The feet, just like other parts of the body aren’t immune to the changes associated with growing older. Physiological changes take place as the body ages, which makes seniors more susceptible to foot problems and foot pain.
Unfortunately, seniors that suffer from foot problems and pain often find that it is not only a hindrance to their everyday activities but also more basic functions such as maintaining balance, going up or down the stairs, or even getting out of bed.
Best Orthopedic Shoes for Senior Men
New Balance Men’s MW577 Hook and Loop Walking Shoe
If you are looking for the best orthopedic shoes for walking, you shouldn’t look further than the New Balance men’s sneaker. It features a leather upper as well as hook-and-loop closure.
There are also several closure options and even includes a lace-up style. It is the perfect shoe for a wide variety of foot sizes and shapes. To ensure optimal foot health, the shoes come equipped with a padded tongue to help tighten it enough to ensure the best arch support.
- Stylish and durable
- Padded tongue with Velcro Straps
- Exceptional arch support
- The insole slips and runs narrow too
Hush Puppies Men’s Gil Slip-On
The Gil Hush Puppies are exactly what every elderly man needs to promote foot health. The shoes feature a hook -and-loop closure that make it comfortable to wear and look stylish too. The insole has a lightweight construction while the outsoles are 4 times lighter.
The outsole features a rubber construction to ensure the best traction. The uppers, on the other hand, are made of leather and adapted to the foot if you need a full size. The shoes look great with both casual and formal wear.
- Stylish and classic look
- Feature a shock absorbing rubber
- Have a hook-and-loop system
- Come with a removable and lightweight footbed
- Tend to stretch out over time
OLUKAI Men’s Nohea Mesh Slip-On Shoes
The Olukai Nohea Slip-On Shoes can be worn just about every day. The shoes have a mesh upper that is quick-drying and provides exceptional airflow. To make it even more enticing, the shoes come with a 1-year warranty.
The Olukai Nohea Slip-On shoes come with a versatile heel and can be worn either as regular shoes or as slide-in slippers. The anatomical footbed comes with a microfiber lined cover and is removable too. It can be used with custom orthotics lines.
- Removable footbed with an anatomically correct construction
- Feature a drop-in heel and are versatile to wear
- Made with an all-weather outsole as well as a moisture wicking lining
- Users have complained that the shoes don’t offer enough arch support when needed.
Birkenstock Boston Soft Footbed (Unisex)
If you are looking for a comfortable and supportive sandal, your search stops with the Birkenstock Unisex Suede Clogs. The upper is made of oiled leather that provides sufficient support for the foot while the footbed features a cork construction with EVA foam outside.
The shoes are extremely durable, breathable, and have a personalized fit. The insole has a suede structure and is soft against the skin. The shoes have ample space in the toe area while the footbed provides great stabilization.
- Adjustable uppers
- Cushioned outsole
- Features an anatomically correct footbed
- Great for people suffering from arthritis
- The shoes don’t do so well in wet conditions
Best Orthopedic Shoes for Senior Women
Propet Women’s TravelActiv Woven Athletic Walking Shoe
The Propet Women’s TravelActiv Shoes is not only practical but also trendy. It is a lightweight sneaker that comes in a wide variety of colors as well as a lacy design. The shoes come with a replaceable cushion and still feels like a regular shoe on the feet.
The upper is flexible and ideal for those that suffer from bunions or other sensitive foot problems. When it comes to cushioning the Propet Women’s TravelActiv comes with an EVA outsole while the fabric is Scotchgard protected.
- Suitable for people with flat feet and a high arch
- Come with a removable cushion with a flexible knit upper
- Trendy to wear with either casual or formal wear
- Made with lace enclosure, which isn’t ideal for physical activities
Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk 4
These shoes feature a good, soft sole and are as close to seamless as you can get, meaning that they are highly unlikely to cause blisters. Plus, they’re Skechers so they look great. If you need the performance of a ‘practical’ shoe but want to keep a youthful outdoorsy look, then this is a great compromise.
These shoes are designed to be comfortable when you’re on long walks.
- Sketchers look good
- Lightweight and won’t cause blisters
- Not a ‘true’ orthopedic shoe so may not offer enough support for everyone
- The grip on the sole could be better
Propet Women’s W3851 Wash & Wear Slip-on
These slip-on shoes from Propet are stretchy and lightweight, with a non-slip sole. The nylon collar of the shoe is very stretchy which makes it easy to put these shoes on and remove them. They have a trainer-like appearance and make great house shoes for an older woman who wants supportive shoes with good treads and grips for maximum traction. They are affordably priced too.
- Easy to put on and remove
- Good sole
- Designed to be a house shoe, so not ideal for going out and about
- The nylon collar may become slack over time
Orthofeet Best Bunions and Heel Pain Relief Stretch Shoes
These shoes look a lot like trainers, but have good heel support and are ideal for people who struggle with bunions or arthritic foot pain. They are lightweight and comfortable, and have a generous fit which makes them good for those with diabetic foot issues as well.
The Ortho-step cushioning system helps to take the pressure off your joints when you walk, which is a boon for those with arthritis. Many people with diabetes have poor circulation to their feet, which can lead to issues healing minor foot injuries. These shoes offer good protection.
- Supportive design to reduce joint pain
- Straps for easy wear/removal
- Ortho-step cushioning to make walking long distances easier
- More expensive than some less “engineered” shoes
- Some people find that the velcro snaps open easily
SAS Women’s Roamer Slip-On Loafer
These slip-on loafers have a wide, slip-on heel and a velcro strap with extra padding to minimize rubbing. They are designed to be as comfortable and supportive as possible for diabetics, while still being cute and fashionable. This makes them a good choice for seniors who want to maintain their independence and still dress for confidence when they are out and about.
SAS is a brand that is known for offering maximum comfort, and they have delivered that once again with this stylish set of loafers for women. These shoes will look great with a dress or a suit.
- Good looking, classic loafer design
- Wide heel
- Good support
- Padded velcro strap
- Medicare approved
- The shoe sizes run small compared to other brands
- The soles are quite slick
Most Common Foot Problems Experienced by Seniors
- Arthritis: It can cause feet to be swollen and painful. Gout and rheumatoid arthritis can lead to foot deformities that can make each step painful.
- Bunions: Bunions occur if you have a misaligned bone or bony growth at the bottom of the big toe. It can cause the big toe to start turning inward toward the small toe and the bone can become incredibly painful.
- Heel Pain: If heel pain is chronic, it can be annoying and some may even brush it off as a simple inconvenience. Unfortunately, its effects on the ability of seniors to perform simple activities such as walking can make life quite the struggle.
- Diabetes: It tends to disrupt circulation to the feet or inhibit feeling in the feet. Seniors suffering from diabetes may also have ulcers on the feet that simply won’t heal.
Orthopedic Shoes to Address Foot Problems in Seniors
Walking and staying active are an essential part of a healthy foot regimen. Mobility strengthens the muscles of seniors and helps them maintain stable weight, so that they are less susceptible to serious injury if they become ill or are injured.
Wearing orthopedic shoes is a great way for seniors to enhance mobility and minimize foot pain and maintain healthy feet.
The right orthopedic shoes can help with some of the most common foot problems that seniors suffer from and provide exceptional arch support. With the right heel support, orthopedic shoes can prevent heel pain and support the ankle for the right posture when walking. If you are a senior suffering from foot problems, consider trying out the shoes featured here.