If a person you care about has problems with walking or incontinence, you know how difficult a trip to the bathroom can be.
Luckily, bedside commodes for the elderly are convenient, comfortable, and safe to use. They bring peace of mind so you don’t have to dread going to the toilet. Or worry about making it on time. Bedside commodes are very convenient and affordable solutions to a serious problem.
These mobile toilets for the elderly come in different shapes and sizes. First, I’ll give you a list of my favorites. Then, I’ll also let you know what to look for when buying one.
Recommended Bedside Commodes for the Elderly
UltraCommode™ Foldable Commode/Shower Chair
$199.00 in stock
- EXCEPTIONAL COMFORT- Soft, padded, warm seat base, backrest and armrests makes the UltraCommode the worlds #1 most comfortable commode chair. Commercial grade PU foam will never absorb water, prevents sliding and is easy to clean and disinfect. CAN ALSO BE USED AS A SHOWER CHAIR!
- PROPERLY SIZED- Extra large seat is 16” x 16” and width between armrests is 20”. Compare these dimensions to competitive commodes- most of which are too small to be useful or comfortable. Carefully review the 1 star reviews of competitive products to avoid disappointment.
- SUPERIOR ACCESS- 100% open front allows for proper and effective wiping and cleaning. No metal bar or toilet seat in the way like old-style commodes. Unique pivoting armrests provide even more convenience as they can be completely swung back out of the way for more access to the body or for safer and easier transfers on and off the chair.
- FAST, EASY ASSEMBLY- Can be assembled without tools in less than 60 seconds. Medical grade rust-free aluminum frame and commercial grade construction for safe, solid, long term reliability and durability. Adjustable height seat for the perfect fit. INCLUDES FREE COMMODE PAIL WITH COVER.
- MODERN DESIGN- No more need for embarrassing, clunky, monotone commodes that look like they have been around since the 1950s. The UltraCommode features contemporary blue or gray padding options with modern brushed aluminum frame. CAN BE FOLDED IN SECONDS FOR EASY STORAGE AND TRAVEL.
I’ll start off with the best. This portable toilet is a great option for people who want a comfortable commode.
This is a high-end product that had padded seat and armrests that can be moved. The height of the chair can also be adjusted to make it easier to get on and off of.
This seating area is large and has an open front for easy hygiene. The maximum weight for this commode is 300 lbs.
A huge benefit of the UltraCommode is that it can be folded or assembled without tools in less than 60 seconds. This makes it great for storage or travel.
Plus, the padding won’t absorb water and the aluminum frame won’t rust.
Drive Medical Steel Folding Bedside Commode
- Elastic cord allows legs to be folded up to reduce size for storage and transport
- Durable plastic snap-on seat and lid installs without pushing buttons.Width 18 inches between arms and 22.5 inches outside
- Grey powder coated steel welded construction increases strength and durability; Legs fold up for smallest folded commode
- Comes complete with 7.5 qt commode bucket with carry handle, cover and splash shield
- Seat Dimensions: 15"(D) x 13.5"(W) x 16.5-22.5"(H); Outside Legs: 22.25"(W); Width Between Arms: 18"; Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
Next, we have a basic portable potty for adults that will do the job. It is my budget pick, because you get a well built product. It has a steel frame which opens and folds easily for storage and transportation. The capacity is 350 lbs.
It comes with a snap-on seat and lid as well as 7.5 qt commode bucket with a cover and a splash shield. This commode can also be used as a raised toilet seat.
It’s very easy to clean and some people even used it as a shower chair. The price for the quality is great.
Medline Elements Bedside Commode
- Height-adjustable seat and armrest aid getting on and off; Seat adjusts in 0.5" increments for a perfect fit;Dark bronze finish and style suits most decors
- Elongated seat opening and adjustable contoured backrest ensures roomy comfort; Height of the product leg - 19 inches
- Flat-seat lid cover discretely conceals commode when not in use, elongated seat opening ensures roomy comfort. Can be used over toilet to raise seat, enhancing stability, splash guard included for over-the-toilet use
- Supports up to 400 pounds, tool-free assembly; Commode height can be adjusted in increments of .5” to a maximum of 22.5” tall
- This shower chair is infused with Microban Antimicrobial Technology | Microban antimicrobial technology inhibits the growth of stains and odors from bacteria, mold & mildew and keeps your bath safety products cleaner for longer
I think this is the best looking chair on my list. It looks a lot like a regular chair And, let’s face it, people coming to your home are probably going to see it..
The seat and backrest are made from hard plastic but are still comfortable. The plastic is infused with Microban Antimicrobial Protection which inhibits growth of microbes that cause stains and odors.
The commode has an aluminum frame with 400 lbs maximum capacity.The seat can be finely adjusted in 0.5 inch increments so the chair becomes a perfect fit for most people.
The seat opening is elongated and the backrest is adjustable. The flat-seat lid cover even conceals the commode nicely. It can also be used over a toilet to raise the seat, increasing stability. A splash guard for over-the-toilet use is included.
Medline Heavy Duty Padded Drop-Arm Commode
- Arms swing out of the way for easier lateral transfers on and off the commode
- Transfers are easier for patients using a wheelchair. Not latex free
- Place near the bed with near arm down for patients transferring during the night
- Padded Commode, G98204: 350-lb. (159 kg) Weight capacity; Seat height range, 20"-25" (51 cm-64 cm); Seat depth, 18"-20" (46 cm-51 cm); Width between arms, 18.5" (47 cm); Overall width, 22" (56 cm)
- Non-Padded Commode, G98202: 300-lb. (136 kg) Weight capacity; Seat height range, 18.25"-23.25" (46 cm-59 cm); Seat depth, 18"-20" (46 cm-51 cm); Width between arms, 18.5" (47 cm); Overall width, 22" (56 cm)
This bedside commode offers improved access.
The armrests can be dropped with a simple push of a button which helps users in a wheelchair. With this feature, they can more easily slide on and off the toilet.
In addition to movable armrests, this potty chair also has padded seat and backrest for increased comfort. Handgrips are padded with foam so they don’t slip either.
It is heavy-duty and durable. Maximum capacity is 350 lbs. Included with this commode you get a pail, a lid and a splash guard.
When you remove the backrest, the commode can be used over a regular toilet seat too.
Duro-Med Commode Chair, Heavy-Duty Steel Commode
1 used from $88.09
- EASILY HAVE YOUR COMMODE CHAIR WHERE YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE needs it, by the bed, in the living room, or wherever is most convenient. FSA eligible.
- A STURDY TOILET SAFETY FRAME AND COMMODE TOILET CHAIR that makes getting up and sitting down significantly easier while providing the stability you deserve. Easily positions over existing toilets. Supports up to 500 pounds.
- CONVENIENTLY ADJUSTS TO YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES HEIGHT from 19 to 23 inches in 1 inch increments. Width between the toilet safety frame arms is 26 inches and width between the legs is 26.5 inches. Depth is 18.5 inches. Weighs 19 pounds.
- STEEL COMMODE HAS PLENTY OF CAPACITY with a 7 quart pail that easily slides out along with a lid that rests on top.
- WARRANTY AND GUARANTEE: Amazon Exclusive Limited warranty may apply. Please see product for additional details. NOTE: we can only guarantee the quality of this product when sold through Amazon.com or Brazos Walking Sticks.
This mobile toilet is the best choice for larger people since it has a capacity for up to 500 lbs. With 23 inches between armrests it’s extra wide so you don’t have to worry about room. The height is adjustable from 16½ to 23½ inches.
Like most others on this list, it can be used as a seat over a regular toilet for improved comfort and safety. The pail is steel and easy to clean. This commode can also be useful for people recovering from surgery or with hip problems.
Shopping Guide: Important Bedside Commode Features
When shopping for a bedside commode the most important feature to look for is that the elderly person can use it easily without problems.
Tips for Using a Portable Commode
Using a bedside commode shouldn’t be difficult.
Using a Portable Commode Over a Toilet
Some bedside commodes can be used over regular toilet seats instead of having to get a taller toilet.
This feature improves safety for elderly when getting on or off because commodes have handlebars on the sides to help them remain stable. Also, most regular toilet seats are too low for people who have problems with bones and muscles.
A bedside commode also elevates the seat making it easier for them to use the toilet. Just remove the bucket from underneath and straddle it over your existing toilet.
However, if you want to use a commode like this make sure that the one you buy is tall enough to fit the toilet you have at home.
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ
There are a few common concerns about mobile toilets that people have. I will try to help and explain so you have a clearer picture when getting one.
What is the Safest Way to Use a Portable Toilet?
How Do I Clean a Bedside Commode?
Most commodes are easily cleaned, and the bucket should be emptied as soon as possible to eliminate odors. You should clean the container with a toilet brush, disinfectant and water. The body of the commode should be wiped with disinfectant.
TidyCare Commode Liners – Value Pack
- LEAK RESISTANT - We stand behind our products 100%...without question or excuse.
- SANITARY & HYGENIC - No more wiping out what is left behind in dirty commode buckets.
- EASY TO USE - Remove the liner from the commode, pull the draw tape closure and tie it closed. Simply discard the liner.
- CONVENIENT - TidyCare commode liners fit standard commode buckets and are easily disposable.
- If absorbency is a feature you are looking for, search for TidyCare Convenience Pack (12 count) and Convenience Pack XL (24 pack). Convenience Packs have super-absorbent pads to contain the liquid waste. TidyCare Convenience Pack is a complete NO YUCK solution for your caregiving responsibilities.
These liners can be of great help for cleaning, because they are mess free. They are easily adapted into the bucket, and are waterproof. Afterwards, dispose of the liquid in a toilet. Then pull the strings on the sides to tie the bag and dispose of it as you would of a regular diaper.
How Much Does a Bedside Commode Cost?
As I’ve discussed in the text, you can get a budget friendly commode for as much as $34, going up to over $200 for more premium products.
Are Bedside Commodes Covered By Medicare?
Yes, with the correct paperwork, documentation, and an order from your doctor, bedside commodes are a covered item under Medicare.
Bedside commodes are sometimes necessary to make life easier. They shorten the distance you have to go to use the bathroom. So, they might prevent an accident. They definitely make your trip to the bathroom shorter.
Do you have another potty chair that you recommend? Do you have a question I haven’t answered? Tell me about it in the comments below!