Weighted blankets have become a highly sought-after item among many demographics. A lot of people are flocking to weighted blankets despite the fact they have been around for some time.
This is primarily due to more information coming out about their benefits and effectiveness for improving one’s sleep.
Weighted blankets can be especially beneficial for seniors who suffer from insomnia and various health problems that cause them to get insufficient or poor quality sleep. After all, there have been numerous studies pointing at weighted blankets’ effectiveness for reducing anxiety with its deep pressure stimulation. 
Along with this, there is adequate research that shows kids with autism and their parents were able to notice significant improvements in their sleep from using weighted blankets.  While there isn’t direct research showcasing the efficacy of using weighted blankets for reducing arthritis directly, there are studies that showcase how deep pressure stimulation can help to minimize joint pain and discomfort.
When you combine the benefits of weighted blankets with applied heat, you get an even more effective solution to joint pain or discomfort that is causing your sleep-related issues.
How Can A Heated Weighted Blanket Help You Sleep Better?
1. Heat Can Relax You
Heat is well known for being relaxing. This is typically why you feel much better when you take a warm bath at the end of a long day. Or why you would want to hop in the sauna after an intense workout.
2. Heat Can Reduce the Pain
Heat is also well known for reducing pain. This is why you would apply a warm compress to sore joints or muscles. A heated blanket will offer a pain-reducing combination of compressed heat with deep pressure stimulation which should minimize any joint discomfort or other pain you are dealing with.
3. It Can Help With Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
If you are one of the 10 to 35 percent of seniors over the age of 65 who suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome, you will benefit from using a weighted blanket considerably. Symptoms of this condition can involve involuntary movements and if it’s out of control, you could develop a lot of sleep-related issues including insomnia and even depression.  Therefore, anything that can make it easier to minimize the symptoms of this condition will be effective at helping you sleep better.
Best Heated Weighted Blankets Available
Now that you’ve decided you want in on the fun of getting better sleep, it’s time to choose the right weighted blanket. However, there are so many different options to choose from.
With seemingly every manufacturer and brand looking to tap into such a hot product, it can be disorienting to look at and choosing between different blankets.
In this article, we will be going over some of the different heated weighted blankets that stand out as the best available.
This is a standout combination of a heated and weighted blanket. This particular blanket combines a weighted blanket with an electric blanket and it meshes the two together seamlessly. Using this blanket is extremely comforting and relaxing.
It features a good 13-pounds of evenly distributed glass beads. This allows the blanket to offer enough deep pressure stimulation throughout without overwhelming the user.
Best of all, the outer portion of the blanket is made of micro mink and sherpa. Meaning, you are getting a blanket that is not only high-quality but one that is extremely soft to the touch. This means you will spend less time tossing and turning in bed to get comfortable.
The blanket comes with everything you would need in a combination blanket. You get the blanket itself, an easy-to-use LED controller and even a bag for storage.
Why It’s A Good Buy?
- Comfort. This should be your primary factor to consider when buying a blanket to help you sleep. Having a comfortable blanket should be key. Because this blanket comes with even weight distribution using high-quality glass beads and because it features an extremely soft and plush outer cover, it’s a blanket that will be comfortable to sleep with.
- 5-Year Warranty. Whenever you have anything electric, you want to be covered. This brand/manufacturer is willing to back its product with a 5-year warranty. Meaning, you will be able to feel confident you are going to get your money’s worth when you buy it.
SensaCalm Custom Weighted Blankets
There is nothing wrong with being specific about the weighted blankets you use. However, it does complicate your shopping. Because either way, you know you have to compromise.
Or do you?
When you visit the SensaCalm website, you quickly realize you can have the perfect weighted blanket, seeing as you choose every aspect. With more than 50 fabrics at your disposal, you can get very specific about the type of weighted blanket you want. The size, the weight, and even the thickness of the blanket depend on your taste and comfort.
All you have to do is visit SensaCalm and “create” the perfect weighted blanket.
This isn’t a full blanket, but it can offer similar benefits you would get from a full-body alternative. If you are looking for something that you can take around with you wherever you go, this would be the ideal option. Some seniors spend time on the road and having a smaller and more portable solution might be key to getting optimal sleep.
This blanket comes in two different sizes. You can get this blanket in either large which is (20″ x 12″) or X-large which is (32″ x 21″). Regardless of the size, you end up choosing, you should be able to get good results with either.
The blanket is made of premium quilted micro mink and the diamond pattern assures that you will get even weight distribution throughout the entirety of the blanket.
The blanket offers 3-distinct levels of warmth you can choose from and it features an automatic shut-off timer which can keep the pad from getting too hot to the touch.
Why It’s A Good Buy:
- Travel-Friendly. If you are someone who travels, you won’t find a better option to help comfort you at night. The pad itself weighs only 6-pounds which is enough to give you deep pressure stimulation but not enough to weigh you down.
- Target Areas. As a senior, you might need pain relief in a specific area. You may not necessarily want to warm your entire body if you are looking to go to sleep. If so, this option would be the ideal solution for you. After all, the pad is small enough that you will be able to specifically target areas on your body whether it’s your knee, lower back, or somewhere else. This can help ensure you can get maximum relief.
Sunbeam is well known for producing some of the very best heated blankets in the marketplace. They are well versed in creating heated blankets with some of the top-selling options available.
This is one of their first swings at the weighted blanket market and they hit it out of the park with this product. This product is weighted with glass beads and it comes in at a good size at (54 x 73 inches). The cover is made out of extremely soft and comfortable microfiber and it even features a built-in slot for your arms to allow you to use your hands-free while you have it wrapped around your body.
While it’s not an electric blanket, it does offer ample warmth due to the cozy dual fabric design. The blanket is made of plush velvet and microfiber to ensure maximum comfort and heat retention. The blanket weighs in at 15-pounds which makes it perfect for someone looking for a blanket that offers more pressure.
Why It’s A Good Buy:
- Hand Slit. The unique design of the hand slit makes it the perfect option for those who are looking to wear the blanket while getting ready for bed. If you are looking to use the blanket while you are relaxing on the couch, you may want your hands-free to do other things.
- Comfortable. The blanket itself is one of the most comfortable you will find in the marketplace.
Once again, this isn’t an electric heated blanket, but it’s a standout weighted blanket. This blanket is one of the highest quality available in the marketplace and it’s priced as such. It comes in a variety of weights including 15, 20, and 25-pound options.
It also comes with a good size for a single person at (72″ x 48″). The blanket is made of micro-fleece and it is extremely comfortable.
The duvet cover is held on by the new zipper system which makes it extremely easy to use without worrying about weight distribution becoming a problem throughout the night.
Why It’s A Good Buy:
- Premium Materials. This blanket feels and looks premium. You won’t be disappointed when you feel it.
- Plenty Of Options. Unlike some of the other blankets, you have a range of options to choose from in regards to the weight’s the blanket is available at.
This is a good one for those who are looking for a basic weighted heating pad that they can use to target sore joints and muscles. This pad is meant to provide targeted heat and deep pressure stimulation to various aches and pains you may be experiencing. These pains could contribute to an inability to fall asleep or an inability to get quality sleep.
The pad offers 9 unique relaxing combinations and you will find that the weighted pressure provides the right amount of stimulation for relief. Also, it features vibration options which can help the heat penetrate deeper for greater relief.
Why It’s A Good Buy:
- Targeted Relief. If you are suffering from aches and pains that are causing you to be unable to fall asleep, this is what you want.
- Weighs Just Enough. The pad itself only weighs 4-pounds. However, this is enough when you have targeted a specific area on your body since the weight isn’t being distributed across your entire body.
As you can see, it is worth exploring weighted blankets for seniors who may be suffering from aches and pains or sleep issues. These blankets offer numerous benefits.
Only one manufacturer is currently producing combination blankets for sleep, but you will find a lot of weighted blankets that can retain sufficient warmth or that can provide targeted relief. You can’t go wrong with any of the options above.