it provides enough warmth to keep you comfortable, it doesn’t weigh too much.
- It is made of high-quality Sherpa lining fabric that doesn’t have loose fiber after washing.
- You can wash it in your washing machine and tumble dry it for cleaning thoroughly. This fabric won’t shrink even after multiple wash cycles.
- It comes with a special weaving technology for a softer touch.
- It is one of the most versatile nursing home blankets as you can use its reverse side as well.
If you are not willing to spend a hefty amount on a nursing home blanket, then you should buy the Love’s cabin Flannel Fleece Blanket. Made from 100% microfiber, it traps your body heat to keep you warm in your nursing home bed. It has a very snuggly feeling once you put it on.
The soft and silky touch gives a premium feel to the blanket. Available in 9 colors, you can choose one if you also want to use the blanket after going home. The 100% microfiber is excellent in keeping you warm. You may feel hot after putting this blanket on, meaning it serves its purpose flawlessly.
- It has a size of 50″ x 60″ making it suitable for most nursing home beds.
- The double-sided flannel material, together with double-layer sewing makes the blanket look incredibly stylish.
- The 100% microfiber polyester is skin-friendly.
- There are 10 colors to choose from.
- The softness of the blanket and silky touch gives it a premium look.
The MAXTID Small Weighted Lap Blanket is ideal for those who want to use it on a nursing home bed and also as a wheelchair blanket too.
It is a relatively small blanket with a size of 39″ x 23″. As the name suggests, blanket will cover from your chest to your legs. It is better not to use a lap blanket for the elderly while they are sleeping because it doesn’t provide full coverage when you compare it with some of the bigger blankets.
That doesn’t mean it compromises on the fabric quality. The ultra-soft velveteen fabric filled with non-toxic glass beads is so soft that you will feel like curling it into a ball every time you put it on.
- It offers deep pressure relaxation that helps you drift off to sleep quickly.
- The small size makes it suitable or using on your nursing home bed and wheelchair. (Check out these heated blankets for wheelchair users too!)
- The gridded stitching keeps the glass beads in place and ensures even weight distribution.
RELATED: Become a Nursing Home Volunteer
With so many fantastic nursing home blankets around, it is only a matter of time before you choose one and buy it. They have top-notch quality and also don’t weigh too much, which makes them ideal for using in nursing homes. You can see my other guides to blankets for seniors here.