When searching for cooling blankets for sweaty sleepers, the three most important things to consider are:
- Material and breathability: Cooling blankets should be made of materials that promote airflow and wick away moisture. We recommend bamboo, cotton, and performance fabric blends designed to regulate temperature and manage moisture because they dissipate heat and keep sweaty sleepers dry and comfortable throughout the night.
- Cooling technology: Some cooling blankets use specialized technologies such as phase-change materials (PCMs) that absorb, store, and release heat or gel-infused fibers that help maintain a consistently cool temperature. It’s essential to understand the cooling features and mechanisms of the blanket to ensure it meets your needs.
- Quality and durability: Look for cooling blankets that are well-constructed, durable, and easy to maintain to ensure it will last and maintain its cooling properties over time. Additionally, check the care instructions to ensure the blanket can be easily cleaned and maintained without losing its effectiveness.
Best Blankets for Sweaty Sleepers
Here are the blankets that we recommend for sleepers looking for a cooling sleep experience.
REST Evercool Cooling Comforter
The REST Evercool Cooling Comforter is an exceptional solution for individuals who struggle with sleep due to overheating and excessive sweating under a traditional comforter. This cutting-edge product is specifically designed to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
For sweaty sleepers, the comforter’s cooling technology and high thermal conductivity fabric are game-changers. The Evercool fabric wicks away moisture and sweat, while its breathability allows air to circulate, preventing heat build-up and ensuring a comfortable sleep environment.
As a fellow hot sleeper, I have personally experienced the benefits of the REST Evercool Cooling Comforter (thanks to a sample sent to me by the company). It has transformed my sleep quality by regulating my body temperature and eliminating the need for constant adjustments during the night.
For a comprehensive understanding of this comforter’s remarkable features, I recommend reading my full review of this helpful cooling comforter.
The REST Evercool Cooling Comforter is a highly recommended choice for those who experience sleep disturbances due to overheating and sweating. Its unique combination of cooling technology, moisture-wicking fabric, and breathability make it a worthwhile investment for a more comfortable and restful night’s sleep.
This cooling blanket has multiple uses – from a bed blanket to a quick covering for a nap on the recliner or the couch.
I, too, am a hot sleeper – to the point that it wakes me up (usually covered in sweat).
The folks at Elegear sent me one of their cooling blankets to try out. I was a bit skeptical just because I’d never heard of the brand. But they have very high ratings on Amazon. So, I gave it a try.
I slept with the blanket for two weeks and was extremely happy with it. I found myself waking up less often and not waking up with a damp pillow, either! I liked it so much that it will be staying on my bed.
The blanket is super thin but very soft, much like your favorite T-shirt. It has two layers: the outer layer is designed to wick away moisture, and the inner cotton layer feels smooth against the skin.
If you’d like an option that is a bit thicker, check out the Elegear Cooling Comforter instead.
Eight colors are available to choose from, and all the usual bed sizes are available too.
If you are a hot sleeper but still like to have a blanket pulled up to your neck, take a look at this cooling bamboo coverlet blanket from Cool-jams. If you haven’t heard about Cool-jams, they are a US-based company specializing in bedding and sleepwear that cools you while you sleep.
This coverlet blanket is lightweight but has enough heft to it that you can feel that it is there. The super-soft, breathable bamboo fabric is naturally hypoallergenic and is even mildew and odor-resistant. And bamboo is an ideal fabric for regulating your sleep temperature.
It features a classic quilted design and is available in 6 colors. Queen and King size only, though.
Cool-jams also offers a cooling duvet set as well for another option.
The Cumulus Lightweight Comforter
This comforter is another that boasts the manufacturer’s unique approach to the fill being used to provide that exceptional night’s rest.
It has a cotton outer and a fill that is a combination of polyester and ‘Outlast® technology’, which was originally designed by NASA scientists and excels at storing and releasing heat during the course of the night and controlling humidity.
It’s available in various sizes, including Twin / Twin XL, Full / Queen, and King / Cal-King. There are two weights – the ‘lightweight’ and ‘Comforter.’ For warmer climates, the Lightweight option is ideal.
This product uses high-quality 300-thread-count cotton sateen fabric and employs technology that ensures an even temperature throughout the night.
It is highly effective at wicking moisture away from the body – and the lightweight, breathable material has been formulated to ensure that it is suitable for use in both summer and winter.
It’s also hypoallergenic to ensure that those suffering from allergies to natural products such as Down can enjoy an undisturbed night’s rest.
This cooling blanket is ideal for those searching for great comfort, a wonderful cool night’s sleep, and exceptional value. As a bonus, it’s also available in several sizes and colors, and it’s reversible, so you can mix and match it to suit your mood and keep your bedding options open.
This cooling blanket is manufactured using high-quality microfiber that is exceptionally breathable. It’s also hypoallergenic and is suitable for use year-round. It’s also machine washable.
Another great “value-for-money” cooling blanket, the manufacturer describes this product as a crossover between a sheet and a blanket – and DANGTOP also claims that it will keep sleepers around 3 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature of the room.
It’s made from an ultra-soft breathable bamboo microfiber material and is available in several colors, twin and full sizes. It has received around 500 5-star reviews on Amazon, many of those from menopausal women who use the bedding, and praised its comfort and effectiveness.
This cooling blanket is both hand and machine-washable – but should be dried in the sun as otherwise, it is prone to shrinkage. It’s perfect for extremely hot climates and muggy nights.
The unique mix of fibers and fills in the inner, and the cover has resulted in great consumer feedback. This cooling blanket uses a combination of a cotton cover and polyester fill – and both components also contain unique ‘37.5® technology’ fibers that maintain an even temperature all night.
The manufacturer claims that the ‘active-particle technology’ also attracts and removes moisture to avoid humidity buildup and the dreaded ‘sweaty night syndrome.’ It’s perfect for multi-season use. It’s also a great addition to bedroom decor as it is available in five different colors (with matching sheets).
Comparing Cooling Blanket Materials
Comparing and contrasting various materials used in cooling blankets will help you find the ideal option for your needs. Understanding the differences between these materials is crucial for selecting a blanket that provides optimal cooling, comfort, and value.
|Material Name||Material Properties||Cooling Ability (1-10)||Affordability|
|Cotton||Soft, breathable, natural fiber; good moisture-wicking abilities||7||Affordable|
|Bamboo||Soft, eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, and antibacterial; excellent moisture-wicking||8||Expensive|
|Microfiber||Lightweight, synthetic material; soft and moisture-wicking||6||Inexpensive|
|Linen||Durable, natural fiber; breathable and moisture-wicking; gets softer over time||8||Expensive|
|Tencel||Eco-friendly, made from wood pulp; soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking||7||Expensive|
|Outlast (PCM)||Phase-change material (PCM) designed to absorb, store, and release heat||9||Expensive|
|Gel-Infused Fiber||Fibers infused with cooling gel; temperature-regulating and moisture-wicking||9||Expensive|
|Polyester||Synthetic material; less breathable than natural fibers but still moisture-wicking||5||Inexpensive|
|Blended Fabrics||Combination of natural and synthetic fibers; varied breathability and moisture-wicking||6-8 (varies)||Varies|
|Please note that the cooling ability ratings and affordability categories are subjective and may vary depending on the specific product and brand. This table should be used as a general guideline for understanding the properties of different materials used in blankets.|
- Cotton is a popular choice for its softness, breathability, and moisture-wicking abilities. It’s an affordable natural fiber that provides a moderate cooling effect, making it suitable for those looking for a comfortable and budget-friendly option.
- Bamboo is an eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, and antibacterial material known for its excellent moisture-wicking properties. It’s softer than cotton and offers better cooling performance. However, bamboo blankets can be more expensive than their cotton counterparts.
- Microfiber is a lightweight synthetic material that is soft and moisture-wicking. It’s a more inexpensive option, but it doesn’t offer as much breathability as natural fibers like cotton or bamboo.
- Linen is a highly durable natural fiber that is breathable and moisture-wicking. It gets softer over time, providing a luxurious feel. Linen cooling blankets can be expensive but offer excellent cooling properties.
- Tencel is an eco-friendly material made from wood pulp, known for its softness, breathability, and moisture-wicking abilities. It’s similar to bamboo in terms of cooling performance but tends to be on the pricier side.
- Outlast (PCM) is a phase-change material designed to absorb, store, and release heat. It provides exceptional cooling performance, but blankets made with this technology can be quite expensive.
- Gel-infused fibers are another innovative option, featuring fibers infused with cooling gel. These blankets offer excellent temperature regulation and moisture-wicking properties, but they are typically more expensive than other materials.
- Polyester is a synthetic material that provides some moisture-wicking abilities but is less breathable than natural fibers. It’s an inexpensive option, but it may not be the best choice for those who require optimal cooling.
- Blended fabrics are a combination of natural and synthetic fibers, offering a mix of breathability and moisture-wicking properties. The cooling performance and affordability of blended fabric blankets can vary greatly depending on the specific materials used.
The ideal cooling blanket material for you will depend on your preferences, budget, and desired cooling performance.
While natural fibers like cotton, bamboo, and linen are often preferred for their breathability and moisture-wicking properties, innovative options like Outlast and gel-infused fibers offer advanced cooling technologies.
Keep in mind that the price range will vary, and it’s essential to balance cooling performance with affordability when making your decision.
Cooler Sleep = Better Sleep
The problem may be more common than one might think, and some simply ‘run hot’ when sleeping rather than suffering from a specific medical condition. However, the fact is that most people will sleep better during the night if they enjoy an optimum temperature – neither too hot nor too cold.
In a recent survey by the Washington Post, 80% of respondents indicated that they would sleep better when it is cooler. Another study (published in 2019) in the “International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health” echoed those results.
There are prescription medications that can help those who suffer from night sweats and disturbed sleep due to the discomfort of overheating. However, more and more people are searching for a natural remedy that will allow them to enjoy a good night’s sleep – and what could be more natural than simply staying cool during the night?
Cooling Blankets for Hot Sleepers
Fortunately, there is a solution – to invest in one of the many cooling blankets widely available today. These highly breathable and lightweight blankets absorb heat during the early stages of the sleep cycle (or while falling asleep) and then release that heat slowly and evenly during the night – ensuring that the sleeper enjoys an even, comfortable sleeping experience.
There are also a variety of electric cooling blankets that can be highly effective at maintaining a comfortable temperature for the sleeper during the night.
The fabric of the cooling blanket can have a lot to do with just how good it is at ensuring a great night’s sleep. Materials such as cotton, Egyptian cotton, silk, and bamboo.
However, each of these has unique properties – and is available at a variety of price points – prices that can also depend on variables such as size, weight, and the technology used to provide that great night’s rest.
Stay Cool For Better Sleep
A great night’s sleep is absolutely essential for those who want to wake feeling refreshed and ready to face the day.
A bad night’s sleep means waking up feeling listless, out of sorts, and cranky – and a sub-standard night’s sleep can have a variety of serious health implications, including (but not limited to) an increased chance of heart problems.
Some research will reveal which cooling blanket is right for your unique needs. Given that there is such a huge choice, it is almost certain that you will find a sleep solution that meets your exact requirements – and matches your budget.