- Video Guide: Non-Slip Shower Shoes for the Elderly
- How Shower Shoes Improve Shower Safety For Seniors
- Features of the Best Shower Shoes for the Elderly
- Avoid These Styles of Shower Shoes
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- Reviews of My Top Shower Shoe Top Picks
- Summary and Final Recommendations
I never shower in public without wearing shower shoes.
Many people use them as a way to keep their feet safe when they’re in a public area with plenty of water.
So, why not use them at home in the shower as well?
Then that got me thinking. They are also a great safety tool to reduce the chance of elderly people falling in the shower!
So, I put in some research on the issue and found the best non-slip shower shoes for the elderly. And… here they are!
Video Guide: Non-Slip Shower Shoes for the Elderly
How Shower Shoes Improve Shower Safety For Seniors
I know, wearing shoes in the shower might seem like a crazy idea. Of course, I thought it was odd at first too.
That’s until I realized that these shoes serve a number of uses. Not only for myself but especially for seniors.
One of the biggest risks that we all face in the shower is slipping and hurting ourselves. This risk is far more severe for a senior who could be seriously hurt if they fell.
In public places, they help protect against bacteria and germs that are spread in the water. This is also important for seniors who may have a weakened immune system. Whether at home or at the pool, they can make a big difference.
You might not be sure what to look for if this is your first time shopping for them. I know was clueless my first time. I’ve gained a lot of experience since then and can share what I’ve learned.
Features of the Best Shower Shoes for the Elderly
Here are some important features to look for when shopping around.
1. Lightweight Materials For Easy Wearing
When shopping for an elderly wearer, look for lightweight materials. You don’t want a heavy, klunky shower show that may drag if the senior has any weakness in their legs or feet.
The ideal materials for the uppers are nylon mesh, PVC (plastic), and EVA. EVA is that rubbery resin that most high end tennis shoes use for their soles.
2. Non-Slip Bottoms to Reduce Slips and Falls
The biggest danger though is slipping and breaking a bone. The best shoes are designed with patterns on the bottom that create traction with the ground.
Combine that with the right materials and you’ve got yourself a slip-resistant shoe even in wet conditions. Look for non-slip materials like rubber and EVA. These both add some grippiness to the the sole but are also flexible.
Flexibility is important for reducing the change of the fall because it makes the wearer less likely to trip and fall.
3. Tight (But Not Overly Tight) Fit With Secure Heel
Finding the perfect fit can be difficult but not impossible.
You want a shoe that has a snug fit but isn’t tight enough to cut off blood flow. It should also feel secure around the heel. This means avoiding certain types that are open in the back.
4. Quick Drying With Lots of Drainage Holes
The last thing you want is for water to pool up inside the shoe.
A good shower shoe has a number of holes in strategic locations. The point of these holes is simple. It lets the water drain out of the shoe.
For example, I’ve seen some low-quality brands out there that don’t have enough holes and fill with water. This creates a very unpleasant experience in the shower.
Avoid These Styles of Shower Shoes
Now that you know which features are the most important, let’s look at the features you want to avoid.
1. Fancy Fabrics And Foam Materials
I enjoy the feel of a comfortable fabric as much as the next guy, but they are no good when it comes to shower shoes.
Comfort isn’t exactly a top priority when shopping. That’s not to say they are very uncomfortable. Just that the best brands are made from nylons, plastics and rubbers. That’s because these materials won’t absorb water and need to be dried.
2. Expensive Shoes With Fancy Designs
Style is less important than safety for seniors. Remember that safety is your main concern.
Affordable shoes with the features above will improve your in the shower. A basic design is more than enough to keep you safe at the pool as well.
Don’t waste extra money on fancy designs. They don’t tend to last long in the water and it ends up feeling like an expensive loss.
3. Loose Styles Like Sandals or Flip-flops
Sandals and flip-flops are very common shower shoe options. But they aren’t good options for older people.
You should avoid these types of shoes because they don’t provide the firm fit you need to stay stable in the shower. Leave the sandals to the younger generation.
Why risk falling in the shower just so that you can wiggle your toes? Instead, find shoes that fit firmly and support the heel.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Beach shoes and shower shoes are often the same thing. There’s no clear definition for any category. Because some people call a regular sandal a type of shower shoe or beach shoe. But others only consider closed shoes to be shower shoes. It doesn’t matter what the store uses to label the shoe. As long as it is slip-resistant, designed to wear on land and in water, and fits snugly, then it should work.
A shower shoe should stay free of mildew as long as it’s made from the right material. If it has foam or fabric in the design, then it will need to be dried to avoid mildew. This is why it’s a good idea to only use plastic or rubber. They are more durable, naturally slip-resistant, and won’t become a breeding ground for mold.
I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve nearly fallen trying to put on my shower shoes. If I could go back and give myself advice it would be to sit down. Always take a seat when putting them on or off. It might seem inconvenient at the time, but it can save you from serious back pain or a loss of balance. The good news is that you should have a seat near your shower and you can leave the shoes in the bathroom.
Reviews of My Top Shower Shoe Top Picks
Use the buttons below to see only the shoes that have the features you are most interested in. Or, keep scrolling to read them all.
Secure SRSS-1L Slip Resistant Shower Shoes
- The Secure Slip-Resistant Shower Shoes are ideal for use in nursing homes, hospitals, at home, dorms, gym locker rooms & hotels
- Heavy duty grooved soles independently tested & proven to resist slipping on wet surfaces (Contact Personal Safety Corp. for slip-resistant test results)
- Soft, comfortable nylon mesh uppers - No inside back seam to create heel skin issues - No inside front toe seam to create toe skin issues
- Expanded soft foot opening for comfort & user or staff member to easily place shower shoes on feet - Higher back on uppers to minimize slippers coming off feet when worn
- Sized for men and women - MEDIUM: (Women's sizes 6-8, Men's sizes 5-7), LARGE: (Women's sizes 9-11, Men's sizes 7-9), X-LARGE: (Men's sizes 10-12)
I think these are the ideal shower shoes for older folks. But, they are definitely a “function over style” choice.
The upper is a lightweight nylon mesh that has lots of drainage holes for quick drying. They also fit securely because to the elastic band around the top opening. The grooved sole has been tested for its slip resistance and is soft and flexible.
There aren’t perfect though. White is the only color choice though and they may not fit people with extra small or extra large feet because of limited sizing.
clapzovr Mens Sandals Shower Shoes
$16.89 in stock
- SOFT COMFORTABLE FLAT SANDALS QUICK DRY:Breathable PVC draining holes athletic water sandals durable perspiration moisture-proof , eco-friendly
- LIGHTWEIGHT NON SLIP EVA SOLE: Water aerobic massage shoes good cushioning nice for long walks and hiking sandals well grip on the ground pavement and rock
- REMOVABLE FOOTBED EASY CLEAN: Perfect mens summer camp shoes beach sandals , hostels gym shower cute water hiking shoes
- SLIP ON MENS AQUA SHOES EASY ON AND OFF: Comfy boys youth sandals will not be coming off in the water sports
- CLOSED TOE SANDALS ANTI SKID PROTECT FOOT : Great for Waterfall hike , park resort vacation Fishing , trip Surfing , Boating , Kayaking canoeing and other activities
These traditional water shoes are a great choice for active senior men.
They check off every box on my recommended feature list as you can see. There are also 6 different color choices too!
Some seniors though may find the PVC upper a little irritating and uncomfortable. Especially those with swollen feet. The upper is soft and flexible but not stretchy enough to accommodate feet swelling.
IceUnicorn Unisex Water Shoes Quick Dry Swim Aqua Barefoot Socks
$13.89 in stock
- Non-slip Rubber Soft Sole: Non slip water socks which keep you from slipping. These soft sole are convenient and easy to store or pack in your suitcase in your trip with your bags.
- High Quality Fabric: 92% polyester and 8% spandex upper, soft and quick-dry, let your feet feel breathable and comfortable.
- Comfortable and Free Feeling:Ultra light weight stretchy material allows user to easily put on and take off,to provide you with a comfortable feeling.
- Fashion Pattern:Multiple patterns and color to meet the different needs of your different scenarios.
- Occasion:Beach, swimming, pool, weight training, wake-boarding, sailing, boating, cycling, jogging, walking, fishing, beach volleyball, gardening, lawn, car-washing and driving, surf, scuba, snorkeling, beach walking, yoga, weatherboarding, kayaking, windsurfing, fin socks, shower, bathroom and etc
This is another “water sock” style that I like a little better than the VIFUUR model. Especially for active seniors.
It has lots of style options too. But, if you are concerned about quick dry fabrics, choose one of the mesh styles.
The mesh styles are also have more stretch to them so they will be easier to put on and take off. They will also give a little more for swelling too.
VIFUUR Water Sports Unisex/Kids Shoes Black
- Recommended 1: CONVENIENCE - Smooth neck design prevents chafing when wearing our water shoes. It is convenient to wear and take off.
- Recommended 2: COMFORTABLE FIT -- Breathable and smooth fabrics with fine stretch on uppers. Like socks, flexible and comfortable.
- Recommended 3: RUBBER OUTSOLE & FOOT SAFETY -- Wearable and top-quality rubber sole, which protects your feet from being hurt by sharp objects.
- Recommended 4: OCCASION - Yoga Training, beach, swimming, pool, weight training, wake-boarding, sailing, boating, kayaking, windsurfing, cycling, jogging, walking, fishing, beach volleyball, gardening, lawn, car-washing and driving. Family outings!
- Tips：VARIOUS SIZE AVAILABLE -- fit different feet,little kids, big kids,men,women are available.
The traditional water sock type of water shoe is also another great choice for more active seniors.
They meet most of my suggestions but they may not work well for some seniors. They are designed to fit very tightly. So, taking them on and off is more difficult than some of the others. People with swollen feet should avoid them too.
The manufacturer states they are quick drying but most of the style choices (over 40 of them!) are fabric. These fabric uppers are solid without the drain holes.
Amoji Unisex Gardening Clogs Water Shoes
- An extensive line of brightly colored, sometimes wildly patterned, molded-resin clog-style sandals,Amoji are some of the most enjoyable outdoor-activity shoes imaginable.
- Ventilation ports for breathability and water drainage.
- Easy to clean,wash up in 31 seconds and quick to dry.
- Roomy fit,generous in width and length.
- The lightweight, ergonomically designed shoes for men, women, and children mold themselves to the foot and offer superb support, while the nonslip soles grip the walking surface and strategically placed holes provide cooling ventilation and allow water, sand, or air that enters the shoe to leave it easily.
I’ve had some requests to add a clog style shower shoe and this is the best I have found.
Generally, I don’t like this style because they aren’t secure on the heel. This means they could fall off more easily or move while being walked on. This increases the chance of a fall.
The Amoji shoe does have a small lip on the back of the shoe that will help with this – somewhat. Avoid this shoe though if you or your loved one has balance problems or any leg weakness or medical problems that increases your fall risk.
Crocs Men's and Women's Classic Clog
- CROCS FOR EVERYONE: With a color and style for every personality, the Classic Clogs are the Crocs women and men need to start a comfort revolution around the world
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND FUN: The Crocs for men and women feature lightweight Iconic Crocs Comfort. Ventilation ports add breathability and help shed water and debris quickly and the massage pod footbed offers added comfort
- DESIGNED TO FIT: These slip on clogs are easy to take on and off, while being extremely durable; These Crocs even offer pivoting heel straps for a more secure fit
- WEAR FOR ANY OCCASION: These men's and women's Crocs serve as great house shoes but also ideal for the beach, pool, gym, shower, walking or even gardening
- CROCS FOR WOMEN AND MEN: The Crocs Classic Clogs are not only the most comfortable shoes for women and men but also easy to clean just using soap and water and allowing for a quick dry
Here’s an option if you want something that doesn’t look like a water shoe: Crocs!
This Crocs model is waterproof and could be used in the shower. It is lightweight with a non-slip synthetic sole. These shoes will dry quickly too.
But, be cautious with the fit. Make sure the heel strap is located on the back of the heel and fits snugly to keep the shoe from falling off or moving.
Also, these won’t be as flexible as traditional shower shoes. So, avoid these if you shuffle when you walk or have balance problems.
SUOKENI Women's Quick Drying Slip On Water Shoes for Beach or Water Sports LightGray,Size:US 7/EU 38
- Quick Drying : Water shoes with open mesh upper and holed sole provides full range of drainage systems, drain off water and sweat in a very short time, keep your feet comfortable
- The super lightweight, soft and elastic sole, which can protect the feet as well as enhance the stability and comfort.Perfect sports shoes for beach and water sports.
- Professional anti slip outsole with strong track adhesion, even in the water can also provide a reliable grasping performance.Can also be used as a walking shoes for your daily walking.
- Good toe protection, can easily cope with the different conditions.
- Full covering design, evenly wrap your feet, to fit your feet and to protect your feet much better than other water shoes.
For senior women who want safety and some style, take a look at these athletic shower shoes. From a distance, they look like regular sneakers. But they meet every one of my suggestions.
You could easily wear these shoes to and from the gym and while working out and them walk them right into the shower. No need to be self conscious about them either.
There are 15 style and color designs and all of them have quick drying mesh with drainage holes.
Kenswalk Men's Aqua Shoes
|Color||081 Black White|
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 8011560028771|
|Package Dimensions||Height: 390; Length: 1299; Weight: 60; Width: 480|
|Product Type Name||SHOES|
|Title||Kenswalk Men's Aqua Water Shoes Lightweight Quick Drying Beach Shoes(9.5 M US,081 Black White)|
For senior men who want a shoe that looks good but improves their safety, take a look at these.
They check off every box on my recommended features list. But, they look like athletic shoes, especially from a distance.
This is a shower shoe you can use inside and outside of the shower. You could easily wear it in and out of the gym or pool without feeling self-conscious.
I recommend these for more active seniors without mobility problems or balance issues.
ALEADER Women's Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes New Mint 7.5 D(M) US
- Breathable and durable air mesh upper allow the foot to breathe
- Solyte midsole provides an exceptionally lightweight midsole with excellent bounce-back and durability
- Water Drain outsole provides exceptional traction in wet and slippery conditions
- ComforDry sockliner provides the optimum cushioning performance that creates a cooler, drier and healthier shoe environment.
- Open mesh on the upper and hole on the sole provides for superior breathability and quick drying
Here is another great choice for senior women who need an athletic looking water or shower shoe for the gym or home.
The open mesh has lots of holes for drainage and also includes a special liner that helps the insole dry quicker. This also makes it softer and more comfortable too!
Plus, it has all my other recommended features too!
There are even 29 different styles to choose from! So, you are sure to find a style you’ll like.
eyeones Water Shoes for Men and Women
- Quick drying : Water shoes with open mesh upper and holed sole provides full range of drainage systems, drain off water and sweat in a very short time, keep your feet comfortable.
- Comfortable and breathable : The super lightweight, soft and elastic sole, which can protect the feet as well as enhance the stability and comfort.Perfect sports shoes for beach and water sports.
- Portable Shoelace : Adjust the elastic shoelace quickly according to the tightness of the foot to avoid your surf water shoes from falling off.
- Dual-porpose sport water shoes:This mens womens water shoes almost retains all the advantages of sport shoes,so it's not just a pair of aqua shoes,but can be used as casual walking shoes in summer.
- Occasion : Perfect aqua sports shoes for beach and water sports.Beach, surf, barefoot,boating,swim,sailing and other water sport.
These unisex athletic water shoes could also be used by the elderly in the shower for safety. They have all of my suggested features.
I also like that the tightness of the show is adjustable through the elastic shoe strings. This is useful for making sure the shoes aren’t too loose to keep them from falling off. Think about this if you have narrow feet.
There are 8 styles to choose from but they are variants of white, gray, and black patterns.
Summary and Final Recommendations
Shower shoes like these can be an important part of a shower safety plan for seniors. Non-slip bath mats are also helpful in reducing falls. In addition to footwear, also consider using a shower chair, shower transfer benches, and handheld shower heads.
When you are choosing a shower shoe, look for shoes that aren’t likely to fall off while walking, that are slip resistant on wet surfaces, quick drying, and lightweight.
Looking for other bathroom accessories for seniors? Check out more suggestions in this guide.
If you have any questions or your own suggestions, please leave them in the comments below. If you found this information helpful, please share with your friends on social media! Happy shopping!