Sleep disturbance is one of the most common symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease. You may also experience many other symptoms, like sensory processing difficulties, slow movements, tremors, and joint stiffness. Anxiety is another aspect of this disease that you need to deal with. All these things affect your sleep terribly. It’s as if you are twisting and turning throughout the night but can’t get a moment’s sleep.
Thankfully, weighted blankets can solve this problem. The deep pressure stimulation technology of weighted blankets reduces anxiety and controls your sensory processing. This means you won’t twist and turn as frequently as you used to before using a weighted blanket.
Some of the adverse effects of stress and anxiety due to Parkinson’s include issues you’re your respiratory, cardiovascular, and immune systems. They also affect your digestive system significantly. According to a study by the International Essential Tremor Foundation, weighted blankets prevent you from moving around in your bed. This type of blanket rests your brain as soon as you lie down.
The extra weight of a weighted blanket triggers the deep pressure sensation to calm your brain nerves down. It relaxes your central nervous system by offering a body-hugging feeling. Various studies suggest that weighted blankets increase your melatonin level (sleep hormone) and decrease your cortisol level (stress hormone).
You experience sound sleep every night that was missing from your life.
What are the Best Blankets for Parkinson’s Disease?
If you want a best-value weighted blanket because of your Parkinson’s, don’t look any further. Buy the Weighted Idea Blanket for Adults right away. It offers quality sleep to those with Parkinson’s and those suffering from insomnia, anxiety, and restless leg syndrome.
Although the weight is slightly more than you would expect, it doesn’t suffocate you once you are under it. You feel like a giant bear hug on using this blanket. Using a weighted blanket over time will reduce anxiety and panic attack symptoms. And most importantly, improve your quality of sleep also.
Temperature control is another aspect of this blanket that gives it an edge over its competitors. The cotton and microfiber materials prevent you from becoming sweaty while sleeping.
- Made of 100% cotton
- Glass beads are sewn into individual pockets to distribute weight evenly
- Two microfiber layers that prevent you from feeling hot
- OEKO-registered, meaning it is hypoallergenic and doesn’t contain harmful chemicals
- Available in three sizes, four weights, and four different colors
- Relaxes your body so that you can sleep peacefully
Are you buying your first weighted blanket for Parkinson’s and don’t want to invest a fortune in it? If yes, you should definitely buy the Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket. This budget blanket has many of the features that a high-end weighted blanket has.
The removable minky duvet cover ensures that you can wash it separately. Its soft, comforting, and warm hug feeling are everything that a Parkinson’s patient needs to sleep well.
This blanket has ties that prevent it from sliding from your bed. Some weighted blankets tend to slide off when you turn on your side, but not this one. The weight distribution is excellent in this blanket. It doesn’t make you feel smothered or hot because of the added weight. Parkinson’s patients who have already used this blanket say that they fall asleep quicker than before.
- Made of premium fabric
- Neither too heavy nor too hot to make you feel uncomfortable
- Minky duvet is removable
- Feels like a warm bear hug that offers sensory stimulation if your mind races after lying down in bed
- Lead-free glass bead technology
The Mosaic Weighted Blanket provides a body-hugging feeling as soon as you go under it. According to the manufacturers, the technology is meant to offer a soothing feeling, almost as if someone is cradling you gently and trying to put you to sleep.
People with Parkinson’s Disease often need to calm their minds down, and this blanket does just that. It can elevate anxiety by making you fall asleep faster than you normally do. Those who have already tried and tested this blanket say that you can expect to fall asleep within minutes.
Your body starts relaxing simultaneously with your mind once you use this blanket.
- Weight is evenly distributed using small, quilted squares
- Machine washable and long-lasting
- Plush, minky soft fabric
The BUZIO Weighted Blanket may seem lightweight, but that’s where it amazes you. Even though the weight seems light, it does its job of putting you to sleep really quickly. It doesn’t overwhelm you with its weight or size. The best part is you can return the blanket if you don’t like it. This is one of the fewest blankets that come with a 100% returnable offer.
The appropriate size and well-distributed weight ensure that you don’t sweat after putting the blanket on. Like the previous model, this one also comes with bed ties. That means it won’t slide down your body even if you turn multiple times while sleeping.
Apart from using this blanket as your full-time blanket, you can also use it as your throw blanket for your couch. The crystal beads provide the added, but it isn’t too much to make you feel suffocated.
- Non-toxic, skin-friendly, and breathable fabric makes this blanket one of the most comfortable within its price range.
- There are four sizes, four colors, and eight weights available.
- It has a five-layer structure, thus making the blanket feel thinner and breathable than the ones that come with seven layers.
Parkinson’s often leads to physical and emotional distress. It keeps your mind racing 24 x 7. This leads to disturbance in your mind while you attempt to sleep. Bring home the YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket for Adults if you can’t.
It can make a world of difference to your quality of sleep.
This disease may show symptoms like restless leg syndrome and chronic insomnia. But this blanket can successfully eliminate those symptoms, thus allowing you to sleep like a baby.
Bamboo is softer and cooler than traditional materials like polyester and cotton. This means you can use this blanket both during winter and summer. Staying awake for hours can make you frustrated and restless. Once you start using this blanket, all those discomforts go away.
- It is a premium-grade weighted blanket that mimics the sensation of being hugged or held.
- The cool glass beads and cool-to-touch bamboo fabric make this blanket suitable for winter and summer.
- The comparatively less fiber-fill and breathable material maintains your body temperature while you sleep.
- It comes in bamboo viscose fabric which is more resilient than cotton.
Parkinson’s affects your daily life significantly. You become restless easily, can’t concentrate, and quickly feel tired. All these also affect your sleep because you remain disturbed at the back of your mind. After all, this isn’t the life you prefer. And so, you should turn to Degrees of Comfort Cooling Weighted Blanket because it can calm your mind and make you fall asleep quickly.
Staying up all night means you won’t have the energy or willingness to do anything in the morning. That can be highly frustrating. Instead of experiencing that feeling for days, you should immediately start using this weighted blanket. While this is one of the best-weighted blankets around, the only drawback you can pick is that it is only available in one color and one size.
- Comes with a 365-day money-back guarantee
- Calms your body and mind quickly
- Not too heavy for those who feel suffocated under heavy blankets
- Reduces symptoms of fatigue and exhaustion, anxiety and nervousness, and racing thoughts.
- Provides soothing pressure without making you feel uncomfortable
Now that you have a list of weighted blankets, choose one that suits your budget. They are all recommended by experts and those who have Parkinson’s. You can see more of my favorite weighted blankets for the seniors here.