- Recommended Toaster Safety Features
- Safe and Simple Toaster Ovens for Seniors
- Safe and Simple Toasters for Seniors
- Combination Models: Toasters with Multiple Functions
- How Can Toasters Help Elderly People?
- Special Note: Toasters for Dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ
- Summary and Final Recommendations
When people think of safety for the elderly, the kitchen probably isn’t the first to come to mind.But, handling hot sheet pans or bending over to get your food from the oven can be dangerous.
Acts as simple as making toast can present hazards for seniors.
Fortunately, there are many kitchen gadgets available that have been designed with special safety features in mind. Toasters and toaster ovens are especially safer than they used to be.
Being able to cook your own food provides you with a greater sense of independence and also the health benefits of a home-cooked meal. Investing in a great toaster or toaster oven should be part of the plan.
So, here are the best toasters and toaster ovens for elderly people to reduce the chance of kitchen accidents.
Recommended Toaster Safety Features
Toaster Safety Tips
1. Unplug your toaster when not in use and regularly check the wall socket for burn marks.
2. To clean your toaster, wipe it regularly. You should never submerge your toaster –or any other electrical gadget- in water or any other liquid.
3. Make sure to clean your crumb tray regularly to avoid fires.
4. Don’t leave your toaster or toaster oven unattended for long periods of time, and always make sure it’s turned off before leaving the house.
5. Don’t place anything but food inside the toaster’s bread slots.
Safe and Simple Toaster Ovens for Seniors
Based on my research and experience working with seniors, the best toaster ovens for seniors are:
Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster Oven (31128)
3 used from $72.91
- Easy access to food and countertop
- Easy to keep clean, food can't spill on door
- Digital control display: Simply choose toast, bake, broil, pizza or convection for more even cooking
- 5 Settings: Convection, Toast, Bake, Broil and Pizza
- Fits 6 slices of toast or a 12 inches pizza
This sleek, modern toaster oven / broiler from Hamilton Beach is a great option for your elderly loved one.
The unique Roll-Top door is the reason this is one of my favorites. It provides a large opening and makes it safe to reach in for food. This door moves up and out of the way to allow easy access to food even while it’s still cooking. It also makes it easier to take your food out of the toaster oven and into your plate once it’s done. All of this reduces the chance of a burn while using it.
This particular toaster oven model features five different cooking settings: convection, toast, bake, broil, and pizza. Activating the convection cooking setting will make a fan circulate heated air continuously around the food. This feature reduces average cooking time by up to 25%.
Check out the next model down for the simplified version of this model with less features.
This smart oven has a digital display that makes it easy to choose your desired setting. Its 60-minute timer with a ready bell and auto shutoff will keep its users safe while they cook.
The digital display is very easy to read and handle.
This toaster oven is also easy to clean, which is a big plus for many buyers. The Roll-Top door is removable, and makes it easier to clean the toaster oven. There is also a removable crumb tray that will make clean-up a breeze.
Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster Oven With Roll-Top Door (31344D)
$49.80 in stock
4 used from $34.57
- Easy access to food and countertop. The roll-top door moves up and out of the way so you can have safe, easy access to your food before, during and after cooking.
- Easy to keep clean. Door is up and out of the way of messy spills and drips.
- Bake, broil & toast. 2 rack positions and included bake pan makes it easy to get started on cooking a variety of foods.
- Fits 4 slices of toast or 9” pizza. Spacious interior gives you room for cooking everything from snacks to side dishes.
- Easy-to-use contoured knobs. Not only is this new design easier to maneuver, but they’re safer too.
This is the simplified version of the Hamilton Beach toaster oven above. It is really just about the safest toaster oven you’ll find.
It still has that great roll top door that I love and built-in timer with automatic shutoff for safety.
But it has simple to use knobs instead of digital button controls. The knobs are large and easy to turn too so elderly hands won’t have any problems using them. The print is a bit small though.
Also, it has less functions which makes it easy to use. There is no convection oven feature. It just does basic broiling, baking, and toasting.
Here’s a quick video from Hamilton Beach showing these features and options:
Zojirushi ET-WMC22 Toaster Oven, Black
1 used from $74.93
- Compact 2-slice toaster oven perfect for singles and small families
- Adjustable temperature setting from 175°F to 450°F allows for a variety of cooking
- Mesh rack reduces grill marks on foods for even toasting while minimizing falls between grills. Mesh rack also prevents mochi from dripping while baking
- Cooking guidelines imprinted on front door clearly indicate appropriate temperature and time for foods commonly cooked in toaster oven
- Easy-Maintenance Features: Glass door, mesh rack and crumb tray are all removable and washable
I like this option for a basic, simple toaster oven too.
First, I love the knobs on the front, they are large and easy to turn – even for seniors with arthritic hands. The white print around the buttons also contrasts nicely against the black. This printing is also a larger size than some of the others so it will be easier to read.
This model cooks for up to 30 minutes and it sounds a DING and turns itself off when the time is up. It has a handy built-in cheat sheet just inside the door that reminds you at what temperature you should cook certain foods and for how long.
Finally, clean up is easy on the one. The door, mesh rack, and crumb tray are all removable for quick and easy cleaning.
BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Countertop Toaster Oven (TO1322SBD)
2 used from $31.48
- EvenToast Technology - The toaster oven interior is specially designed for even toasting of up to 4 slices of bread at a time.
- 9” Pizza, 4 Slices of Bread - The compact toaster oven fits nicely on the countertop, while the curved interior makes room for 9” pizzas and 4 slices of bread.
- Four Functions - The stainless steel toaster oven’s cooking functions include: baking, broiling, toasting, and keeping food warm.
- 30-Minute Timer - The timer includes precise toast settings and stay-on functionality.
- Removable Crumb Tray - Keep the toaster oven clean with the convenient removable crumb tray.
This is your basic toaster oven for warming, making toast, or frozen pizzas and snacks. Not many bells and whistles. But, for most senior and elderly people, that’s just what you want.
The knobs are good-sized and easy for seniors to use. The print around them could be bigger and bolder. It’s a bit difficult to read I think.
It has a warm setting for quickly warming hamburger buns and more delicate items. There is a 30 minute timer that dings and shuts off when the time is up.
One caution for you: this toaster oven does have a “Stay On” setting. If you turn the bottom knob to the right, it works as a timer. But, if you turn it all the way to the left, it will stay on until you turn it off. This could be hazardous for some seniors – especially if they are at risk for walking off and forgetting about it. At best, the food will burn. At worst, there could be a fire.
Cleaning is a bit more difficult for this one too. The door is not removable but there is a removable crumb catcher.
Safe and Simple Toasters for Seniors
Based on my experience working with seniors and hours of research, the best toasters for seniors are:
Cuisinart Touch to Toast Leverless 2-Slice Toaster (CPT-420)
- Stainless-steel housing with a motorized lift. BPA free
- Lcd countdown feature with a blue backlit led function display, Voltage: 120V
- Enhanced bagel toasting with cancel, defrost and reheat options
- Easy cord wrap for minimal use of your counter space
- Toaster comes with a 3 year limited warranty
This toaster has a wide range (7!) different cooking settings which will allow you to customize the level of browning on your toast.
Its bagel function will also provide bagels with crispy tops and soft bottoms. It also features defrost and reheat functions, which will let you cook more than just toast! The defrost setting makes this a great option to cook frozen pancakes, waffles, and other refrigerated breads and pastries.
This toaster features extra-wide slots, which can fit items such as sliced bread, French toast, pancakes, and other pastries. Clean up is made simple thanks to a removable crumb tray. There is also a cord wrap hidden under the toaster so that power cords aren’t left hanging around your counter when you’re not using the toaster.
A motorized, leverless lifting mechanism will ensure that your toast always pops up right in time and doesn’t get stuck. No need to fool with a lever to lower or raise the food. The toaster also features a digital interface with easy-to-use buttons and a countdown time for extra safety. This gadget will also emit a beeping sound to let you know when you toast is ready! These additional features make this one of the best and safest toasters for elderly people you will find online.
Here’s a quick demo of this easy to use toaster from Cuisinart:
Hamilton Beach Cool Wall 2-Slice Toaster (22623)
5 used from $12.59
- Perfect for your favorite thick-cut bread or bagel: extra-wide slots in this 2 slice toaster fit your favorite thick-cut bread, bagels, or anything else you want to toast.
- The perfect toast every time: Make your toast exactly the way you like it with the convenient toast shade selector.
- Auto shutoff: the auto shutoff feature and cancel button adds peace of mind to your busy mornings. Multitask without worrying about leaving breads or bagels cooking in the toaster.
- Keep cords under wraps: convenient cord storage keeps your toaster plug up and out of the way, making for safe and easy clean up and a clear counter.
- Toast boosting technology: lifts your Toasted breads and bagels high when they're ready so you can easily retrieve them.
This toaster is simple but will cover all your toasting needs.
Choose from seven different toast shades by simply turning a knob to make sure your toast comes out exactly as you like it. Its self-centering guides will make sure that, no matter the width of your bread, it will stay in the perfect toasting position.
Cleaning this toaster is simple thanks to its swing-down crumb tray which will keep your countertops neat and tidy. One-touch buttons will let you select your desired cooking function in just a second.
The lever on this toaster can be lifted an additional inch to provide easy and safe access to your toast once it’s done.
Dash 2 Slice Extra Wide Slot Easy Cool Touch Toaster (DEZT001RD)
- More than toast: 2 slice Extra wide slots and 5 Browning levels (including defrost setting) allow you to diversify your breakfast; makes toasting bagels, specialty breads, waffles, and other baked goods A snap
- Portable + lightweight: weighing only 2 lbs The Dash easy toaster is your must-have for that first apartment, smaller kitchen, college dorm life, or camper/RV traveling
- Cool touch: the cool touch toaster lever and non-slip feet makes your appliance easy to use and kid-friendly; the crumb tray slides out for a quick clean up, and the outer surface is all wipe-clean
- Perfect gift: the perfect wedding or new home gift. Its small size takes up little counter space, and its sleek design and trendy color options will match any kitchen décor (add to your registry now! )
- : backed by a 1-year manufacturer , The Dash easy toaster includes recipe book and recipe database access (all non-electric parts are easily wiped clean). Available in Red or aqua
This Dash Cool Touch toaster stays cool on the outside to reduce the chances of burn. There are two colors to choose from too.
It is also easy to operate with the large black knob and easy to read white print. There is even a cancel button front and center in case anything goes wrong.
The lever could be more apparent though. For design purposes, it meets the upper edge of the toaster and blends in even though it is a different color. This could confuse some elderly people.
It is very lightweight – only 2 lbs. So, if the user has to move it frequently or lifts it often, this one won’t be a problem.
Combination Models: Toasters with Multiple Functions
Hamilton Beach 2-in-1 Countertop Oven and Long Slot Toaster (31156)
4 used from $49.89
- 2 in 1 Combination: do more in less space with this countertop oven. Bake, broil, and toast by easily switching cooking modes with the slide of a lever
- Toast 40 percent faster: the 2 in 1 toaster oven toasts breads 40 percentage faster than the leading toaster oven, which means you can get your sliced bread Warm and crispy, quick
- Spacious interior: with 2 rack positions and a Large interior that Fits a 9inch pizza, this toaster oven is perfect for making muffins, baked potatoes, casseroles, and more
- Separate shade selector: 2 in 1 toaster oven gives you more control so you can reach the perfect level of golden brown toast
- 60 Minute timer with auto shutoff: set toaster oven timer up to 60 minutes with peace of mind. The auto shutoff turns the oven off when baking time is reached. There’s no need to worry about overcooking or leaving the oven on
This two in one combination combines a toaster oven with a standard “pop-up” toaster in the top.
This model has a toaster built right into the top of it that toasts the way most seniors are familiar with. There is a simple, well labeled switch at the top right of the oven that changes mode. The toaster has several settings from lightly toasted to darker toasts.
The oven has the basic toaster oven features that I’ve talked about with the other models. Careful though, this one does have a “stay on” setting if the bottom knob is turned all the way.
Check out this video to see it in action:
Nostalgia Retro 3-in-1 Family Size Breakfast Station (BSET300RETRORED)
$60.93 in stock
2 used from $54.84
- Large family size non-stick griddle
- Coffee maker brews up to 4-cups of coffee at a time
- Toasts up to 4-slices of bread at a time. Includes 30 minute timer with automatic shutoff
- Removable oven tray and non-stick griddle for easy cleaning
- Multi-function toaster oven bakes, toasts and reheats food
Here’s a fun item that some seniors will love. This all in one breakfast station is a staple in dorm rooms but has some uses in the kitchens of seniors too.
With this one device, you can make coffee, cook meats and eggs on the griddle, and make toast or biscuits in the oven.
RELATED GUIDE: Best Coffee Makers for Seniors
While this is a very convenient option, there are a few caveats.
Look closely at the controls. They are easy for most seniors to understand but multiple knobs and switches have to be used for proper use. Otherwise the product may not work correctly or at all.
I’d encourage you to watch this video and make sure you or the senior in your life can use it safely.
How Can Toasters Help Elderly People?
Being able to cook their own meals will afford your elderly loved one a greater sense of independence and accomplishment. Cooking can even become their new hobby! Toasters and toaster ovens provide a safe alternative to hot pots and pans, which can cause accidents and injuries.
Today, most toasters come with an array of features that allow them to cook more than just simple toasted bread. From heating crispy bagels, to defrosting waffles and pancakes, this gadgets will let your loved one choose from a variety of baked goods. Combined with different fillings and toppings, these foods can make for a balanced, hearty meal.
Toaster ovens are even more versatile. A toaster oven can do the same things as a traditional oven – minus the danger. These electrical ovens will let your loved one make cakes, muffins, pizzas, cookies, and even broil chicken and other types of meat! Their small size make them easier to clean, and seniors with back pain won’t have to bend over to take their food out of the oven. Features such as timers, alarms, and automatic shut off will help keep your elderly loved one safe while they cook delicious meals.
These gadgets are also useful if you eat frozen foods. Simply touch a few buttons and wait while your frozen meal heats up. After that, it’s ready for you to enjoy! These are all wonderful reasons to go on the hunt for the best toaster for elderly people.
Special Note: Toasters for Dementia and Alzheimer’s
If your elderly loved one suffers from a neurodegenerative disease such as dementia or Alzheimer’s, make sure to keep an eye on them while they are in the kitchen.
Depending on the severity of their condition, they might still be able to prepare some recipes on their own. However, you should never leave them to handle any kitchen gadgets unattended.
Something as simple as placing a finger or fork inside the toaster could lead to a preventable accident.
If they are still in the early stages of their disease, you can cook meals together. This allows them a certain degree of autonomy over their dietary choices but you can help keep an eye on things.
For seniors with dementia or Alzheimers, look for gadgets that have simple settings and buttons. Also, features like auto shutoff systems are best for these folks too.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ
A toaster will do exactly what its name suggests: toast bread. These simple gadgets have evolved, however, and you can use them to toast or thaw different frozen baked goods. There are also models that offer large capacities which will let you toast 4 to 8 slices of bread at the same time. However, they are still much simpler than toaster ovens, since their main function is simply making perfect toast every time.
Toaster ovens, on the other hand, are bigger gadgets that have the functionalities of both toasters and traditional ovens. You can still make toast in these ovens, but you can also bake, broil, and cook a huge variety of meals. Thus, they tend to have a larger number of features than simple toasters.
Even though toasters are electrical devices, there are still some dangers inherent to their use.
- Placing anything inside the toaster’s slots can lead to a severe electric shock which could even endanger your life.
- Letting bread crumbs accumulate inside the crumb tray can lead to a fire.
- Submerging a toaster in water can generate electric shocks.
According to First Choice Power, they do use less electricity than a standard electric oven. They also say that microwave ovens use less electricity than both toaster ovens and standard oven ranges.
Summary and Final Recommendations
So, there you have it! Some of the best toasters for elderly people. Owning a toaster or toaster oven will allow seniors to add variety to their diet and make their own meals. These are all great options, but I just love the Cuisinart CPT-420 at Amazon. It is a bit pricier than some of its competitors, but the quality and amount of features mean that this will be a great investment. Of course, there are many other great options in the market.
Now that you know which features to look for, it will be much easier to choose a toaster that will keep your loved ones safe while letting them enjoy cooking! Do you have a toaster that you recommend for seniors? Let us know in the comments below.