- Hand Held Shower Head Reviews
- BONUS TIP: Suction Cup Shower Head Mount
- Shower Heads for Handicapped Adults
- Why is the Handheld Shower Head So Important to Senior Safety?
- Buying Guide: Hand Held Shower Heads for the Elderly
- How to Install Handheld Showers
- Summary and Recommendations
When elderly people begin having trouble with bathing, the first instinct is to find a shower chair or bath seat. These types of bathroom aids are important for elderly people for preventing falls. But there is another piece of bathroom safety equipment you should also consider: the shower head.
Having the right shower head is important for reducing the chance of falls while in the shower. So, here is my guide on choosing the best hand held shower heads for elderly people and seniors who are having difficulty bathing safely.
Hand Held Shower Head Reviews
Here are my specific recommendations for the best shower heads with hoses and easy to operate functions, along with reviews:
AquaSense 3 Setting Handheld Shower Head with Ultra-Long Hose
$16.98 in stock
- Handheld Shower Heads by AquaSense provide increased bathing safety, independence and comfort while sitting or standing
- This shower head has 3 spray settings that can be activated by an easy-to-turn spray dial, providing a narrow, wide or standard spray
- Ultra-long 80 inch stainless steel, tangle-free hose allows you to shower comfortably when sitting or standing
- Simple on/off rotating control knob at the base of the handle provides easy water flow control at your finger tips
- The AquaSense Handheld Shower Head is corrosion resistant, includes a convenient shower hook and simplifies installation with easy, tool-free assembly
This is the best choice for a general handheld shower head for an elderly person because it checks off every box on my list and is affordable too. I love that it has an on/off switch control at the base of the handle for easy access, and it’s operated by a simple rotating motion.
It also has 80 inches of kink and tangle free tubing to prevent any potential falls, and only weighs a little over a pound. While this seems like a lot, it should be light enough for people with arthritis to handle. The whole unit is corrosion resistant as well.
Finally, it has 3 spray head patterns for adjustable and customizable water pressure to protect seniors’ sensitive skin. With tool free assembly and a simple white design, this shower head is easy to set up in any bathroom.
Moen DN8001CH Home Care Pause Control Hand Held Shower Head
5 used from $30.77
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Chrome finish is highly reflective for a mirror-like look that works with any decorating style
- COORDINATING COLLECTION: Coordinates with other Moen bathroom accessories
- SAFETY FIRST: Bathroom accessories to lend a helping hand when you need it
- PEACE-OF-MIND: Designed for hassle-free installation
- BUILT TO LAST: Backed by Moen’s Limited Lifetime Warranty
This is the best handheld shower head with a long hose for people with arthritis. The grip is soft and textured so that it is easy to hold onto without needing to squeeze it. It also has a built-on strap that keeps the elderly person from dropping it. This could prevent a fall!
It has a long 84 inch hose (which comes out to about 7 feet) for maximum movement without any tangles or kinks. The on/off switch is easy to reach, located on the head itself, and easy to use with just a one touch operation. It weighs about 1.6 pounds, so it’s a little heavier than the other option but still light enough for arthritic hands to handle effectively and without pain.
HotelSpa 7-Setting AquaCare Series Spiral Handheld Shower Head
$19.88 in stock
- DELUXE HAND SHOWER: Can be used as Overhead or Handheld shower | High-power | 3-zone Precision SpiralFlo Click Lever Dial | Ergonomic Grip Handle | Rub-Clean Jets (for easy cleaning and preventing lime buildup) | Angle-Adjustable | Modern design | All-chrome finish (including face). | 7 SETTINGS include Power Rain, Pulsating Massage, Hydrating Mist, Rain/Massage, Rain/Mist and Water-saving Economy Rain and Pause Modes
- ANGLE-ADJUSTABLE OVERHEAD BRACKET: Lets you point hand shower where you want it for hands-free operation at desired angle
- EXTANDABLE SHOWER HOSE: More flexible than stiff plastic hoses | 2 ft longer reach then standard length hoses | More compact and less tangle then extra-long hoses | Super flexible spiral design | Rich high-end look | Stainless Steel Hose and Nuts | Stretches to Your Needs!
- EASY TOOL-FREE CONNECTION: No need to call a plumber - installs in minutes with just one hand-tighten connection. Fits any standard shower arm.
- BEST LIFETIME WARRANTY: Hassle-Free US Limited Lifetime Warranty with LIVE customer service representatives in US.
I like this handheld shower head too but it has a few small issues. It is best used for a high functioning senior with good hand function. The on/off switch is located in the right place but it is small in size. Even better, the tubing stretches to 7 feet long (from 5 feet) but this could be difficult for an elderly person who is weak. Also, the motion needed to stretch could potentially knock them off balance too.
On the other hand, it does have a large amount of pressure settings (7 to be exact) and only weighs one pound. You can also install it easily without any tools, which is very handy for a senior living alone.
AquaDance High Pressure 6-Setting 4" Chrome Face Hand Held Shower Head
$19.99 in stock
3 used from $17.77
- OUR BEST 10 PICK: Engineered to optimize your water pressure and flow efficiency, this product has been vigorously tested by our professional team of US showerhead experts to meet highest US quality and performance standards
- DELUXE 6-SETTING 4" FACE HAND SHOWER: Can be used as Overhead or Handheld shower, High-power Click Lever Dial, Ergonomic Handle, Rub-Clean Jets (for easy cleaning and preventing lime buildup), Water-Saving Mist & Pause modes, ALL-CHROME FINISH including face and all parts
- ANGLE-ADJUSTABLE OVERHEAD BRACKET: Lets you point hand shower where you want it for hands-free operation at desired angle, EXTRA-FLEXIBLE REINFORCED 5-FOOT STAINLESS STEEL HOSE provides extra-flexible reach and mobility
- INCLUDES: Handheld Shower, Shower Hose, Overhead Bracket, Washers, Plumber’s Tape and Installation Instructions, STUNNING GIFT BOX DESIGNED IN USA: Sophisticated, upscale packaging for a perfect gift
- EASY TOOL-FREE CONNECTION: No need to call a plumber. Fits any standard shower arm. BEST AMERICAN LIFETIME WARRANTY from top US shower brand with LIVE American customer service representatives in US to assist you on the phone or by email
Another great shower head that’s a bit wider than the others on this recommended list is the Aquadance high pressure shower head. Its head it about 4 inches wide for a full shower experience. It also has 6 settings including power rain, pulsating massage, power mist, rain massage, rain mist, and pause mode with an easy to turn click lever dial. Due to these features, this shower is versatile and easy to operate.
This one can also be used as a hands-free overhead mounted shower head with an easy to adjust angle for shorter or taller seniors. It has a flexible, reinforced 5 foot long stainless steel hose, and it has rub clean jets that allow for easy cleaning and no lime buildup.
LORDEAR Luxury Large High Pressure Handheld Shower Head Set with Holder
$15.99 in stock
- Powerful Full-Flow 3.5 Inch Head Provides 6 Spray Settings, Giving you a variety of functions to find your perfect pressure:Power Rain, Pulsating Massage, Power Mist, Rain Massage, Rain Mist, Water Saving Pause modeW/ 45% Water Saving Switch
- PREMIUM SHOWER HEAD: 3.5-inch Face High-power Click Lever Dial Soft self-cleaning nozzles (for easy cleaning and preventing lime buildup) Angle-Adjustable Modern design All- Chrome Finish (including face)Flexiable 60 Inch Stainless Steel Shower Hose and 2-Way Diverter Included
- EASY INSTALLATION -2.5 GPM flow control, fits standard U.S. plumbing connections. Tool Free Installation, Easy connects to any standard shower arm
- REMOVABLE RESTRICTOR - Take out low flow limiter to boost gpm for increased water pressure to get glorious spa-like showers right in your own home.
- 【Lordear Promise】-Limited lifetime warranty.If there any problem, please feel free to contact us .
The main advantage of this shower head is that its face is much larger than others on this list, coming in at 6 inches wide.
That kind of dispersion provides a very luxurious experience for the user, and also speeds up the process of cleaning a bit. This is particularly beneficial for caretakers who have to bathe their elderly patients, as it’s more comprehensive than other shower heads.
Hydroluxe Full-Chrome 24 Function Shower Head / Handheld-Shower Combo
$24.99 in stock
2 used from $23.24
- Use luxurious 5-setting overhead shower head and 5-setting hand shower separately or both together! Choose from 24 full and combined water flow patterns.
- Each shower features Oversize 4 Inch Chrome Face with 3-zone Click Lever Dial and Rub-clean Jets. 5 settings include: Power Rain, Massage, Stay-Warm Mist, Water-saving Economy Rain and Pause.
- Patented 3-way Water Diverter with Anti-Swivel Lock Nut and Angle-Adjustable Overhead Bracket.
- 5 Foot Super Flexible Stainless Steel Hose with Conical Brass Hose Nuts for easy and reliable hand tightening. Plumber's Tape and all Washers included.
- Tools-free Installation - connects in minutes to any standard overhead shower arm, no tools required. 10-year Limited Warranty directly from Interlink Products International, Inc., America's premier showerhead manufacturer.
Finally, you may find it beneficial to get a 2 in 1 shower head/ handheld shower head combination product like this one. Here the advantage is that you get two streams of water to make sure you’re entirely clean, but you get the independence and control of the handheld shower head along with the feel of a normal one.
This shower head comes with 5 flow settings, including wide rain, power massage, stay warm mist, eco rain, and pause mode. It also has the option to only spray the stationary shower head or handheld component if you don’t want two streams at once. Furthermore, the chrome face of this shower head is 4 inches wide, which is broader than usual.
Most notably, the Hydroluxe also features a 3 zone click lever dial, which is easy enough for senior hands to operate, and a patented 3 way diverter dial for the various settings of the shower heads. The overhead bracket that holds the two shower heads is also adjustable to any angle, and there is a 5 foot long flexible stainless steel hose. You can install this in a senior’s home tool free, especially since your purchase comes with plumbers tape, but there is also an option to add in professional installation.
BONUS TIP: Suction Cup Shower Head Mount
Changing Lifestyles Safe-er-Grip Portable Shower Arm
- The product is port shower arm mount
- For placement on tile, tile squares must be at least 4 inch x 4 inch in diameter
- Must be applied to smooth, dry, non-porous surfaces, such as, glazed ceramic tiles, plastic or glass. Item does not suction to textured or bumpy surfaces; this surface MUST be smooth and flat
- Product does NOT suction to drywall
- Do not place over grout lines as this allows air to move under the suction cup thereby releasing its hold. Always test to confirm suction is tight before each use
This product is a great way to mount the shower head in a safe location for the elderly person. It uses a suction system to mount the shower head anywhere in the shower. Mount it in a place where they will not have to stretch or bend over to get to the shower head. As a result, the shower head will be close at all times and maybe prevent an injury.
There are a few drawbacks, however. This product does not suction to drywall and only works when it is applied to smooth, dry, non-porous surfaces. If your shower is like most others (glazed ceramic tiles, plastic, or glass surfaces), this shouldn’t be an issue.
When placing the suction cup on tile, the tile square needs to be at least 4 inches by 4 inches in area to work properly. If it is placed over grout lines, this allows air to move underneath the suction and compromise its hold on the tile.
However, the good news is that it can be relocated easily, so make sure to test it in a few different areas to make sure its secure and comfortable for continued use in your seniors’ shower.
Shower Heads for Handicapped Adults
Of course, many of these shower heads are also helpful for handicapped or disabled adults to have in their showers. They’re also great to use in conjunction with other safe bathroom accessories like non-slip bath mats, shower chairs, hand rails, and more. Bathing can be a dangerous experience as we get older, so having any sort of help in the shower is recommended.
Any of the above shower heads also work well for bathing handicapped adults or the disabled. Take a look and see if one would work for you.
Why is the Handheld Shower Head So Important to Senior Safety?
Let’s put ourselves in the bath slippers of an elderly person and think through the process of a seated shower.
- First, the bather turns on the water and sets the proper temperature.
- Then, the elderly person has to safely get over the edge of the tub. This is usually done by holding on to grip bars if the person walks ok. If not, transfer benches are used to get safely over the tub edge.
- Next, the bather sits on the bath seat to get ready to bathe. Or, if they use a transfer bench, they are already seated.
- Now, they adjust the shower head so that the water is hitting them properly.
See the problem?
To move the shower head, the elderly person must stand back up if it is mounted above them. On the other hand, they may have to lean forward to switch the control if they have the wrong style of handheld shower head. As a result, these movements are a fall waiting to happen!
Buying Guide: Hand Held Shower Heads for the Elderly
Handheld shower heads are an important part of my shower safety tips for seniors and the elderly. They also allow them to remain independent in their most private moments too.
Here’s how to find the best handheld shower head for seniors and the elderly.
The Problems with Regular Handheld Shower Heads
The standard handheld shower head that you buy at your local big box store is not the best choice for elderly people. While they may be cheaper, these shower heads have a few key flaws in common:
OK Then, What Should You Look For?
To make the bathtub and shower as safe as possible for an elderly person, look for a handheld shower head that corrects the flaws above.
Checklist for the Best Handheld Shower Head for the Elderly:
How to Install Handheld Showers
A handheld shower head can usually be installed easily and quickly on your existing plumbing and shower head connection. All that is needed is a wrench and some plumbers tape. Here is a video that walks you through it step by step:
Summary and Recommendations
Having the right handheld shower head for elderly people and seniors is important because it makes a big difference in their safety. These simple little products go a long way in reducing the chance of a fall in the bath or shower due to their convenience and easy to operate features.
RELATED GUIDE: The Best Bathtub Lifts for Seniors
But, there are a few critical features they should have to be safe. Whether they are being used in a standard tub or a walk in tub, choosing the best shower heads will leave seniors clean and safe.
What has been your experience with elderly bathroom safety? Do you use a particularly great shower head that’s not mentioned above? Please share below!