As a Senior Home Safety Specialist, I’m always on the lookout for convenient products that make life safer for seniors. Today, I’m excited to share my experience with the Ta-Da chair from Step2Gold. They were kind enough to send one over so I could look closer and tell you all about it.
As someone who understands the importance of a trusty walking aid, I was intrigued by this innovative design—a cane that transforms into a chair when you need a rest. I’ve unpacked it, and I’m impressed with its convenient carrying case, sturdy design, and the thoughtful inclusion of safety information and clear instructions for use.
STEP2GOLD Ta-Da Chair Series 2 Portable Walking Stick
- The Ta-Da chair is a cane that conveniently transforms into a seat.
- It's lightweight yet supports up to 300 pounds, fitting a range of user heights.
- SIdeal for occasional sitting during outdoor activities, ensuring safety and stability.
- Comfortable ergonomic handle
- Versatile sizing options
- Easy transport with shoulder strap
- Not for full-time cane replacement
- Care needed when folding
The Ta-Da chair may look like a simple cane, but it’s much more than that. With a D-shaped handle and a wide rubber-treaded bottom, it provides reliable support.
Not only is the handle easy to grip, but it also features a handy hook that comes out, perfect for hanging the cane when I’m outdoors to prevent it from falling over.
Converting the cane into a seat is incredibly straightforward. A little latch releases the seat, which measures about 9 by 10 inches and supports up to 300 lbs. The entire cane is impressively lightweight, around two pounds, balancing portability and strength.
It’s crucial, however, to sit with the handle between my legs and not lean back, for safety. To return it to cane form, I just lift by the built-in handle, fold it back, and it’s ready to go.
Using the Ta-Da Chair
Remember to sit with the handle between your legs, facing forward when you’re looking to take a seat on the Ta-Da Chair. Don’t sit sideways or lean back—those aren’t safe positions.
I always make sure to sit on level ground and let the rubber texture stoppers do their job to prevent any slips.
- Safety First: Handle between your legs, facing forward
- Level Ground: Only sit on flat surfaces to maintain stability
- Rubber Stoppers: These ensure the chair doesn’t slip while you’re seated
Folding up the Ta-Da Chair is just as simple as opening it. Take hold of the built-on handle at the top, and lift to fold the seat smoothly back into its cane form. Be sure your fingers steer clear of the mechanism to avoid pinching.
- Unlock and Fold: Lift the handle at the top to collapse the seat
- Secure: Make certain the latch clicks to lock it securely for cane use
- Size Selection: Choose from small, medium, or large based on your height for a perfect fit
Remember, this device is easy to carry at just two pounds, supports up to 300 pounds, and offers an ample seating area. It’s not my suggestion for a full-time cane, but it’s excellent for occasional outdoor use. And let’s not overlook the handy storage bag!
Choosing the Right Size
Height and Weight Guidelines
When you’re selecting a Ta-Da chair, it’s crucial to pick the correct height for your safety and comfort. I’ve found three size options: small, medium, and large. Here’s the breakdown:
- Small: Suitable for individuals between 4’11” and 5’4″.
- Medium: Designed for those standing from 5’5″ to 5’10”.
- Large: Best fit for heights ranging from 5’11” to 6’5″.
To use the Ta-Da chair safely, you must be below 300 lbs. It’s lightweight, just around two pounds, making it easy to carry without sacrificing its sturdy support. The seat itself measures about 9 by 10 inches, which I found spacious enough for a comfortable rest.
Remember to sit with the handle between your legs facing forward to maintain stability. Avoid leaning back or sitting sideways, as these are unsafe. Lift the built-on handle to fold it back effortlessly into a cane. Always check that your hands are clear of the mechanism while folding and unfolding to prevent pinching. Choose the right size based on your height, and you’ll have a reliable companion for your walks and hikes.
When you unfold the Ta-Da chair to use it as a seat, ensure the latch is secure. Sit with the cane handle between your legs, facing forward. Never lean back or sit sideways as that’s not safe.
Always use the Ta-Da chair on level ground to prevent tipping over. The rubber-textured stoppers are great but can’t prevent slips on uneven surfaces. Keep it steady and sit straight.
While folding the chair back into a cane, lift the seat by the handle to keep your fingers clear of the mechanism. It snaps shut easily, and then it’s ready to support you as a cane again. Always be careful when handling the folding mechanism.
Summary and Use Cases
I imagine taking this cane-chair hybrid out for walks or hikes. It offers stability when walking and the ability to sit and rest when needed. It’s not intended as a full-time cane replacement but a fantastic option for occasional outdoor use.
My personal tip: Always sit with the handle between your legs to maintain balance, and only use the seat on level ground. Remember, the seat’s inclusive design means it works for a broad range of heights, so choosing the correct size for your height is crucial.
I’ve personally tested the Ta-Da Chair from Step2Gold, and it’s quite a handy accessory. With a seat that unfolds in seconds, you have a portable place to rest on the go. It’s designed to be lightweight yet can hold up to 300 pounds, which is impressive for its two-pound frame. I found the seating area to be spacious enough at 9 by 10 inches.
Key Features I Liked:
- Ergonomic Handle: The D-shaped handle is comfortable to grip, and the clever hook design is perfect for hanging the cane off a table edge when not in use.
- Versatile Sizing: Whether you’re under 5’4″ or over 6′, there’s a size for you. I stress the importance of choosing the correct one for stability and comfort.
- Ease of Transport: The included shoulder strap bag makes it perfect for travel or a stroll in the park. Plus, it collapses back into a cane effortlessly.
Safety tip: Remember to sit with the handle between your legs to maintain balance. And always unfold it on level ground to avoid falls. While I wouldn’t replace my everyday cane with this, it’s excellent for those outdoor moments when you might need a quick break. It’s been a pleasure sharing my experience, hoping it adds a bit of convenience to your adventures.