As we get older, it becomes more difficult to get out of bed if the mattress is close to the ground. Getting out of a taller bed is easier because it requires less work to push up and squat down. Many of the standard bed frames today are pretty low, so you probably need that extra boost in order to make it easier to get in and out of bed. Taller beds can become a factor in bedroom safety for the elderly too.
There are many options out there you can take advantage of. You don’t need to buy a brand new bed or frame! Check out the options below and see which would be best for you in terms of comfort and installation.
Use Bed Risers to Raise Your Bed Frame Height
Bed risers are probably the most simple tool you can use to make your bed taller. They go right underneath the feet or wheels of your bed frame, and come in all sizes. You can raise your bed anywhere from an inch to 8 inches with these simple little tools.
Home-it White Adjustable Furniture Lifts
$17.99 in stock
- Limited time offer price may increase soon -- this item is 100% satisfaction
- Customize to you own needs: extra 8" High extra 5" High or extra 3" High, the opening is 3" X 3" X 3/4" Deep
- Bed riser safely support a total of up to 1, 300 pounds! Won't scratch or dent hardwood floors
- Bed lifters or caster fits safely and securely into the recess Cup built into the bed riser adjustable bed riser system instantly creates additional under bed storage
- Bed frame risers high Quality bed lift great idea for storage under the bed
Most bed risers come in sets, and on top of being great for raising the height of the bed, this also creates a brand new storage space under the bed as well! These risers come in white or black and are a set of 8. Four of the risers are 3” high and the other 4 are 5” high, allowing you to raise the best height up another 3, 5 or 8 inches. Their modular design allows you to stack them on top of each other, giving you that super high 8” boost if you want it.
These risers can support up to 1,300lbs. and won’t scratch or dent your flooring. The feet or wheels of your bed will fit securely into the cup part of the risers, giving you peace of mind and all the extra height you’d need.
Define Essentials Heavy Duty Multi Height Bed Risers
2 used from $17.18
- Adjustable Bed Riser System Instantly Creates Additional Under Bed Storage - Modular design - 8 total pieces for up to 8" of under-the-bed clearance
- Customize to you own needs: Extra 8" High, Extra 5" High or Extra 3" High
- Heavy-duty construction; holds up to 2,000 pounds
- Safe, strong, stackable and easy to use - Won't scratch or dent hardwood floors - Used for virtually any furniture with 4 legs
- LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE – You are protected for life, through our lifetime replacement guarantee program. If anything at all goes wrong, we will send you a replacement absolutely free, no return required!
This is a similar set to the Home-It, with 8 modular designed risers that allow you to lift your bed 3, 5, or 8 inches. However, it’s got a more heavy duty construction, and can hold up to a whopping 2,000 pounds without scratching up floors. If you have a heavier bed frame, these are a better option to go for.
iPrimio Aluminum Bed Riser - 5.5 Inch Lift
- HEAVY ALUMINUM DUTY TOWER: PATENT PENDING DESIGN - It Won't Crack Like Other Lifters - Our STRONGEST and SAFEST Lifter (#1 Complaint Eliminated by our Design). Aluminum Will NOT BEND or BREAK. Great for Beds, Couches, Armchairs, Desks, Sofas, and more. Lifts 5.5 inches for Stationary Items. `
- SAFE ON WOOD FLOORS: We Molded an Exclusive Rubber Bottom Mat (removable) to PROTECT your WOOD FLOORS. Also, prevents your Bed and Furniture from Sliding Across the Floor and Rolling. Easily Remove Rubber Bottom when Using Over Carpet.
- MOST STABLE SQUARE DESIGN & EZ Vacuum: A Little More Expensive, but Worth It. Our ABS Plastic Base is a Square Design. Easier to Vacuum next to versus Round Designs. Lifts Extra Heavy Bed, Living Room Furniture, Desk Raiser, and Home Office Furniture. Stand Assist - Raise Height of Chair to Stand Up Easier.
- SAFELY INCREASE STORAGE UNDER BED: Lift Height is 5.5". Inside dimension of holder is 2.75 inches. Increase Height and Lift Bed to Store Items - More Storage Space Instantly. Create More Storage Under Beds and Furniture. Great for robot vacuums.
- REGISTERED USA BASED BRAND AND TRUSTED QUALITY PRODUCTS - We are USA based Home Products Brand trusted and reviewed by thousands of satisfied happy customers. We develop and design the products by listening your needs and concerns. We always take care of customers queries and go beyond to make you happy with our customer service.
For a slightly different design and even more supporting capacity, check out these aluminum bed risers. The aluminum construction is extremely heavy duty, supportive, and durable, as these can hold over 9,000 pounds per leg – which means about 36,000 pounds overall.
It can do all of this without scratching your floors. This is guaranteed because of the rubber bottoms. This keeps your floors safe, and also prevents your furniture from potentially slipping and sliding with the risers. This set also allows you to raise your bed higher than the others – up to 5.5 inches – so although it’s a bit more expensive, it’s worth the investment if you need that big height increase.
Use Mattress Toppers/Support Systems To Raise Your Mattress Height
Another innovative way to make your bed taller is with a simple mattress topper or wedge. Typically, these may be easier for seniors to install because it doesn’t require picking up the entire bed, just the mattress. While you won’t get quite as much height from these as you would from bed risers, you also get the added benefit of extra comfort and support from your mattress, making for a better night’s sleep.
READ MORE: Best Mattresses for Seniors and the Elderly
Here are some of the best ones on the market today.
LUCID 3-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
1 used from $61.98
- 3 inches of ventilated gel memory foam adds softness and pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress at the shoulders,hips and knees
- Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsive
- Ventilated design improves airflow for a more comfortable sleep climate
- Memory foam is infused with a plush gel material that captures heat to control temperature
- New foam scent is normal and will dissipate over the first 48 hours after opening; this product features a 3-year warranty
For a little 3” boost, check out Lucid’s memory foam mattress topper. It’s made out of gel memory foam, unlike most other memory foam toppers, which adds extra pressure relief on certain points in the body and traps heat. The design is also optimized for maximum airflow and ventilation, keeping your body at the ideal temperature for sleeping all night. Simply place the mattress topper on your mattress, cover it with your fitted sheet, and doze right off.
Linenspa 4 Inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper - Queen
1 used from $91.44
- Super plush 4-inch memory foam topper is infused with gel to help regulate temperature so this topper sleeps cooler than a regular memory foam topper
- Light and breathable open cell memory foam conforms to the curves of your body, aligns the spine, and relieves pressure points
- Certipur-us certified means this high-quality memory foam is made with no harmful chemicals and meets all safety standards
- Allow 48 hours for new foam smell to dissipate; gel infusions create a calming and contemporary blue swirl design; Materials: 100% Polyurethane Memory Foam Gel Beads
- Designed to soften any sleep surface and built to last, this topper is backed by a 3-year warranty against manufacturer defects
This is an Amazon bestseller, possibly because of the comfort memory foam and the unbeatable price. It adds an extra 4 inches to your bed, also more than most other toppers, which average around 2 inches. Two and a half inches of this topper is made of high-density foam for support, and the very top (1.5 inches) in memory foam. It’s easy to clean and comes with a polyester mesh zippered cover as well, and absorbs any motion so you don’t disturb your partner. This is a great two-in-one product for extra height and extra comfort all night.
Avana Mattress Elevator - Under Bed 7-Inch Incline Foam Support, Queen
- Avana Mattress Elevator provides a 7” to 1” incline down the full length of the bed.
- Foam bed riser that provides a safe and drug-free solution that may naturally help with symptoms of Acid Reflux and GERD through elevation and lift. Optional Cotton Covers are also available (sold separately)
- Install under the mattress and enjoy the full comfort, width, and length of your original mattress. Split design allows for easier placement and removal between mattress and box spring. The full-bed-length provides additional mattress stability and support.
- For queen sized mattresses, supplied as two 30” wide incline slants. Ships roll compressed to save on shipping and reduce our carbon footprint – opens instantly without distortion. Made with pride at our facility in Atlanta, GA – Thank you for supporting over 170 American workers!
- Avana foam is approved under the CertiPUR-US program (see below for more info). One year 100% perfect guarantee: If you have any quality issue please call us at 1-866-384-2802 (M-F 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM EST). If there is any defect with your product, you are covered under warranty.
Finally, consider a mattress wedge to elevate your bed as well. Most mattress toppers give you an overall boost in height, but these wedge design toppers provide extra height for your upper body, alleviating acid reflux, sleep apnea, snoring, and more at night and making it easier for seniors to get up and out of bed. The inclined design provides comfortable support and added height, so see if this kind of mattress topper would work for your lifestyle!
Summary and Final Comments
If you’re a senior’s caretaker looking for an easy way to make their bed taller, bed risers are probably the best option. However, if you’re a senior looking for an easy way to elevate your bed, I’d go with a simple mattress topper because they’re much easier to install. You can even get 2 if you really need that extra height. Either way, raising the height of your bed is a great idea so that the pressure on your arthritic hips and knees is relieved when getting into and out of bed.
If more help is needed to help get in and out of the bed, also take a look at my guide to standing bed rails. These bed rails help give a stable place for seniors to hold onto while entering or exiting their bed for additional safety.
Do you have any other tips for making beds taller? Share them below.